Can you use pools at Disney Resorts if staying elsewhere?

*** - No wonder there's so many problems in the world today - this really is common sense. Think of it this way. After your nice day at the parks, you decide to take a swim at your resort and thousands of non-paying guests turn up. If you want to spend time at the Boardwalk, pay to stay there.

I'm not really sure we can blame the problems in the world on a few people who want to use a Disney pool without paying for the privilege.
I have already said in this thread that I enjoy looking around the Disney hotels and grounds, and having the occassional character meal when we are there, but have never expected access to the pool areas, or any other areas that should be the preserve of paying guests only.

just playing debils advocate here....so is it acceptable for non residents to visit hotels and look at trees and decorations,gingerbread houses etc, or are we saying just the pool area

I think it's acceptable to have a look at the pool area. We've done this when we've been visiting AKL, the Poly, and Beaches and Cream for a meal. Having a look is very different to actually using their facilities! :rotfl:

so is it acceptable for non residents to visit hotels and look at trees and decorations,gingerbread houses etc, or are we saying just the pool area

I don't recall disney hotels allowing people in 'just for a look round', and in fact the year before our first OKW stay we went there to do just that and were politely asked to go away. The same happened last year when we went to see what Horizons by Marriott was like, and we were staying over the road at another Marriott.
Since then, whenever we've gone to a Disney hotel to use the restaurant without a Disney hotel parking pass we've been asked for the reason for the visit and on occasions our ADR number.

It's actually one of the reservations I would have about the AKL and WL, all the sightseeing restaurant guests. Every time we go to either of them for dinner we join the hordes of people wandering round the pools waiting for the bleeper to go off.

I don't recall disney hotels allowing people in 'just for a look round', and in fact the year before our first OKW stay we went there to do just that and were politely asked to go away.

I am shocked you were asked to go away.
All Disney hotels are open for anyone to look around. At Xmas we went to Poly, WL, Contemp and others to see all the tree decs, another was Beach club to see Gingerbread Carousel, also GF to see Gingerbread house. All you do is drive upto the gate and tell the Cast memebr you want to look around, they will let anyone in with Photo ID.
Other was AKL but we did also have an ADR there.
They actually create the gingerbread House & carousell to attract people there to look at. The Gingerbread house at GF also has a shop inside it to sell gingerbread items.

like Wayne.. we have always said we are here to look around and they happily let us in every time ... :)

I have to agree with the above posts.

At our last visit we were staying at the Wilderness Lodge and went on the monorail to go and look at the Contemporary, Polynesian and the Grand Floridian.

Admittedly we were not arriving by car but nobody queried us as we wandered round looking like a pair of gormless visitors!!!! We even bought drinks using our KTTW and it wasn't an issue.

I can understand that you may be queried if you arrive by car but how could they stop you if you arrived on the Disney Bus or monorail?

@ Kenny - I think a lot of problems are caused by folk who want something for nothing, regardless of how it affects others.

@ Wayne - I guess it would more likely be folk driving there who would use the pools or leave their car at BW or BC to visit Epcot or MGM, so I'm not surprised they turn them away.

If people want to look at the decorations and stuff, it's easy enough to use the Disney transportation system. It would really suck if you were staying at BC and couldn't park your car because non-residents had parked there to go to Epcot.

@ Wayne - I guess it would more likely be folk driving there who would use the pools or leave their car at BW or BC to visit Epcot or MGM, so I'm not surprised they turn them away.

If people want to look at the decorations and stuff, it's easy enough to use the Disney transportation system. It would really suck if you were staying at BC and couldn't park your car because non-residents had parked there to go to Epcot.

I totally understand the concerns at parking free to goto the parks, that is why they issue short term parking permits to visitors if they think you are trying to abuse the system, personally I have never been issued a permit, just asked to show ID and waved thru.
What I am saying is I am shocked someone has been turned away at all, The resorts ARE open to anyone and everyone, car or monorail, onsite or offsite guests. The resorts are not just hotels, they are shops, places to eat, pin trade + other activites open to everyone.

Almost without exception, hotels are open to non-guests. It's in their interests to encourage use of facilities such as restaurants, bars and shops. Disney is no different in that respect and actively promotes such activity. It follows that some abuse of non-chargeable facilities, particularly pools, will occur (and I'm not just talking Disney; there are some fabulous pools at the upmarket hotels around Orlando). Luckily, most people don't misuse the pools or parking and, on the whole, the scale of the problem is minimal and has no discernible impact on paying guests. At those resorts where it is more widespread, Disney has put in the necessary controls to prevent it. Universal has apparently had to introduce similar measures recently, albeit I think the issue was with locals rather than tourists.

When Animal Kingdom Lodge first opened, there was a policy of not allowing access just for "looking". You had to have some kind of reservation (either room or restaurant). I can understand that - the place would have been mobbed. It didn't take long for the novelty to wear off, though, and the policy was revised. Like others here, we've visited most of the resorts (whilst staying both onsite and off) with the stated purpose of "having a look around" and we've always been welcomed.

ETA: Almost all hotels in the area offer free valet parking for those visiting to eat - that's how much they value the custom of "outsiders". Disney offers the same incentive for those with the Tables in Wonderland card. Without this income stream, the rooms would be a lot more expensive.

as wayne said you just inform guard you wish to look around/shop or eat at resort.You will be let in to do so,can be at any time of year
Paulh
This isn't strictly true. At the particularly busy times of the year, i.e. 4th July and Thanksgiving/Christmas, access to the hotel parking lots is usually reserved exclusively for those staying at the hotel or for those with an ADR arranged.

This isn't strictly true. At the particularly busy times of the year, i.e. 4th July and Thanksgiving/Christmas, access to the hotel parking lots is usually reserved exclusively for those staying at the hotel or for those with an ADR arranged.

I was suprised they let us park at GF at Xmas, although no problems parking at any resort. GF did have a board out saying limited parking was in force.

I
It's actually one of the reservations I would have about the AKL and WL, all the sightseeing restaurant guests. Every time we go to either of them for dinner we join the hordes of people wandering round the pools waiting for the bleeper to go off.

and me being one of them wandering around ther pools :lmao:

we went to WL for a meal at whispering canyon and then went to have a wander outside...

I am shocked you were asked to go away.
I can't remember the exact details of the conversation but we weren't going to eat or shop, just to look at the place before we put in for a timeshare exchange there. The security guard told us that they valued the privacy of their guests and if we wanted to we could arrange a tour through a DVC rep.
The guard at the Marriott gave more or less the same response to the same request.

and me being one of them wandering around ther pools :lmao:

And us:thumbsup2

Note.. I've edited this because I misread the post I quoted. Sorry!!

Strange, I've been to both Marriott and DVC resorts saying I wanted to look around as I was considering staying there and never had a problem. This last trip was especially easy if you were staying at another Disney hotel as all they want to see is a room card. no photo id. Different from previous trips.

Must be the way I look then :crazy2:

:rotfl2:

You need to change your look :rotfl2:

If I ever know where we are going for our next trip while we are out there I go look and ask to see a room, did it last Easter, went to look at Country Inn and suites as I had booked it for August, Just went in and asked to see a room and their facilities, first the guy on the desk gave me a keycard to an unmade room but manager came running after us with another for a clean room. Told us to take as long as we wanted and look around. They just kept my Driving License while we had the keycard.
Never a problem onsite or off. I would possibly cancel if I was told I couldn't look.

You need to change your look :rotfl2:

Seriously! I'm getting quite worried :sad1:

The bloke at the marriott was quite firm. I was hoping at least someone else had been blacklisted.
And I'm not even going into the time we got thrown out of Curious George's water bit at IOA for not being kids!!!

And I'm not even going into the time we got thrown out of Curious George's water bit at IOA for not being kids!!!

NOOOOO!!!!!! you are not serious, that is the main reason we buy AP's for Universal. I would be gutted being kicked out of there we spend at least 4 hours in there every time we go, about once a week while we are there.

IMG_2195.jpg

IMG_2194.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter