Can you see parade from Carnation Cafe?

jenbright

Mouseketeer
I'm thinking of booking reservations for Carnation Cafe at 4:00. The Christmas Fantasy Parade will likely be at 4:15 that day. Does anyone know if it's possible to request outdoor seating? If so, would we realistically be able to see part of the parade?

Yeah, you can see part of the parade if you're seated outside. Make sure to ask for that when you walk up. You may have to wait for it, but probably not if you book at 4pm. It's not the greatest view (picture below), but you can hear it and it makes it sorta fun. You'll see the tops of the floats behind a sea of people. If you have a chance to see it up close, this is a great way to see it again or before you see it.

upload_2016-10-24_14-39-23.png

It's a fun thing to do for a little ambiance. It's not something I would consider actual parade viewing.

Keep in mind that CMs will try to honor your seating request, but they cannot guarantee it. So you can request outdoor seating, but they may end up seating you inside.

It's a fun thing to do for a little ambiance. It's not something I would consider actual parade viewing.

I agree with this. We had a late lunch and could hear the music and see some of the taller floats but the view was obstructed. Fun though for the ambiance.

Something else to keep in mind is that near parade time a lot of the people sitting out there hang out a very long time hoping to do the same thing. So tables might not even come open until after the parade.

Thanks everyone. So maybe a 3:30 reservation....and would the Plaza Inn be better to try for "semi parade viewing"? We'll be at the park for 5 days so hope to see the parade properly.

Both times that I've had reservations there, when I walked up to check in they immediately said they're not taking seating requests right now. It depends how busy it is, but be aware that it's possible they won't even take your request. Since you're going between lunch and dinner times, it probably won't be so busy, but if seeing the parade is important to you I would have backup plan in case you have a sub-par view from the restaurant. If the parade is just a bonus or you have another day you can see it, then go for it.

Thanks everyone. So maybe a 3:30 reservation....and would the Plaza Inn be better to try for "semi parade viewing"? We'll be at the park for 5 days so hope to see the parade properly.
if i'm remembering correctly, there are lots of trees and shrubbery around the plaza, plus the crowds of people watching/walking by, so you'd have a better shot at carnation cafe. we've watched soundsational from there (no reservation and an outdoor table was just the first available) and as others said, you'll be able to see the taller floats, but the dancers and such that are lower to the ground won't be visible.

I had the same thoughts. But there are tall shrubs that surround Plaza Inn. You can see things in between them as they are spaced out, but it very obscured. If you want to see the parade properly, you'll need to just grab a spot on the sidewalk.

BTW, I had Carnation booked for my trip for 5pm until I found out the parades were so darn early. It's a great experience.

The last 2 times I've eaten there (Dec & Aug) they were not taking seating requests. One woman threw an absolute tantrum- literally the worst display of behavior I've ever seen in an adult- in front of her child in fact and demanded all sorts of managers. After about half an hour of this she was promised her outdoor table. Probably to just make her shut up. So I guess thereis some leeway? :sad2: We wanted an outside table too but after watching her we said nothing and accepted our indoor table.

We've watched parades many times from the Carnation Cafe patio. While it's not the same as a Main Street curb spot for the ultimate view, it's a great place to watch the parade while enjoying a meal with no stress. My girls are always satisfied with this plan and choose it over waiting for a curb spot. We've never had our patio request turned down; hope that's not a new regular thing. I would make your reservation at 3:15ish for the 4:00 parade so that you have extra time to wait for a patio table if needed. They won't kick you out at 4:00 plus you can always order dessert if you need an official reason to linger. :)

I think seating flexibility may depend on the busyness level and CMs working. Last time we went was early August for a 1 PM lunch, and they offered us a choice of inside, outside or first available. The time previous to that was dinner around 5 or 5:30 PM during spring break the last week of March, and we were told that seating requests were not being taken, we would get first available. On neither visit did we actually attempt to request particular seating first; the information was imparted immediately at check-in. Also, we did have reservations for both visits. I don't even try Carnation Cafe without dining reservations these days, especially since we only visit during peak times.

We sat out there in July just as a fun way to sort of experience the parade while we ate. It was a HUGE issue tho. We had reservations for 8:30 and tried to check in 15 minutes early, but they wouldn't let us until 5 minutes early. In the time we waited to check in, they took so many walk ups who requested patio seating that we almost had to sit inside. Finally, another worker noticed us still sitting and waiting for our table even though they were taking so many walk ups in and she came over to ask what was going on. She got us a table out there (totally bypassing the lady at the counter). It was awkward and I felt badly. We were not trying to scam the system, but were trying to make a bit more Disney magic and it was frustrating that they would take outside requests from walk ups rather than let me check in early. I understand when they are not accepting walk ups (we had reservations for lunch there on Sunday and everyone got turned away....reservations only), but if they are empty enough to take walk ups they could take us early and let us sit on outside. It was very fun to sit out there as Paint the Night was going by and I would maybe try it again. We went in knowing it might not happen and I was totally ok with that....until all the people who hadn't planned ahead started taking our potential tables. HA!

When we were there in September we were also asked if we wanted indoor, outdoor of first available but it was for breakfast so that may make a difference.

One thing I did learn on our last trip, and this is a little naughty so apologies upfront, I will always add one person extra to our reservation from now on if we have an odd number. We were a party of 9 so they always tried sitting us at a table for 8 and pulling up an extra chair. Now this doesn't sound like that big of a problem but my Father carried portable oxygen with him that takes up a spot and the men in our group are good size and order a lot of food so when you try sitting all that at a table that is already made for one less it is a bit of a tight squeeze. Next time we will be a party of 10.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter