Can you use Disney Gift Card to pay for dining?

CrystalS

DIS Veteran
I was looking at the current promotion where you can get a $300 gift card right now by staying at a value resort.
I was wondering if I could use that giftcard to add the dinning plan to our stay?

I have no idea if they give you the card when you show up, or if you get it in the mail before the trip.

Just wondered if anyones done it before, of if anyones asked yet?

Thanks!

As far as I know you cannot. They give you the card at check-in and the free dining has to be paid no more than 3 days out from your arrival. I am no expert but this has been our experience. We arrive in the morning. :banana::banana:

You cannot use the gift card to pay for the dining plan.
The dining plan needs to be added and paid in full 72 hours before you check in. You receive your gift card when you check in. :)

I'd suggest only buying 1-day base park tickets and then using the gift card to upgrade the tickets. That way, you are essentially using the gift card to pay for part of your total package, which is what you're trying to do.

I'd suggest only buying 1-day base park tickets and then using the gift card to upgrade the tickets. That way, you are essentially using the gift card to pay for part of your total package, which is what you're trying to do.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can do that anymore. I think Disney changed that and now you have to buy tickets for your length of stay. You can add the hopper option, WP&M, and/or non expiration, but I think it automatically gives you base tickets to match your number of nights, without the option of decreasing park ticket days.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can do that anymore. I think Disney changed that and now you have to buy tickets for your length of stay. You can add the hopper option, WP&M, and/or non expiration, but I think it automatically gives you base tickets to match your number of nights, without the option of decreasing park ticket days.

Really? When did that change? We were able to book a package with one day tickets this past Dec and upgraded them a few days before we arrived.

Really? When did that change? We were able to book a package with one day tickets this past Dec and upgraded them a few days before we arrived.

I think they started doing that for their special deals like this gift card one. I went and priced a 7 night stay under the gift card promo and it automatically priced in 7 day base tickets, although it did give the option of getting just a 5 or 6 day ticket which only saved $12 at most :confused:....but it did not give the option of getting just a 1 day park ticket.

You have to book the full 5/6 days of tickets. You can make them base MYWtix and then add on ph and wpm when you get there. You can also upgrade to APs. Also, you cannot upgrade at your hotel. You must go to guest services inside the park.

Why would you pay for the dining plan if it's free? Are you talking about purchasing the dining plan at the regular price? If so, you wouldn't be able to do that as others have said.

Why would you pay for the dining plan if it's free? Are you talking about purchasing the dining plan at the regular price? If so, you wouldn't be able to do that as others have said.

The dinning plan isn't free.....

You wouldn't be able to get both the gift card and the free dining. You're limited to one discount per reservation.

If you intended to use the gift card included with some current promotional packages to pay for a dining plan, you can't do that either. You won't receive the gift card until you check in, and your entire package including any dining plan add-on must be paid for before you arrive.

It is a condition of some of the current discount offers that you must buy length-of-stay tickets with certain discounted packages.

yes, you can book *a* package w/a one day ticket but you cannot book *this* particular promotional package (gift card "giveaway") w/less than a set number of days which is defined by your number of nights (you can reduce it by 2 less than the # of nights i believe)

another option for the OP is to add no dining plan and use the gc to pay for meal oop

Each promotion has its own rules if you have to buy a specific number of days ticket... You could however use to upgrade to hoppers or waterparks n'more once you arrive..

You may want to see what the price is for the other promotion running right now...the percentage off the room one...and add the dining plan...and see what the difference is.

I switched from the gift card, and added the QS plan and it was pretty much the same price cost wise, but we'd be coming out ahead

With a 5 and 7 year old, we're still in the quick service kind of thing and don't want that many TS meals right now. But we would EASILY go through that gift card in 8 days.

We went last year on the 4/3 deal with gift card. You cannot use the gift card toward a dining plan HOWEVER there is a way around it...

What you do is this...

purchase your dining plan either in a QS plan or the FULL dining. Use the gift card TOWARD tips and/or toward meals you eat outside the QS plan. Your tips and anything you add to your DP by purchasing on your KTTWC (key to the world card) can be charged to your room. Last year we charged everything to the room outside of what we wanted on our DDP. It allowed us a lot more flexibility with snacks, some QS at our resort etc so any types of foods we wanted beyond our dining plan were covered when we checked out!

Have fun!!

:lovestruc

:thumbsup2

Why couldn't you buy the QSDP and then if you want a TS, use the gift card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter