Can you split DCL credit?

Mantiger

Earning My Ears
We have a July 2020 cruise paid in full on the Dream. If DCL cancels our cruise can we use that credit to pay for 2 shorter cruises within the next year? We called Disney and asked and were told they were not sure. Hopefully one of you has attempted this. Thanks for your help!

Otten is correct. To add on, any money leftover after the cruise fare is paid with the credit from the cancelled cruise will be placed on your onboard account for that sailing.

I bit upset with DCL in this. We have Hawaii booked and could spread it over 2 cruises probably having to pay out of pocket for part of second. I just don’t get this policy?

I bit upset with DCL in this. We have Hawaii booked and could spread it over 2 cruises probably having to pay out of pocket for part of second. I just don’t get this policy?

Think of it this way, a lot of travel related businesses aren't offering refunds at all and are certainly not offering any additional credit. Airlines are only issuing travel credit which will be useless if they go bankrupt in the aftermath of this. Disney didn't have to offer any additional credit above what the cancelled cruise actually cost.

We have a July 2020 cruise paid in full on the Dream. If DCL cancels our cruise can we use that credit to pay for 2 shorter cruises within the next year?
Yes, if DCL CANCELS your cruise, you are eligible for a full refund. In that case, you can use those funds to pay for anything, including multiple shorter cruises.
If DCL cancels your cruise and they offer you a premium credit (such as 125% of your original fare) instead of taking a refund, then you are bound by the restrictions of that credit, which currently is that it only applies to one future cruise and any leftover funds get applied as a non-refundable on board credit.
Your choice. If you don't like the restrictions, then take the refund. If you are willing to follow the restrictions, then take the enhanced credit. (Assuming again that DCL cancels the cruise and it isn't your decision to not sail.)

Basically, it's "one for one". You have one cruise and you get a future credit if it's canceled to use on one future cruise.

I get it, doesn’t mean I have to like it. We are sailing concierge in late May and if they cancel the cruise the only option we have in the next 15 months is a B2B dream in late May. If I can’t apply the 125% credit to both of those then I would request a refund and will choose a different vacation next year since 100% back isn’t going to cover the additional cost at the higher rates. Seems silly to have a policy where it makes more sense to refund the money and watch customers go somewhere else then let it be applied to two cruises where they would probably come out ahead with us having spent even more money. Just my two cents.

Note that the extra money from the credit can be used for anything to do with that cruise, including airfare (from DCL), insurance (from DCL) or a land stay at WDW, as long as it's booked through DCL. I didn't ask if you could buy your next placeholder with it, though, so not sure on that.

Don't forget, you'll want to do excursions and will have tips to pay. The extra credit amount will be an OBC for you and it can be used that way. So, depending on how much extra you are ahead, your whole vacation could be paid for just like that.

What I find is a bummer is the 15 months. None of us knows how long this will go on, but if people are rebooking for a fall sailing, for example and it turns out the fall sailing are also cancelled, then what happens? I would have rather had at least 18 months. That would put bookings well into 2021, but then, I don't know what that would do for their bottom line.

I didn't ask if you could buy your next placeholder with it, though, so not sure on that.
My take is that you couldn't. Since you can't use OBC for booking onboard (you must use a credit card, it's not charged to your onboard account), I'd think credit for this could also not be used.

Anyone know if you could actually add another passenger to a future cruise? This would be a situation where all of the original passengers were also still cruising.

You can add, but I don't think you can use the credits for that person's fare. I did ask if a person could be swapped out and they said the credits were not transferable.

Anyone know if you could actually add another passenger to a future cruise? This would be a situation where all of the original passengers were also still cruising.
Best answer - maybe.

IF there's space in the room (can't put 5 people in a 4 person room)
IF there's space in the lifeboat for that room (there are more beds onboard than space in the lifeboats).
IF there's space in the appropriate kid's club (if applicable).

And, any people added will be at the prevailing price, not the price they would have been on the original reservation.

Best answer - maybe.

IF there's space in the room (can't put 5 people in a 4 person room)
IF there's space in the lifeboat for that room (there are more beds onboard than space in the lifeboats).
IF there's space in the appropriate kid's club (if applicable).

And, any people added will be at the prevailing price, not the price they would have been on the original reservation.

Thanks. We'd be moving from one 4-5 person verandah room for my family of 5 to two of those same rooms adding my mother-in-law. So we'd have 6 in two 4-5 person rooms.

So it seems we should be good for all those questions.

Thanks. We'd be moving from one 4-5 person verandah room for my family of 5 to two of those same rooms adding my mother-in-law. So we'd have 6 in two 4-5 person rooms.

So it seems we should be good for all those questions.
So you only had one room on the cancelled cruise? I believe the booking credit for the future cruise would only be for one room, in that case.

The credits are per person, not per room. You can book them how you like, but per person. If you wanted to go on a different cruise than your wife, you could, but you can't split the credits between two cruises.

The credits are per person, not per room. You can book them how you like, but per person. If you wanted to go on a different cruise than your wife, you could, but you can't split the credits between two cruises.
OK, so they can split into two rooms, but the 6th person they are adding to one of the rooms, will be paying the cost that a 3rd person would cost now, and not what the 3rd person would have cost had they been on the original reservation.

Anyone know if, when you switch cruises, you're paying the upcharge to the prevailing cost of the cruise, of if you're grandfathered into the price it was when you made your original reservation?

You are paying the price of the cruise when you book it. The only grandfathering that some have had was to have their placeholder carried over.

Well, I should qualify, because my cruise is the same price as it's opening day. I don't know how they'd give you the same price as when you booked your old cruise, since many of those cruises weren't offered when these cancelled ones were booked. I guess they could offer opening day prices. So, I guess I don't know definitively if that's an across the board answer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter