• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can you walk to Crossroads from DTD?

duchy

Earning My Ears
Someone has suggested that it's feasible to walk from the DTD hotel area to Crossroads.
Is this true-both from the point of view of walking distances and also footpaths?

It is one mile from one end to the other with a sidewalk along the road. It's quite pretty and so, yes, you can walk it if you have the time and the energy. ;)

:D It can be done...but if you are going to do it in the summer or early fall please remember the high heat & humidity. The two combined would make it an unejoyable walk.:D

Actually we'll be checking into Pop Century in January so the heat/humidity isn't an issue.
I'm looking forward to a cooler trip with low crowds. Our trip is two weeks so we're intending to take a nice easy pace. I don't commando the parks anymore and the first timer who is coming with us is happy not to too :)
Thanks to Debbie and Steve for such fast replies

Keep in mind that the intersection you need to cross to enter the Crossroads is very large and very busy. Of course, there are crosswalks, but that intersection may not be for the faint of heart.

Wow, that's it? Only a mile? We were driving and it sure seemed further than that, lol. :teeth:

Dbf and I walked it last March and it was an okay walk...I'm not much of a walker but it was very humid that day which made it somewhat unenjoyable but I'll be walking it again in May so it wasn't that bad...

We didn't think the walk was bad at all. Of couse if you're planning on doing any shopping like at Gooding's supermarket and carrying bags back- well thats another story.

As far as the intersection goes, if I remember correctly, it has one of those countdown type walk/don't walk signs, so you know how much time you have to cross without having a panic attack (that's me!) half way across the street.

OK Now I know what a crosswalk is !! :)
I'm a Londoner by birth so quite used to hair raising road crossings so I think I'll be able to cope...Just have to remember to look the "wrong" way ;)

Be really careful walking down the Hotel Blvd. A couple of years ago I thought I was going to be mugged. A guy walked out of this swampy area near the exit Hotel Blvd exit to Crossroads. He literally out of a swamped in area. I don't know if he had been sleeping there or what? He looked really dirty and out of sorts. He kinda hesitated and sat down on a bench we were going to pass. I had this overwhelming, terrible gut feeling we were going to be mugged. I was carrying a cooler I bought at Goodings so we totally looked like tourists. There were no other people walking on the sidewalks. He was watching us and we decided to walk back to Crossroads and get a cab instead. I'm glad we did. I consider myself pretty street smart living in this city. Heck I used to take the subway by myself at 1 am after work and then walk down a long residental street to get home, but this situation got my dander up. Anyhow, just be really careful if you do choose to walk. The sidewalk is far from the hotel entrances there isn't a lot of pedestrian traffic.

Originally posted by epcotfan
Be really careful walking down the Hotel Blvd. A couple of years ago I thought I was going to be mugged.

I'm fairly "street wise" and rely on my instincts.
I've been in situations were something hasn't "felt right" and I've done what you did and jumped in cab or similar.
If your internal warning system is screaming out and it doesn't usually-I believe you should listen to it !
Too many people don't take the usual safety precautions they would always take at home-just because they are on vacation.
It's a good reminder-thank you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter