Can you split DCL credit?

You are paying the price of the cruise when you book it. The only grandfathering that some have had was to have their placeholder carried over.

Well, I should qualify, because my cruise is the same price as it's opening day. I don't know how they'd give you the same price as when you booked your old cruise, since many of those cruises weren't offered when these cancelled ones were booked. I guess they could offer opening day prices. So, I guess I don't know definitively if that's an across the board answer.
I get it.

Now, another question. If you take the credit and the new cruise costs less, you can apply your overage in the credit to your onboard account, correct?

Can 2 people (who have the 125% credit) book a room for 3 and use all their credit to cover the room cost? Or would the 3rd person (who wasn't on the cancelled cruise) not be covered by the credit?

It's my understanding, based on the comment that the credits are not transferable to someone else, that the third person would have to pay, not be covered by the remaining credit. But, it's totally worth asking about. I mean, if they'll use that credit to cover just about anything else, it's possible, I suppose. Like I said, I asked about subbing in one person for another and was told no transfers.

It's my understanding, based on the comment that the credits are not transferable to someone else, that the third person would have to pay, not be covered by the remaining credit. But, it's totally worth asking about. I mean, if they'll use that credit to cover just about anything else, it's possible, I suppose. Like I said, I asked about subbing in one person for another and was told no transfers.
Yeah, it would be kinda a gray area. And DCL may just look the other way in that case. I know on another forum I'm on, someone has posted that they asked DCL about the specific situation I posted about and were told yes. :confused3

Sorry, I should think before pressing enter... I wanted to add:

If you have extra credit that would add up to a third person's fare, think of ways you would normally spend on the ship and see if that doesn't add up to a similar amount. For me, I know the excursions we will take and the tips will take up the remaining credit. If I were to add another person, I could negotiate to pay their fare, since I won't be paying for my excursions. It would come out the same, but the timing of spending the money would be different (now instead of on the cruise).

Yeah, it would be kinda a gray area. And DCL may just look the other way in that case. I know on another forum I'm on, someone has posted that they asked DCL about the specific situation I posted about and were told yes. :confused3
While I'm sure they are mostly on the same page, maybe it depends on the CM you talk to, as well.

I chatted with a nice CM at DCL about some of these questions. She said if we moved our May cruise, our 10% off and OBC moved to the new sailing, even if the new cruise was past the 2 year deadline. She also said you have to pay prevailing rates when you book your new cruise, even if you booked your cancelled cruise opening day. This makes every cruise we can book at least $1000 more since we lose opening day prices.

Sorry, I should think before pressing enter... I wanted to add:

If you have extra credit that would add up to a third person's fare, think of ways you would normally spend on the ship and see if that doesn't add up to a similar amount. For me, I know the excursions we will take and the tips will take up the remaining credit. If I were to add another person, I could negotiate to pay their fare, since I won't be paying for my excursions. It would come out the same, but the timing of spending the money would be different (now instead of on the cruise).

Yeah, I mentioned this to my wife last night but in reality we wanted to bring my mother-in-law at no cost to her (or us) which is why we were trying to use the credits. We can actually pull this off credit-wise and still have a little extra for excursions, tips if we book in off season.

I have an email out to my TA for confirmation on whether this can be done. I'll keep everyone posted on what she says when she gets back to me.

Anyone know if, when you switch cruises, you're paying the upcharge to the prevailing cost of the cruise, of if you're grandfathered into the price it was when you made your original reservation?

The credit is applied to current pricing. There is no "grandfathering" of the price.

We'd be moving from one 4-5 person verandah room for my family of 5 to two of those same rooms adding my mother-in-law. So we'd have 6 in two 4-5 person rooms.

There are 2 guests with 125% credit based on full adult fare for the canceled cruise. You also have 3 credits equal to 125% of the 3rd-4th-5th person fares on the canceled cruise. How that all translates to 2 staterooms on a new cruise depends on several factors (length of cruise, cabin category, current price of new cruise, etc.). Remember, 1 or 2 of those 3rd-4th-5th passenger fares are going to now become full fare in the 2nd stateroom. Plus the additional 6th guest will pay full fare. If you were planning rebooking to an equivalent cruise (# of nights and stateroom category), you are most likely looking at a good increase for the new cruise even with the credit. If you really want to add the extra guest and split into 2 staterooms, you may need to consider a shorter cruise and/or a lower category stateroom. You're just going to have to get some quotes to see how that might all work out for you. Good luck!

If you take the credit and the new cruise costs less, you can apply your overage in the credit to your onboard account, correct?

Can 2 people (who have the 125% credit) book a room for 3 and use all their credit to cover the room cost?
I think it may depend what is being charged. Probably not for things like tips/Palo/Remy/spa/excursions that are charged to specific guests. It may work for things like souvenirs or beverages/snacks IF one of the guests with the credit does the buying/ordering, because other than tracking who's KTTW card was used there is no way to track who was the end recipient.

Enjoy your cruise!

I get it, doesn’t mean I have to like it. We are sailing concierge in late May and if they cancel the cruise the only option we have in the next 15 months is a B2B dream in late May. If I can’t apply the 125% credit to both of those then I would request a refund and will choose a different vacation next year since 100% back isn’t going to cover the additional cost at the higher rates. Seems silly to have a policy where it makes more sense to refund the money and watch customers go somewhere else then let it be applied to two cruises where they would probably come out ahead with us having spent even more money. Just my two cents.
Some lines will book a B2B as a single cruise, can DCL not do this?

Ive also seen people saying things like "the cruise is now $1000 more than opening day". Is there a place you can look up what pricing was on particular DCL cruises or are these people just really watching pricing carefully?

Some lines will book a B2B as a single cruise, can DCL not do this?

Ive also seen people saying things like "the cruise is now $1000 more than opening day". Is there a place you can look up what pricing was on particular DCL cruises or are these people just really watching pricing carefully?

I have hear that no, a B2B is two cruises and doesn't work.

You can track cruise prices on websites like Cruise Fish.

I chatted with a nice CM at DCL about some of these questions. She said if we moved our May cruise, our 10% off and OBC moved to the new sailing, even if the new cruise was past the 2 year deadline. She also said you have to pay prevailing rates when you book your new cruise, even if you booked your cancelled cruise opening day. This makes every cruise we can book at least $1000 more since we lose opening day prices.

The one exception that I found out when I rebooked was that you still can't use the 10% and OBC if the new cruise that you book is during a blackout period. I could only rebook during blackout periods so I lost our 10% discount and OBC.

Update from my TA backed up what others have said that the credit is per person and the rest will be OBC. So getting 2 rooms on a cheaper cruise seems to not be a problem. However, she implied that it couldn't be applied to the extra 6th person in our party. I asked directly again but doesn't look good by the way she answered. Like others have said, DCL may make some exceptions this time but it doesn't appear to be the rule.

Overall, we are a family of 5 with 2 adults and 3 children. All of us have credits from the previous cruise. We are attempting to add my mother-in-law. So I also asked if there was any way to put her as the 3rd or 4th person on the room so her fare would be the cheaper amount as we may be willing to pay that amount additional even if we can't pay with the extra credit. My guess is not as adults presumably use more of the ship's resources (i.e. food, drink) but we'll see.

So I also asked if there was any way to put her as the 3rd or 4th person on the room so her fare would be the cheaper amount
Adults default to the first 2 fares in a stateroom, and there must be 1 adult (age 18+) booked into every stateroom anyway. Depending on the value of the credits for your children, those may not be enough to cover a full adult fare on the new cruise. You could still offer to pay $X towards your MIL's fare, but I can't see a scenario where she would be a 3rd person fare unless at least one of your kids is over age 18.

Enjoy your cruise!

Adults default to the first 2 fares in a stateroom, and there must be 1 adult (age 18+) booked into every stateroom anyway. Depending on the value of the credits for your children, those may not be enough to cover a full adult fare on the new cruise. You could still offer to pay $X towards your MIL's fare, but I can't see a scenario where she would be a 3rd person fare unless at least one of your kids is over age 18.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks. That was my assumption. I think the credit of one of the kids was enough (since the new cruise was so much cheaper) but unfortunately it seems that credits can't be used on a new passenger by everything I've been told. Not a big deal, just trying to find a way to get my mother-in-law on the boat since she's never cruised before. :)

FYI. My TA just got back to me after calling DCL back again about my query. She said that the CM she talked to today said that the credits are per person but that the excess can be used for an additional passenger.

She also confirmed that she'd have to be at the higher rate as the adults have to be in the first two fare spots of a cabin as stated above.

Can the cruise credit be used for staterooms where Disney pick the room for you
The canceled cruise credit can be used for regular GTY - such as 4B GTY or 10A GTY.
I'm not sure it can be used for *GT offerings (IGT, OGT, VGT) because that typically requires a "new" booking. Someone will correct me if they have been able to use the credit for *GT.

Enjoy your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter