Can you skip HMH during Holiday Tour?

doog71

Earning My Ears
We're interested in this tour as a family but I've got at least two kids that won't like the Haunted Mansion Holiday ride.

Anyone know how they handle folks on the tour that want to skip this part?

Thanks!

When we did the holiday tour (Halloween) last year it took us on several rides. Space Mountain was one of them. For the people who did not go on the ride, a designated wait spot was picked so the tour could meet them there. This was near the ride exit.

You can skip the ride, just make sure your host knows you are doing it and they will tell you where to meet up.

We did the Christmas Holiday tour a couple of years ago. We waited opposite Rivers Of America and waited for the ride party to return. There were 2 families who didnt go on the ride.:)

Have your kids been on the ride before? Just curious as to why you think they may not like it. My DD loves this ride but hates the stretch room. So even now, after 6 years and a million rides (so it seems) She will still bury her head in my shoulder. But then she loves the rest- especially the overlay...

Have your kids been on the ride before? Just curious as to why you think they may not like it. My DD loves this ride but hates the stretch room. So even now, after 6 years and a million rides (so it seems) She will still bury her head in my shoulder. But then she loves the rest- especially the overlay...

They haven't been on it yet. We love Disney, but they (and we) don't really enjoy "beyond the grave" stuff, even in a creative/tongue-in-cheek context...

I highly recommend watching the ride on youtube if you have not yet done so. You may change your mind about riding it.

We did the this tour and had a stoller with a sleeping 7 month old. Because my husband and I missed the ride the guide gave us 2 fastpasses for any ride any time. That was so sweet and unexpected

Are they little? because honestly I don't see just skipping it because you think they might not like it. The Haunted Mansion is one of the iconic rides at Disneyland, and the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay is extremely popular. I can't wait until I can take my kids during the holidays. If they're old enough to not be freaked out by the hitch hiking ghosts I'd try it, and if they don't like it, don't ride it again.

If they're old enough to not be freaked out by the hitch hiking ghosts I'd try it, and if they don't like it, don't ride it again.

But with the holiday version, it's not ghosts that hitchhike.

DS will only ride it with the Skellington overlay. It's too scary for him without it, but he loves the movie so much he feels safe with the Nightmare Before Christmas stuff in the ride.

He's been like this since he was 5ish, when he saw part of the movie at Fry's Electronics, and DH decided to show him the movie. It was love at first sight, and now this time of year is the only time he'll go on HM.

So you never know with kids!

If you think your child will not like it, I would go with that instinct and not make them do it. We learned the hard way when DS was 7, we strongly encouraged him to go on it during our first trip to DL and he was so traumatized that it took him until he was 11 to go on it again! Poor kid ended up with his head buried on my shoulder repeating "I'm okay, it's not real" to himself. Just a bit of parental guilt!! He is 16 now and loves it and hates me telling that story:rotfl2:

The Christmas overlay is very different. My niece who hated the Haunted Mansion, loves it with the Christmas overlay. I would suggest YouTube to check it out. Especially since you haven't seen it.

Have to admit that checking out the youtube version of the ride-through with the kids might help. I love the original but have never seen the overlay. In watching it with DD (who loves spooky stuff), I was a little disappointed as I thought it was a lot less scary. Which may work to your benefit.

I sense that this is a case of "Mom & Dad don't approve" not the little ones.

Nah. Once they hit a certain age we give them the option. DD is old enough, she just doesn't dig that kind of stuff...

In that case, I would watch the youtube ride of the HMH overlay and see what you all think. I know every kid is different, and some don't care for anything the the name Haunted in it, but it is pretty tame. I would just watch the video ahead of time and see what you all think.

My ds 7 has a newly developed fear of ghosts and ghouls and is very scared of the idea of the HM. Although he has done it in the past at 5 and again at 6. We are doing the holiday tour this trip and my plan is to upload the movie onto my Ipad and then play the movie for them on the plane ride down. Maybe I will add the YouTube videos of the ride too. If he is still too distraught. I will skip it and hubby and ds 10 can go on alone.

DD is old enough, she just doesn't dig that kind of stuff...

What we're trying to say is "that kind of stuff" might be entirely different from what you're anticipating/expecting.

Traditional HM is about ghosts and ghouls and scary graveyards, etc.

HMH throws Jack Skellington on top of it, makes it all very bright with fun music from the movie. You still go through the Graveyard, but it's decorated with the movie stuff on it, and it's NOWHERE near as spooky.

Nah. Once they hit a certain age we give them the option. DD is old enough, she just doesn't dig that kind of stuff...

And not digging "that kind of stuff" may not apply to rides at Disney. Has she told you she's not interested in going on the ride, or are you just making assumptions? Because there are a lot of things that my kids aren't "into", but when it comes to Disney they're into just about everything.

My kids really dislike Star Wars (to the point where I wonder if they were switched at the hospital, my ex-husband is a fanatic and I am very fond of the franchise myself), but we cannot pass up Star Tours, and they even enjoy watching the Jedi Academy, and would participate if they weren't too old.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter