• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can you say "uh-oh"?

3gr8kids

<font color=red>I read it in the "Book of Suppose
Well, we finally got it. The new TT that is. We picked it up from the dealer this morning, and boy were we excited! Our brand new, very own, 21' hybrid hotel on wheels. We've never owned a camper, we've always tented it. Maybe this would be the reason why we measured wrong. :scared1: You know the old saying, "measure twice, cut once"? Well, good advice. We know that now. See, the problem is, DH measured the gate to our driveway (completely fenced in yard), I measured the width of the camper. Being the trailer virgins we are, he measured from pole to pole of the gate, not the actual opening taking into account the poles of the actual gates themselves, and I measured from side to side of the trailer, not taking into account the awning bars. D'oh. Well, needless to say, we were slightly mortified when we got the camper home, and, just eyeballing it, there was no chance in "h.e. double hockey sticks" it would fit. (Insert small crowd of laughing neighbors here). So, out came the measuring tape again, this time taking the correct measurements.
Luckily for us, we weren't TOO far off, it does fit, (Thank you Jesus) but, let me tell you ~ it was touch and go there for a while. We have exactly (no word of a lie) 2 3/4" of clearance on each side to get it through the gates. I will say, it took me 8 or 9 "back and forths" (insert slightly larger crowd of laughing neighbors) and a LOT of very angry people sitting waiting to get by because of course we live on a busy road and I'm blocking traffic, but I DID IT!! Now I don't think I ever want to take it out again, LOL. I hope my fam enjoys camping in the back yard forever. :thumbsup2
Kungaloosh all around, on me. :woohoo:

Well, first congratulations on the new camper!:thumbsup2 Secondly..we have had the SAME exact problem. Neighbors and all! As I read your post I thought you could have been describing our situation. While we were able to get in the driveway..the fence posts did make things a little tight. Add to it "the mayor"...that's what we call one our neighbors who knows just about everything about everyone. He would just LOVE to come down the street and "help" my husband out. I swear I think my husband wanted to just "accidentally" run him over. Add to it, the traffic waiting..and well, I don't have to tell you..you lived it!
Fortunately, for us, we did have plans to widen our driveway anyway..and getting the trailer just moved those plans up a bit! AND...though he doesn't know it..saved "the mayors" life!:rotfl:

Heck, that just makes good practice for backing into the FW sites!!:scared1:

Congrats on the Camper!:cool1:

Hey Congrats :cheer2: to you all, I know how excited you are to have it home.

I chuckled a few times yesterday whenever you kept mentioning " your getting your camper " in the chat thread, every once in a while you would throw it in. :laughing:

Well I'm excited for you, enjoy !:banana:

Congrats on your new TT - very excited. After a while you will back it in with no problem, my DH does it making it look effortless, me on the other hand will have the neighbors laughing at me for the rest of my life. It was not easy, and I didn't have to get it in any kind of gate, just the middle of my driveway.

Candace

Thanks everyone!!! :)

Well, first congratulations on the new camper!:thumbsup2 Secondly..we have had the SAME exact problem. Neighbors and all! As I read your post I thought you could have been describing our situation. While we were able to get in the driveway..the fence posts did make things a little tight. Add to it "the mayor"...that's what we call one our neighbors who knows just about everything about everyone. He would just LOVE to come down the street and "help" my husband out. I swear I think my husband wanted to just "accidentally" run him over. Add to it, the traffic waiting..and well, I don't have to tell you..you lived it!
Fortunately, for us, we did have plans to widen our driveway anyway..and getting the trailer just moved those plans up a bit! AND...though he doesn't know it..saved "the mayors" life!:rotfl:

I think there must be a mayor in every neighborhood, LOL

Heck, that just makes good practice for backing into the FW sites!!:scared1:

Congrats on the Camper!:cool1:

Exactly what I told my DH!

Congrats!!!!! :banana:

Thank you!

Hey Congrats :cheer2: to you all, I know how excited you are to have it home.

I chuckled a few times yesterday whenever you kept mentioning " your getting your camper " in the chat thread, every once in a while you would throw it in. :laughing:

Well I'm excited for you, enjoy !:banana:

Oh, I didn't think I mentioned it. :rotfl2: . (Could you tell we were just a little excited?)

Congrats on your new TT - very excited. After a while you will back it in with no problem, my DH does it making it look effortless, me on the other hand will have the neighbors laughing at me for the rest of my life. It was not easy, and I didn't have to get it in any kind of gate, just the middle of my driveway.

Candace

Thanks! I have to say, it does give me more appreciation for the people that make it look effortless. I was sweatin' it for a little while.

Congrats on the TT!!!

What's even more un-nerving than the neighbors pointing and laughing at you are the neighbors who (never having owned a trailer of any kind) are going to tell you how to back in your trailer!!:sad2:

It's unsettling enough just trying to back a TT, let alone with 5 or 6 "King of the Hill" beering drinking guys "assisting" you!

That's why we seldom offer to help someone back in at FtW unless we just can't stand to see them in such agony anymore. (Usually after 30 minutes of them trying & us snickering at them from inside our MH - mean, I know - but, they have to learn how to do it themselves!)

:rotfl2:
Well you're a pretty darn good story teller! You had me hanging on every word, thinking..will she do it???? Will she have to mend a fence????? Will she christen the camper with a fresh dent?????

Glad to hear everything worked out! Congrats on the new camper!!!

Congrats on the new trailer!

I enjoyed your post (especially the sound effects)-very creative. I don't know why folks like to watch a trailer being backed up. (But I have to confess that I have found myself unable to turn away on occasion at the Fort when someone is trying to back a big trailer into a space that looks like it will never make it in).

I think every trailer owner has made a boo-boo or two. I once thought of buying a box of rear tail-light covers to save on my trips to the RV dealer, but I think that I finally got the hang of it.

TCD

CONGRATULATIONS:dance3:

As long as no one was hurt and nothing too expensive bent - it makes for a very good story. We have all been (some may not admit it) the ones "blocking" traffic :rolleyes1

Semi-related note: If any of you were the one trying to help some guy back into a tight spot in the 900 loop after Easter....I'm very sorry. DW says I was rude :guilty: Me and the GIRLS had been in the truck a LONG TIME... I really did appreciate it!!!!

Enjoy the new camper!!!!!
David

:lmao: 2 funny. Congrats. Our trailer will be here in a month.:cool1:

Hey, as long as you don't run over stuff like DH, you will be fine...:lmao:

Congrats on the new camper and welcome to the insanity!

Congrats!!:cheer2: Great Story!!:lmao: Glad it all worked out. I hope you have a nice back Yard!!! Enjoy:goodvibes

It's unsettling enough just trying to back a TT, let alone with 5 or 6 "King of the Hill" beering drinking guys "assisting" you!

To this I say "Amen Sistah" :)

:rotfl2:
Well you're a pretty darn good story teller! You had me hanging on every word, thinking..will she do it???? Will she have to mend a fence????? Will she christen the camper with a fresh dent?????

Glad to hear everything worked out! Congrats on the new camper!!!

Thanks!! I try to immerse the reader into the story. Really let them get the feeling of being there, feeling my pain kind of thing. :laughing:

No comment -- well OK just one, :lmao:

You are some kind of funny, :rotfl:

Congratulations! Looking forward to all the camping stories you'll be telling in the future :)

Ain't that the truth ;)

Oh, I'm certain we will. Friends and family don't call us "Clark and Helen Griswald" for nothing, lol.

Congrats on the new trailer!

I enjoyed your post (especially the sound effects)-very creative. I don't know why folks like to watch a trailer being backed up. (But I have to confess that I have found myself unable to turn away on occasion at the Fort when someone is trying to back a big trailer into a space that looks like it will never make it in).

I think every trailer owner has made a boo-boo or two. I once thought of buying a box of rear tail-light covers to save on my trips to the RV dealer, but I think that I finally got the hang of it.

TCD

Thanks! So I should start hording tail-light covers and duct tape? Buy stock now people. :thumbsup2

CONGRATULATIONS:dance3:

As long as no one was hurt and nothing too expensive bent - it makes for a very good story. We have all been (some may not admit it) the ones "blocking" traffic :rolleyes1

Semi-related note: If any of you were the one trying to help some guy back into a tight spot in the 900 loop after Easter....I'm very sorry. DW says I was rude :guilty: Me and the GIRLS had been in the truck a LONG TIME... I really did appreciate it!!!!

Enjoy the new camper!!!!!
David

Thank you!

:lmao: 2 funny. Congrats. Our trailer will be here in a month.:cool1:

I know how excited you must be. Measure your gates now, heehee.

Hey, as long as you don't run over stuff like DH, you will be fine...:lmao:

Congrats on the new camper and welcome to the insanity!

I believe at one point I was AIMING for my DH!

Congrats!!:cheer2: Great Story!!:lmao: Glad it all worked out. I hope you have a nice back Yard!!! Enjoy:goodvibes

We do have a nice (although small) backyard. The only problem being is the city where we live, there is no open burning allowed. Yep, we only had the fire department here twice last summer for our "fire in the fire pit" nights. LOL

Been there, done that. Our first camper was a popup. It wasn't until we were on our way home with it that I asked dh if he knew how to back it up. He said, "I'm sure it's no different than backing up w/o one." :lmao: :rotfl2: Well, I told him that I remember my dad doing it and it did not look the same. So, we went to a vacant parking lot and he tried. It was too funny. "the stupid thing goes the opposite I want it to!!!" :lmao: :rotfl2: So, we just sat there in that parking lot laughing for a little while. We were crying we were laughing so hard at the thought that we had just bought a camper and now had no idea where we were going to put it because neither of us knew how to back it in. So, I remember hearing a neighbor talk about used to owning a boat. So, we give him a holler. After his wife stopped laughing :lmao: she sent him over. He had it in in 2 seconds flat. Under our narrow carport w/o even thinking about it. Luckily dh and I have a pretty good sense of humor.

Well, now we are in a bigger camper. I think the popup was easier to back up and dh likes backing this one better. I even backed it in at FW by myself with an older gentleman from across the street guiding me. It was so funny with him saying, "good girl, you're doing great, that's my girl, atta girl, great sweetie" I didn't have the heart to tell him that I am about to be a grandma. :laughing: He even offered to help me hookup, but I assured him that dh had taught me. When I was done (with him watching the whole time) he walked back over and said, "Your husband taught you well you did a great job honey." I felt like I was a little girl again. He was really sweet though. I was glad to know that he was there if I needed him.

Anyone else have any stories about their first time. Come on, we know you have one.:grouphug:

I hate to drive, i hate even more trying to back up a box....i smashed a box....while it had temp tags might i add..i don't do anything with the BOX...DH says I am box challenged....I SAY I AM SMART...:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter