Can you walk easily from MK handicap parking?

Mom2six

DIS Veteran
We are driving this next trip to Disney and I was wondering about parking at Magic Kingdom. We will be parking in the handicap parking. Will we be able to walk into MK or will we have to take transportation from the lot to MK? I don't really want to take the transportation if I can avoid it easily.

It's a LONG walk to the TTC from the handicap parking area. If the eligible person can manage a couple of steps, it makes more sense to use one of the medical spots in the regular lot combined with the tram.

There is no way to walk into MK. The handicap parking is a long walk from the parking lot to the front entrance of the TTC. If you can walk you would be better off parking near a tram stop and riding it in. Once you are in you will either need to get on the monorail or ferry boat to get to MK.

They do have manual chairs in the HC lot that you can use until you get to the park to get a rented one. The walk is kinda tough from the blue lot to the TTC, Then you gotta use the ferry or the monorail to get you to the parks. That is the worst park for the HC parking area if walking out of all 4 of the parks.

You can only take the manual chairs as far as the store before the monorail
And, there is no guarantee that there will be wheelchairs available. They do try to bring them back to the wheelchair coralle, but sometimes there will be times when all are out.
Your shortest walk at all parking lots will actually Be parking in the regular lot And using the trams.

Oh, bummer. Is there a way to drop someone off by the MK gates and then go park? Or at least by the ferry or monorail?

You can drop someone off at the front of the TTC and then park but the only access to MK is resort buses, ferry or monorail.

You can only take the manual chairs as far as the store before the monorail

And, there is no guarantee that there will be wheelchairs available. They do try to bring them back to the wheelchair coralle, but sometimes there will be times when all are out.
Your shortest walk at all parking lots will actually Be parking in the regular lot And using the trams.

And sometimes people take them all the way into the parks to use as their wheelchair for the day. :confused3 On multiple occasions I've seen the parking lot wheelchairs with the markings and the big poles sticking out of them inside of the parks. I can't believe that they let them come through the turnstiles.

And sometimes people take them all the way into the parks to use as their wheelchair for the day. :confused3 On multiple occasions I've seen the parking lot wheelchairs with the markings and the big poles sticking out of them inside of the parks. I can't believe that they let them come through the turnstiles.
I've seen it too and it always makes me wonder.

that only goes to show that the CM @ the turnstile either didn't notice it or they don't want to say anything to confront the guest ... and in all honestly, how can they not notice? :confused3 It isn't Magical when you hear a disruption entering the park .... now that is only my opinion on it.. :( and I could very well be wrong...

I too have to agree, if the person can walk a little, you are better off parking in the regular lot and catch the tram. However, when you get there, try to explain to the CM signaling you to turn (parking) into the row that you need something close to the tram side and not the exit side ;) or you will end up with a very long walk in the row. It won't hurt that much going in, but it might coming out after a long day ::yes:: If you explain nicely, they may do it. I have seen people do this & they do allow them to pull into spots closer and then have the rest of the cars continue down the row...

I too have to agree, if the person can walk a little, you are better off parking in the regular lot and catch the tram. However, when you get there, try to explain to the CM signaling you to turn (parking) into the row that you need something close to the tram side and not the exit side ;) or you will end up with a very long walk in the row. It won't hurt that much going in, but it might coming out after a long day ::yes:: If you explain nicely, they may do it. I have seen people do this & they do allow them to pull into spots closer and then have the rest of the cars continue down the row...

does anyone know why they simply don't just put 2 or 4 HC marked spots at the tram end of every row?

I push my mom in her wheelchair when we go. We park in the handicapped parking and I just push her to the TTC...she is unable to climb onto the tram which is why we opt to do it that way. I personally don't find the walk from parking to TTC that bad, but now that I know I can drop her off closer then go park, I think we will do it that way.

The worst part of getting to MK is trying to push her up the ramp to the monorail - sometimes we're lucky and a nice man will see me struggling and offer to push her up! ;):blush:

If you go on Bing.com maps, and find WDW (Bay Lake is a bit SW of Orlando) you can zoom right in on the parking lot, and see the arrangement there. HC parking is easy to see - it has hashmark areas between all the parking spots, for accessibility.

You go down into the tunnel, out the other side, and through the 'gates' up to the monorail or ferry.

If you have your own chair, is there a place fold it and put in on the tram?

I push my mom in her wheelchair when we go. We park in the handicapped parking and I just push her to the TTC...she is unable to climb onto the tram which is why we opt to do it that way. I personally don't find the walk from parking to TTC that bad, but now that I know I can drop her off closer then go park, I think we will do it that way.

The worst part of getting to MK is trying to push her up the ramp to the monorail - sometimes we're lucky and a nice man will see me struggling and offer to push her up! ;):blush:
Not that far for pushing a wheelchair, but many people park there without a wheelchair who expect it to be like handicapped parking for stores - close and a short walk.

Not that far for pushing a wheelchair, but many people park there without a wheelchair who expect it to be like handicapped parking for stores - close and a short walk.
I have to agree that the HC parking at MK is not that pleasant. I would only park in HC if the person is in a chair and cannot get onto the train. There is one portion of the walkway from HC that goes under a road and it was probably the most challenging push in all of WDW.

So complicated! I guess if needed we can drop my mom off at the gate. I don't want to start the day off going on the tram - my youngest DS4 may get upset about it because he has never been on a bus and I don't want to effect the day. He's been on the ferry. I had heard that you could walk from the Contemporary Valet parking - is that true and are you allowed to the valet parking there if not a guest of that resort?

So complicated! I guess if needed we can drop my mom off at the gate. I don't want to start the day off going on the tram - my youngest DS4 may get upset about it because he has never been on a bus and I don't want to effect the day. He's been on the ferry. I had heard that you could walk from the Contemporary Valet parking - is that true and are you allowed to the valet parking there if not a guest of that resort?

You can't drop anyone off at the "gate" at MK. There is a drop off at the TTC, but you would still need to ride the boat or monorail to get to the "gate" at MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter