Can you tell me your experience with Soarin?

MsPeggySue911

DIS Veteran
I just read and posted in a thread that was asking if ppl wanted Soarin to change the scenes in the film.

Of course I don't know if this is needed because I have never ridden it.

I have read about Soarin in the guide books but I am still not clear on exactly what it is/what happens during the ride.

I know you sit in seats that possibly raise you in the air? You watch a film about scenes in California and you may feel wind or smell things?

Tell me what your experience is on Soarin.

This is the ride I am most looking forward to. I hope I don't expect way more than it is and then end up disappointed with it but it sounds amazing. From what I read on here it is the most popular ride at Epcot next to Test Track.

How would you explain it to someone who has never been there or ridden it? (me)

I just noticed my ticker. Only 129 more days!! I could squeal!

Soarin' is an experience meant to simulate being a hang-glider out in California. You're seated in a long row of chairs that are lifted high in the air, while facing a large movie screen. The chairs tilt and fans blow air and scents at you while the scenery on the screen in front of you depicts oceans, mountains, trees, etc. There's really not much more to say to describe the experience. You simply have to ride it and see for yourself, because it can't be put into words. I don't know anyone who has ever come off it the first time without saying "wow!"

Soarin' is one of our favorite rides. I must tell you, I was nervous when I first rode it, I am a chicken. It's very mild and smooth. I can't help but get a little teary eyed to when we fly over the castle. PLEASE don't leave there without riding it.:lovestruc

The thought of being raised really high in the air scares me too but I am determined to go on it. I will feel like I missed out if I don't get to ride it.

I wonder if Soarin is one of the rides that is open during Epcot's morning EMH.

The ride takes you up high then tilts you forward? Do you feel like you are going to fall out of it?

A very gentle ride - you sit down in one of several tiered rows, and then the entire thing lifts up so that your feet are dangling. You tilt from side to side and swing as you watch a movie of flying over California. Wind blows in your face. Sometimes you can smell orange blossoms. It feels like you should be able to kick the tree tops with your feet.

It never feels like you're falling, and you do not tilt forward, despite the restraints.

Essentially, it's a very, very nice simulator ride. I think it's a wee bit over-hyped, but that's just because I've been on lots of simulators at various museums and theme parks around the country. If you haven't done lots of simulators before, you'll be blown away. (So to speak... ;))

You are meant to feel like you are touring California via hang glider. If you want the best experience, ask for "front row, center." You may have to wait for the next show, but to me it's worth it to do at least once. That way you don't get any feet dangling in your way.

You could try searching UTube for video, but it really won't be the same. You are lifted up in front of a giant round screen, the wind starts blowing through your hair, and you smell the ocean, pine trees, orange groves, etc. Look for the hidden Mickey on the golf ball that flies up towards your face. There's another big one at the end - you can't miss it!

The thought of being raised really high in the air scares me too but I am determined to go on it. I will feel like I missed out if I don't get to ride it.

The ride takes you up high then tilts you forward? Do you feel like you are going to fall out of it?

There are three levels of chairs the highest maybe 30 feet up the lowest maybe 10 or a little bit more. You can ask for a lower seat but most prefer the highest.

The motion in the chairs is minimal, maybe 3 or 4 inches in any direction and smooth.

It is not at all like a thrill ride that whips you around. Imagine sitting in a like a lawn swing and someone gently swaying it back and forth to simulate hang gliding. Most of the motion is in the film very little in the seats.

And YOU MUST RIDE IT.

Here is a pic of the seats.

picfornewsletter1202003disneyCaAdvSoaringRide.JPG

I would suggest not looking at you tube videos as they don't do the show justice and don't show you how the ride works.

MsPeggySue... Yes, I still feel like I am going to fall out. The first time a child 8 or so sat next to me. I have no clue who he was, but, he kept looking over. OMG, I keep throwing my arm (reflex,I am a mom too) to like push him back. It was very hard for me not too. His mom (thankfully) understood and laughed.

I just keep my head forced to back of the chairlift and that makes it easier for me.

For me Soarin is the most amazing ride I have ever been on. It completely relaxes and calms me.

I am afraid of heights (not as afraid as I am of SNAKES!!!:scared1:) but still can't climb more than the first 3 steps of a ladder and I have never felt unsafe on Soarin'. It is just an incredible ride because I can "hang glide" without actually doing it (NO WAY!!!)

My biggest suggestion other than waiting for section B row 1 that first time you ride (so worth the wait) is to take your shoes/flip flops off. You can either put them in the little pouch under your seat or do what I do, leave them right on the floor. When you come back down, they'll be right at your feet again!! AHHH the feeling of the air between my toes and I know if I just stretch enough, I can put my toes in the ocean!!!!:rotfl2:

Just wanted to add that any tilting forward is simulated by the film and is not really happening in your seat.

The seat tilts back, left and right maybe two or three degrees and mimics what is shown on the screen so it only appears that you tilting back and forth a lot.

Like any simulator, if you close your eyes the "motion" stops.

Thanks for all your help. I am really looking forward to going on it. Not sure if I wanna spoil the surprise my watching the YouTube video of it.

Although I did watch the YouTube video of Wishes 2011 in HD and it was awesome. It made me even more adamant that I want to see it. Same with the MSEP. I watched it and now want to see it. It also made me realize I do not want to see Fantasmic. I watched the YouTube video of it and didn't see anything that my kids would be in awe of or anything that is worth waiting in line an hour and a half over.

Have any of you ever been in Epcot during morning extra magic hours? Is Soarin open during EMH?

I agree with those that have found Soarin to be a pretty gentle ride. I was personally a little bit disappointed with Soaring the first time I rode it, but I did have huge expecations from reading reviews online.

The second time I rode it, one year later, I had very little expectations since I had been disappointed with it before, and I actually enjoyed it a lot more. I still think its a little overrated, but that's of course my eprsonal opinion, and I know a lot of people that love it.

The final scene is my favorite part. :thumbsup2

One of my favorite rides, its a must do when we go. I'll say this much my mother is not a "ride" person, she usually sits and wait for my wife, father and I to get off rides, but she is CRAZY about Soarin, she loves it and thats all she talks about. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do :thumbsup2

MsPeggySue... Yes, I still feel like I am going to fall out. The first time a child 8 or so sat next to me. I have no clue who he was, but, he kept looking over. OMG, I keep throwing my arm (reflex,I am a mom too) to like push him back. It was very hard for me not too. His mom (thankfully) understood and laughed.

I just keep my head forced to back of the chairlift and that makes it easier for me.

I love leaning forward and looking down to the ground. It freaks DW out every time I do it! :rotfl:

I just read and posted in a thread that was asking if ppl wanted Soarin to change the scenes in the film.

I think the reason some people want the film changed is that it was filmed for California Adventure. It was sucessful out there so they installed it at Epcot. I read that orginaly they planed on filming "Soarin' over the Wolrd" but it never happened. There is nothing wrong with the film it is just kinda weird that they show this great California tribute...in Florida. lol

It is a great ride tho. Look the hidden Mickey, it is my favorite part of the film. :goodvibes

Have any of you ever been in Epcot during morning extra magic hours? Is Soarin open during EMH?

Yes, Soarin is available during AM, and PM, EMH.

It's a family favorite for us too. Fantastic, relaxing, smooth, very enjoyable.

The levels off the ground for each row are approximately as follows: Front row - 30-40 feet high, second row, 20-30 feet, third row 10-20 feet.

We prefer the front row, no feet in the way which provides a better view.

I think the reason some people want the film changed is that it was filmed for California Adventure. It was sucessful out there so they installed it at Epcot. I read that orginaly they planed on filming "Soarin' over the Wolrd" but it never happened. There is nothing wrong with the film it is just kinda weird that they show this great California tribute...in Florida. lol

It is a great ride tho. Look the hidden Mickey, it is my favorite part of the film. :goodvibes

I wouldn't mind too much if they added another film, but I don't think I want them to replace the current film. I love it too much! :goodvibes

I am very bad with heights and in general don't enjoy thrill rides, but I do love Soarin'. The lift is very gentle and really doesn't give you the sensation that you're way off the ground. I obviously can't speak for how someone else will handle a ride, but I suspect you'll be far more anxious the first time you ride it than you need to be. I know I was, but that feeling went away almost as soon as the ride started.

I have read about Soarin in the guide books but I am still not clear on exactly what it is/what happens during the ride.

I know you sit in seats that possibly raise you in the air? You watch a film about scenes in California and you may feel wind or smell things?

Tell me what your experience is on Soarin.

This is the ride I am most looking forward to. I hope I don't expect way more than it is and then end up disappointed with it but it sounds amazing. From what I read on here it is the most popular ride at Epcot next to Test Track.

How would you explain it to someone who has never been there or ridden it? (me)

I just noticed my ticker. Only 129 more days!! I could squeal!

I love Soarin. I do wish they would change the scenes. Being from Chicago they could have you gliding over Wrigley Field, the lake, Sears Tower. Even New York, and other cities would be good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter