• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can you say claustrophobic! POP rooms - Had to change resorts upgraded Thankfully

It will be tight but it can work not so sure about the air mattress though. Maybe a twin air placed near the bathroom??

Thank you. Either way, me, my mother and sister will be much "closer" after this trip. ;):woohoo:

We stay in an ASMu family suite. These are 2 standard value rooms combined. Can't imagine staying in a room half that size. There is no way we'd make it in that small of a room. We'd have each other killed!

I haven't read all four pages but to give a few hard numbers: rooms at Pop are 260 sq feet. Poly rooms are 409 sq feet. Old Key West: studios are 376, one br are1086, two bdrm are 1392. AKL rooms are 344sq feet. WL are about 350sq feet. POR rooms are 314sqr feet. BC rooms are 380sqr feet. VR are 436sqr feet. CBR rooms are 340 sqr feet.

The first time we went froma mod to a value the rooms seemed small, but on later stays we were just fine. My biggest issue was that originally the AllSTars had very limited drawer space. Poly/CR also have odd closet space. They have two closets in the room: one closet has a safe, the other a luggage rack - so clothing can't hang down in either closet. So sometimes numbers don't give a complete picture of how he space is arranged. Also the larger deluxe rooms have a daybed.

To me the biggest difference is going from full sized beds/same as double to queen sized beds. Queen sized is much nicer. Oh, and full sized beds are only a little bit bigger than twin sized beds. That's what full sized beds are. ;)

We love Pop was there June/July and will be back in Dec. I have always wanted to try another resort, but when it comes down to it we go back to Pop. Its not we can't afford to stay at the mods/deluxe resorts we just enjoy the Pop. Yeah im sure the rooms are smaller than some of the other resorts, but not as the op described them though.

We were recently at Pop for the first time. We always stay in the mods., but decided to give it a try to save some money. When we first checked in, all was well, including my family. 2 days later, one right after another we all came down with a horrid stomach virus. 2 of us ended up in the hospital, along with many other guests from Pop. It was our worst trip ever, and no one there seemed to care. I sure hate it for the person that checked in after we left. After 8 nights, we were just well enough for the drive home.

Then there is one hotel in NYC that you can scratch off your ever-staying-in list. It's called the Hudson. It is an upscale hotel (I went on business, company paid, boss reserved it - I had no choice in the selection of it). Paid $400/night...to have a space that was literally one foot space around the perimeter of the bed (ETA: I have size 11 feet, leaving ONE inch of space, lol). I had to turn sideways to get into the doorway, and step OVER the toilet to get into the shower. And the mattress was on the floor. What a weird experience that was!! I felt like I was sleeping in an airplane restroom!

Sorry...have to speak up.

My family of 4 (me, DH, DS12, DS9) stayed at Pop in March 2009. While it was our least favorite of the Values, I have to say that we were very comfortable in our room. We had no problem with doors hitting furniture. The room was sparkling clean. We mananged to sleep without rolling into each other.

For those whose budgets require a stay at a value, rest assured. You can have a wonderful stay on Disney Property. We stayed on the 4/3 deal, didn't get hoppers, and chose the QSDP. We had a wonderful time and loved every minute of our trip. We've stayed Deluxe (AKL), Mod (FQ), and even at OKW.

Don't be frightened of poor reviews of Values. Try it out yourself. And hey, if it's not for you, then move up a level, if your wallet permits.

KJ

Ditto!
Yes, the rooms are small but our family of 4 had no problems at any value resort. Definitely never had a door hit the bed. IMO all value & mod disney resort rooms are much smaller then most other hotels off property. But we stay for the atmosphere.

Staying at POP for the first time this December and really looking forward to it. It's just my son and me so space should not be an issue -- and I think he is going to get a real kick out of the icons and all the bright colors!

Question for you POP veterans: do you know which rooms have just a king bed? I have rented a crib for DS and am sure I can squeeze it in somewhere with two doubles, but maybe I should request a king for the extra space? Not to be too picky but I am also hoping to get a top floor to cut down on the noise from neighbors so that DS can get an afternoon nap.

Thanks!
Check out this link-scroll down-it has a map of Pop and a layout of the rooms that tells you which ones are king beds.
http://www.willcad.org/maps/wdw/resorts/resort_pop.pdf#page=03

Then there is one hotel in NYC that you can scratch off your ever-staying-in list. It's called the Hudson. It is an upscale hotel (I went on business, company paid, boss reserved it - I had no choice in the selection of it). Paid $400/night...to have a space that was literally one foot space around the perimeter of the bed (ETA: I have size 11 feet, leaving ONE inch of space, lol). I had to turn sideways to get into the doorway, and step OVER the toilet to get into the shower. And the mattress was on the floor. What a weird experience that was!! I felt like I was sleeping in an airplane restroom!
I found the website for that place. The single rooms are 130 square feet so you could fit 2 of those rooms in one Pop room.:laughing:

Did not read threw whole thread but I have to say I stayed at many disney resorts, and I am in DVC. I will agree that the rooms are smaller but the OP sounds a bit exaggerated.

I was about to say, after seeing rooms here in NYC, (and staying in a couple for a fun weekend in manhattan, even tho i live in queens) Pop rooms are spacious as ever. and for A LOT less money.

I think it all boils down to different peoples perceptions. I've learned to not read too much into hotel reviews online. Case in point, the Nick Hotel. I already had it paid for and started reading some horrible reviews on here. I had myself in a panic by the time we arrived! We LOVED it! We even forked out more money to stay an extra night! :lovestruc

The one thing I would complain about is that my supposed preferred room location at POP was in the 50's on the third floor facing a bunch of trees to the point I couldn't even see the parking lot. I doubt that I'd ever pay the extra for a preferred location again but other than that, we're looking forward to our next stay at the POP! Our door didn't even come close to the bed so I can't even put that together in my mind.

lustergirl said:
My problem with room was the distance. I paid for a preferred room and ended up in building #10, 70's section- fourth floor facing the parking lot. This building is considered a preferred- yea right?
Yes. Right. The rooms in building 10 that face the parking lot (as well as the rooms facing Goofy's water jets) ARE Preferred. They are close to Classic Hall, Everything Pop, and the buses. They're especially close to the bus pickup area. That proximity is what makes those rooms Preferred.

Sorry...have to speak up.

My family of 4 (me, DH, DS12, DS9) stayed at Pop in March 2009. While it was our least favorite of the Values, I have to say that we were very comfortable in our room. We had no problem with doors hitting furniture. The room was sparkling clean. We mananged to sleep without rolling into each other.

KJ

This sounds similar to us. Yes, we enjoy staying at moderate resorts, but have stayed at all the values before and have managed well at each one. There are four of us (me, DW, DD12, and DS9). Rooms have always been clean. Rooms are small, but not bed-thumping small.
I'd rather stay at a mod but a value is not a poor choice.

We were recently at Pop for the first time. We always stay in the mods., but decided to give it a try to save some money. When we first checked in, all was well, including my family. 2 days later, one right after another we all came down with a horrid stomach virus. 2 of us ended up in the hospital, along with many other guests from Pop. It was our worst trip ever, and no one there seemed to care. I sure hate it for the person that checked in after we left. After 8 nights, we were just well enough for the drive home.

Just curious. Are you blaming Pop for your stomach virus? What exactly was the resort supposed to do? :confused:

Sorry you got sick, though. That really ruins a vacation!

I am sitting in a room at Pop right now...this is our fav place to stay..the rooms are okay size wise (you get what you pay for anywhere) not big but big enough for two fairly large adults and a crib for our grandson who is two.
No smell here and rooms are clean.

We are a lot further away from things then we usually are.
When we first started staying here you could request a room and usually get it...now they want more $$$ for a room that is closer to everything...I don't like that they did that...a better solution would have been those that booked early get there choice of rooms first..

my biggest conplaint would be the bus service after later nagic hours, we waited forever along with hundreds of other people...why can't they run more busses when only one park is open at that time of night?

I would recommend the Pop any day..theming is great!

Barb

Boy Pop has its fans. People can complain about almost any resort on property, but complain about Pop and the Pop lovers come out of the woodwork to defend it. Pop must be doing something right to instill this type of loyalty. :laughing:

I've never stayed at Pop, but I have stayed at ASSports and ASMusic. Yes, the rooms are small, but like other PPs said, what do you expect from a "value" resort? I think the values are a good deal for what you pay.

How awful! I am sorry your family became so ill on vacation. But this is not the fault of POP -guests become just as ill at other resorts - you can read many reports right here on the DIS. If a virus is rampant we are all more likely to catch it at place like WDW.. Best we can do is be more careful about hand washing and so on.

We wipe off everything with a Clorox wipe and put the remote in a baggie - even though one member of our family has an immune disorder none of us have ever been sick at WDW.

Again I am sorry you were all so ill.

I haven't read all the posts but I wanted to share my experience at POP.

My family had no problems at POP. We were 6 people so we required two rooms. However, that being said, all of the luggage, a car seat and a stroller all remained in one room (the room that slept 4 people). Because we were traveling with my MIL her room was "hers" with the exception of my DS12 sleeping in her second bed. ALL of our belongings, supplies, food, a fridge and all the other things I mentioned fit jsut fine in the POP room.

My DH and DS8 shared a bed, DD3 and I shared a bed (with bed rails). I put our luggage on the rack above the "closet" area and stored the car seat on the floor under it. We also participated in a fridge swap (one of the larger fridges) and we had the fridge as well as the empty box in the room. We placed the fridge next to the table and chairs and the empty box we put between the wall and the bed that was closest to the bathroom. Shoes we weren't wearing were lined up under the front window and 90% of the time the stroller was open waiting for DD3 to hop right in, parked over the shoes by the window. We put most of our toiletries in an over the door hanger. I hung a laundry bag from a hanger in the closet area for dirty clothes, which I washed half way through the trip. We stored all of our food that could be left at room temperature on top of the entertainment center/dresser cabinet.

Was the room as big as the suite at the Wyngate that DH and I shared on a recent trip to visit my family? No. Was it ample for sleeping, showering and a "home base"? Absolutely.

I had no complaints about POP except when my DH walked outside the laundry room for literally about 3 minutes to check on my boys near (not in, they were TRYING to wait patiently) the pool and someone took our laundry out of the washer (in the middle of the cycle) and lumped it in a pile with other guests' laundry so they could use our machine. Not POP's problem... still, it was my only complaint during our stay.

To each their own and values are not for everyone, but they are best for my family. We love the colorful icons, and the exciting hustle and bustle. If it were just DH and I going for a romantic get away, I would probably choose differently. Since its not, POP is the perfect place for our family while at WDW.

Just my 2 cents worth.

The rooms are small, but not as small as the OP is making it sound.

Sorry, OP, but the doors at Pop don't hit the beds, and the bathroom door doesn't hit the toilet. The beds are full/double, not twin.

I agree. I can't say what the OP did/didn't see, but we've stayed in at quite a few value rooms at all of Disney's value resorts & I've never experienced anything even close to that.

Here's the numbers, which don't match up with some of the comments I've read here.

Typical room sizes
Value: 260 square feet
Moderate: 314 square feet

Deluxe vary, but typical numbers:
CR 394 sq ft
Poly 404 sq ft
GF: 440 sq ft
BW: 371 sq ft
BC/YC: 381 sq ft
WL and AKL: 344 sq ft

The above do not include villas or suites or cabins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter