• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can you say claustrophobic! POP rooms - Had to change resorts upgraded Thankfully

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
Just returned from girls only trip Sept 29 - Oct 5

We were suppose to stay at POP for our trip. We arrived at around 3:30.
Check in was fast no lines, CM's were flat,:confused3, They put us in the last 50s building on the 4th floor last room on the hall, I guess because we were grown ups with out kids. .
The Resort exterior was fun, pools looked inviting and overall seems great.
Checked out the food court and store all looked great, clean and well stocked.

When we finally got to our room we opened the door and the door hit the bed. We has to step inside and cram together to close the door to walk around the bed. There is no way that the beds in that room were double they looked like they were just a little bit bigger than a twin. Then the smell hit me, like mold or something wet that was souring. Went into the bathroom and turn on the light, the light came on but it was dim. The door to the tub area almost hit the toilet it was no bigger than a small closet. The room looked clean but without much light it was hard to tell, it did not smell clean. That's when I started sneezing and wheezing. I thought I was going to have a panic attack I had to get out side.

So we all decided that we would pay to upgrade I knew I could not make it 5 days in that rooms. We were very disappointed in the rooms.
So back over to the lobby we went and I talked with a manager then he went to the back 45 min. later he came back and said that they could give us another room, But that they would all be the same at all the value resorts, I told him that we would be happy to pay to upgrade just to find us another resort. So he went to the back and 15 min. later he came out and said the mod's are all full. I was very nice and told him to find a room at one of the deluxe's and we would pay for it, but that there was no way that we could stay in that room, Finally a young women asked me what the problem was, I told her and in 5 min. We were on our way to Caribbean Beach Resort. I guess she found us a room, and moved us and did not charge us even though we said that we would pay for it.

If you are the least bit claustrophobic I strongly suggest a Moderate Resort. It is well worth it.

::yes:: We spent one night at the All Star Movies a couple of years ago and it was just as bad. We couldn't wait to get out of there.

I have to say you are exaggerating a tiny bit. I am clausterphobic, and I have no problem staying in the Value resorts.

The rooms are not so small that you cannot open a door without whacking a bed, unless the previous occupent moved the bed around, maybe to make room for an air mattress? The bathrooms are small, but as all I do in them is shower and answer natures call, it doesn't bother me.

Still not every resort suits everybody, so I'm glad you were able to move to one that fits you better.

So sorry the Rooms were like that but
Happy that you got an Upgrade--for Free!!:thumbsup2

My DH won't even let me think about booking a
Value, so we've never stayed there, only MODS.
We've really enjoyed the MODS and this year we
are plurging with a Deluxe AKL(it's our 25th Anniversary).

You'll have to give us a review of CBR (that's the only
MOD I haven't stayed at but am thinking about next trip-
if I don't get spoiled rotten at the Deluxe).

I agree. We spent one night at POP, and the room was so small. We thought the beds were really short. We were happy to move onto our next resort, WL, the next day. Now, if I even mention staying a night at a value, DH has a fit. I did think the resort was themed nicely, just not the resort for us.

i didnt notice a difference w/ the mods. The beds were uncomfortable, they were the pirate ones. The pillows were like logs. The room size is pretty similar. I actually preferred POP!! I would never stay at CB again! I thought the wait for the busses was terrible and the internal bus system took way too long. Drove me nuts! I love POP it's my favorite. The Polynesian is VERY spacious, i recommend that for space!

The rooms at Pop are really small. DD9 and I stayed in one in Nov. 08.

It worked since it was just the two of us but I don't know how anyone with more than 2 people in their party can stand it. There's just no space.

The bus service was fantastic and I did like all the theming. I might stay there again if there were just 2 of us because of those 2 things.

Yeah, I find the Wilderness Lodge rooms a bit claustrophobic, but I can handle a moderate for 1 night - for sleeping! Hence the reason I have never even looked into a value! (and I'm not really a claustrophobic or big person!)

I returned from my first stay at Pop Century on Sept 9th. We were placed in the same building as you. After this stay, I have realized that I have become a resort snob. The resorts have to be at least a Moderate for now on. No more Value's for me unless it means that I can't go to Disney. The food court was an absolute mess. The shopping was good and our room size was ok for just two people, we had problems with our toilet flushing and the tub faucet was leaking. It was just an ok experience. The walking to the bus stop, from the bus stop back to the room, room to the food court to fill up mugs, etc... all got to be a bit much with where our room was located. I would much rather pay for a preferred room at a Moderate than to put forth any extra money at a Value Resort.

Sorry...have to speak up.

My family of 4 (me, DH, DS12, DS9) stayed at Pop in March 2009. While it was our least favorite of the Values, I have to say that we were very comfortable in our room. We had no problem with doors hitting furniture. The room was sparkling clean. We mananged to sleep without rolling into each other.

For those whose budgets require a stay at a value, rest assured. You can have a wonderful stay on Disney Property. We stayed on the 4/3 deal, didn't get hoppers, and chose the QSDP. We had a wonderful time and loved every minute of our trip. We've stayed Deluxe (AKL), Mod (FQ), and even at OKW.

Don't be frightened of poor reviews of Values. Try it out yourself. And hey, if it's not for you, then move up a level, if your wallet permits.

KJ

Just a note on the lighting in the bathrooms. Most, if not all Disney resorts now use those flourescent/"green" lightbulbs. They go on very dim, but get brighter in a few minutes. We even had them at the BWI this past week.

I've never stayed at CBR only POR & POFQ and the bathrooms at those 2 resorts are smaller than the bathrooms in the value resorts to make room for the 2nd sink outside the bathroom.

I've stayed at Pop several times with a stroller and always manage to get in the room so the door isn't that small.....

I'll be back at Pop 11/30 with 2 adult friends and my DD(10) and I know we're going to have a blast! We've done it before so I know the room is big enough for us.

Sorry...have to speak up.

My family of 4 (me, DH, DS12, DS9) stayed at Pop in March 2009. While it was our least favorite of the Values, I have to say that we were very comfortable in our room. We had no problem with doors hitting furniture. The room was sparkling clean. We mananged to sleep without rolling into each other.

For those whose budgets require a stay at a value, rest assured. You can have a wonderful stay on Disney Property. We stayed on the 4/3 deal, didn't get hoppers, and chose the QSDP. We had a wonderful time and loved every minute of our trip. We've stayed Deluxe (AKL), Mod (FQ), and even at OKW.

Don't be frightened of poor reviews of Values. Try it out yourself. And hey, if it's not for you, then move up a level, if your wallet permits.

KJ

Well said!

Of course the rooms at Deluxes are going to be bigger than the Rooms at the Values. But I don't want anyone to come here thinking that it's standard for the Values to have the door hit the bed, or the bathroom door "almost" hit the toilet. I don't know what happened in the OP's case, but it isn't the norm.

The Values have hundreds of repeat visitors, who obviously find the room comfortable (I'm one of them).

We have never had an issue like that at Pop, in fact I would much rather stay there than anywhere, and we certainly love Pop over CBR (talk about claustrophobic, it is like a jungle).

We are 2 adults with no children and I am a large woman that uses an ECV and we have more than plenty of room.

We have enjoyed many level of resort, but always seem to go back to Pop.

Suzanne

If you are claustrophobic in a WDW value resort, stay off of cruise ships unless you spring for a HUGE suite! :lmao:

My family of four just came back from a week at the POP and we loved it! I am a bit on the clausterphobic side myself, but I thought the room was plenty fine for the little time we'd be spending in it. We were basically only there to sleep, shower or use the pool. The beds are smaller than a normal double IMO but I was so tired I didn't even care, LOL! We visited some of the other resorts and I just liked the feel of POP better, the pools of the other hotels seemed much more crowded and I guess the environment to me seemed kind of stuffy. I can't imagine paying the $$ for a moderate and especially a deluxe unless we were planning on spending a LOT more time in the room!

I remember when the CBR WAS a value room...the only value room at WDW. '
I didn't like that people could walk in front of your window to get to their room, so I never stayed there.

I bought DVC in 2005 and normally stay in the studio. But a friend had booked free dining at Pop so we stayed there ..two trips actually ...and I enjoyed it just fine. The difference to aclaustrophobic person is that instead of a balcony with a big glass door, you only have a little window. THAT was hard on me, but we made sure we had a lake view and lucked into an end room, so I could have breakfast on the 'balcony' created out the front door with a couple of pool chairs.

I think four would be too tight for comfort. The CBR rooms reallyh didn't seemany bigger to me, but I've only looked and never stayed there. Nexttime maybe rent points for dvc off this board and stay in a studio OKW for @$80 or a 1 bd (huge at OKW ) for $160 in low season at $10 pp.

Thanks for some of the good reviews about pop. I was getting scared. We have never stayed at a value. But we our this trip since it is our second trip this year. Plus like another posted said I need to get ready for my cruise cabin next spring.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter