Can you upgrade from MYW to DVC AP mid trip?

mcrabeck

DIS Veteran
Appreciate if anyone knows if we can upgrade mid trip to a DVC AP from a 6 day park hopper? and where you do this? Thanks!

Appreciate if anyone knows if we can upgrade mid trip to a DVC AP from a 6 day park hopper? and where you do this? Thanks!

2 more things to keep in mind-

1. If you bought the tickets from a ticket seller (like AAA, undercover tourist, etc) or a Disney MYW package (instead of a direct ticket purchase from Disney) you should make sure you know the gate price of the ticket you have to be applied toward your DVC annual pass. They should price bridge your ticket giving you the current gate price (as long as you have used it already).
2. If it is some type of a special ticket like the convention tickets some "magical" travel agents sell with their packages they cannot be upgraded to AP.

2. If it is some type of a special ticket like the convention tickets some "magical" travel agents sell with their packages they cannot be upgraded to AP.

Well this stinks we just booked and put down the deposit with plans of upgrading to AP's. Sent an email to my agent asking to confirm. I guess we will be canceling and booking via Disney.

Thanks for the insights on this. We were also considering upgrading our 6day park hopper to DVC AP during our trip coming up soon.

With the Memory Maker inclusion, is there a complication to the timing of the DVC AP activation during a park visit?

I.e. Since the first three days following Memory Maker acquisition is unusable, does the Memory Maker "perk" begin upon activation of the AP or the purchase of the DVC AP? To avoid losing three days of the Memory Maker Is it possible to activate an AP remotely (not in a park, and elsewhere across the US) four days in advance of the trip? Is there a more advisable method to consider Memory maker and DVC AP upgrades?

Thanks very much for your time and thoughts!

You can't activate an AP anywhere but at WDW itself.

If you are upgrading a park hopper to an AP while you are there, I believe you can do it at any time, but if you are going to do it after the ticket has been used, the activation date of your AP would be the date you first used the ticket you are upgrading. If you were to use a ticket to enter a park today, on the 21st, even if you use that ticket for three days and upgrade it on the 24th, the activation date on your AP would be the 21st and it would expire on the 21st of next year. So if you want Memory Maker it makes more sense to just upgrade the ticket on the 21st after you have used it to enter a park, unless there would be some other unknown reason to wait three days to do the upgrade.

Not sure I know what it means that the first three days after Memory Maker acquisition is "unusable." I've never had Memory Maker but I could see and download photos as soon as I got my gold AP.

The reason to do it after using the ticket is that if you purchased a discounted ticket from a third party seller, the discounted price will be "bridged" for the upgrade, but only after the ticket has been used. If you didn't purchase a discounted ticket you can upgrade before or after using the ticket to enter a park.

Last edited:
It is my understand if you buy annual passes the 1 year expiration does not start until the first day you use it assuming you don't upgrade an existing ticket. I also know that AP holders often times get discounts on rooms. Do you have to activate your AP at the park before you qualify for the room discount? I.E. I purchase annual passes in December with plans on using them in March. Can I book a hotel in March with the annual pass discount, assuming they have one, even though my AP's will not be activated until the beginning of the March trip?

I can add some insight on memory maker - I believe it will be retroactive. Here is why -

We purchased our APs on Nov 4, but we had 'friends' with an October trip just prior. I was immediately able (and still can) download their photos. Each photo seems to come with a 1 year lifespan effective immediately.

If you just flat out buy an annual pass, the expiration period starts running the day you ACTIVATE the AP (meaning you go to a ticket window or Guest Services and put the activation process in gear). Not on the first time you use it. Activation and use are two different things with an annual pass. If you activate your pass at Guest Services today and then don't use it to enter a park until a week from now, your pass period still starts on the 21st, and it will be good through the 21st next year.

This is in contrast to regular tickets, where the clock starts running on their expiration the first time they are used to enter a park. You can't use an annual to enter a park until after you have had it activated. But you don't have to activate it and use it on the same day, although it's possibly preferable to do it that way.

I believe you can make an AP room reservation before you have activated your pass, but they may ask you to come back to the front desk within a day or so to confirm you have an active pass.

Last edited:
You can't activate an AP anywhere but at WDW itself.

If you are upgrading a park hopper to an AP while you are there, I believe you can do it at any time, but if you are going to do it after the ticket has been used, the activation date of your AP would be the date you first used the ticket you are upgrading. If you were to use a ticket to enter a park today, on the 21st, even if you use that ticket for three days and upgrade it on the 24th, the activation date on your AP would be the 21st and it would expire on the 21st of next year. So if you want Memory Maker it makes more sense to just upgrade the ticket on the 21st after you have used it to enter a park, unless there would be some other unknown reason to wait three days to do the upgrade.

Not sure I know what it means that the first three days after Memory Maker acquisition is "unusable." I've never had Memory Maker but I could see and download photos as soon as I got my gold AP.

The reason to do it after using the ticket is that if you purchased a discounted ticket from a third party seller, the discounted price will be "bridged" for the upgrade, but only after the ticket has been used. If you didn't purchase a discounted ticket you can upgrade before or after using the ticket to enter a park.
We have package tickets that we want to use to renew our annual passes. Our AP's expire Nov 30th and we'll be in Disney on Dec 3rd. So we will be within the 30 day period to get the renewal discount. The package tickets were bought before the price increase, so I want to get the current value of the ticket, not the purchase price, applied to our renewal. Do I need to use the package tickets before bridging them if I want to get both the current value and the AP renewal discount?

Thanks for any help. :)

We have package tickets that we want to use to renew our annual passes. Our AP's expire Nov 30th and we'll be in Disney on Dec 3rd. So we will be within the 30 day period to get the renewal discount. The package tickets were bought before the price increase, so I want to get the current value of the ticket, not the purchase price, applied to our renewal. Do I need to use the package tickets before bridging them if I want to get both the current value and the AP renewal discount?

It can depend on which CM you get behind the desk at Guest Relations or a ticket booth.

It can depend on which CM you get behind the desk at Guest Relations or a ticket booth.
Then I guess I will try to get the renewal before I use the package tickets. If they can't do it for the correct cost then I guess I will have to try it the other way. We'll be attempting this at the International Gateway, so hopefully they know how to do it.

Then I guess I will try to get the renewal before I use the package tickets. If they can't do it for the correct cost then I guess I will have to try it the other way. We'll be attempting this at the International Gateway, so hopefully they know how to do it.

If you don't use the tickets first you have no chance of getting the bridge pricing?

If you just flat out buy an annual pass, the expiration period starts running the day you ACTIVATE the AP (meaning you go to a ticket window or Guest Services and put the activation process in gear). Not on the first time you use it. Activation and use are two different things with an annual pass. If you activate your pass at Guest Services today and then don't use it to enter a park until a week from now, your pass period still starts on the 21st, and it will be good through the 21st next year.

This is in contrast to regular tickets, where the clock starts running on their expiration the first time they are used to enter a park. You can't use an annual to enter a park until after you have had it activated. But you don't have to activate it and use it on the same day, although it's possibly preferable to do it that way.

I believe you can make an AP room reservation before you have activated your pass, but they may ask you to come back to the front desk within a day or so to confirm you have an active pass.

Thanks this clears up a lot. Going to give Disney a call to see about getting AP discounts prior to activating AP's.

I can add some insight on memory maker - I believe it will be retroactive. Here is why -

We purchased our APs on Nov 4, but we had 'friends' with an October trip just prior. I was immediately able (and still can) download their photos. Each photo seems to come with a 1 year lifespan effective immediately.

I will second this. We became AP holders on our trip last October. Our first Disney day was on the 21st but we only went to MNSSHP and used party tickets. The next day, we entered the park for the first time with our 5 day hoppers and upgraded them to APs that day. I can still pull up and download our MNSSHP pictures even though we didn't have an active AP until the next day. So no matter when you upgrade during that trip, you should be able to download all your photos with the MM inclusion on the AP.

Thanks this clears up a lot. Going to give Disney a call to see about getting AP discounts prior to activating AP's.
You can book a room with an AP rate prior to having your AP. Many plan to get their AP or activate their AP voucher after arriving at DW, but book a room in advance with an AP rate. When you check in the castmember at the desk might ask you to return with your AP within a day or two, others won't ask at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter