Can you use Disney Visa Rewards for DCL Transfers

Momof2MSgirls

Earning My Ears
We are sailing in May 2012 on the Dream. I have been a lurker for months, but this is my first post so be gentle. :)

I have accumulated quite a bit of Disney Visa Rewards and want to know can this be used to pay for the return DCL transfers and if so how? We are renting a car on the front end and dropping before we board, but would like to use DCL transfers to return to the airport after the cruise, as it will be much easier for us to not have to handle our luggage again until we land in Memphis.
Thank you for your guidance. I really appreciate the time everyone takes to answer questions, it is so helpful.

We are sailing in May 2012 on the Dream. I have been a lurker for months, but this is my first post so be gentle. :)

I have accumulated quite a bit of Disney Visa Rewards and want to know can this be used to pay for the return DCL transfers and if so how? We are renting a car on the front end and dropping before we board, but would like to use DCL transfers to return to the airport after the cruise, as it will be much easier for us to not have to handle our luggage again until we land in Memphis.
Thank you for your guidance. I really appreciate the time everyone takes to answer questions, it is so helpful.

I believe (and, if I am wrong, someone please correct me), that you can pay for the transfers on board the ship--if so, you can just put your Disney Rewards Points on your shipboard account. (I know you can do this--we paid some of our gratuities with our rewards card on our last cruise.)

Thank you mellers for your reply! Has anyone else had experience doing this? Would it be possible to put the Disney Rewards on the onboard account prior to sailing, or can that only be done once onboard?

You can call DCL (your TA will need to do this if you used one) in advance and add one way transfers to your reservation--and pay for them at that time with the rewards points. Just be aware that if you cancel for any reason, they will go back on the card as reward points. It is preferable to book in advance as then your KTTW card will be keyed to indicate that you have paid for the transfers. If you book them on the ship, you'll need to keep your stateroom account receipt handy to show the CM at the podium that you have paid as the KTTW will not indicate it.

Also...you can use your reward card to pay off your account at GS--paying for any excursions, tips, etc. Actually, we always do this. My goal on the cruise is to not pay any cash/visa--to use my OBC and then any reward points. It usually works! (meaning I usually have enough)

Disney Rewards can be applied ahead of time by calling DCL and adding them. You can also add them once you get onboard the ship. If you add Disney transfers to your reservation before your final payment they will be added on to your final balance to be paid off at your due date.

If you add transfers while you are onboard then you pay however you plan on paying off your onboard account.

Now, the way OBC's or Disney Rewards applied to your onboard account work is like a declining balance. You can't really "earmark" the money for a specific thing. You would add the Reward dollars to your account and then as you purchase things or book excursions or transfers onboard the amount will decline until it is used up. Then, each time you purchase something else onboard it will just add up on your onboard account. How you pay off the onboard account at the end of the cruise is up to you. You can either pay it off in cash or leave it to roll onto the credit card you assign to the onboard account.

If you really want to just use the reward dollars for transfers only....you would have to book your return transfers at the end of the cruise and apply your reward dollars at the same general time to pay it off (after all your other onboard charges are paid off).

Another thing to consider is if you want to take part in DCL's onboard airline check in program you will have to have your transfers booked ahead of time and register for the program at the terminal.

What I am trying to get across is once you put the reward dollars on your account and depending what you purchase first, second, third, etc the money will be used up. Let's say you put $200 reward dollars on your account. You by a few drinks, book some excursions, some spa treatments....your reward dollars will be used up as you purchase things.

MJ

Thank you kcashner and MJ, I was hoping one of you would reply since you both have such a wealth of knowledge and I got you both! Thank you again! I should have enough rewards to cover DCL return transfers, all onboard expenses, tips, excursions, etc, so excited about that! Thanks for advisement on how to handle transfer portion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter