Can you refuse to tip!

What am I missing? Trolls?

Trolls....posters who really don't care about the topic at hand, they just like to say outrageous things to get people worked up.

Troll (Internet)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Do not feed the trolls" and its abbreviation DNFTT redirect here. For the Wikimedia essay, see "What is a troll?".
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2]

MJ

I just have to say that this topic actually made me "sad". Whether the poster was serious or just trying to get a rise, we had the most attentive, amazing, thoughtful, (insert any other kind descriptions here) servers ever! I would have felt like I was insulting them to give just the "recommended" tips! (aside from the head dining server, we saw her 2x the entire cruise, she got the recommended tip;)). Our asst server who brought us drinks got a tip every night we got drinks at dinner & above the recommended amount at the end. Server & room hostess were spectacular & Also got above & deserved it! They work sometimes 16 hour days.......I wouldn't want to do it! And to stay as cheerful & attentive to everyone the whole time is amazing. I have to admit.....I seriously doubt I could do it! It would be sad to think they worked that hard at pleasing someone & got no gratitude for it.

Trolls....posters who really don't care about the topic at hand, they just like to say outrageous things to get people worked up.

Troll (Internet)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Do not feed the trolls" and its abbreviation DNFTT redirect here. For the Wikimedia essay, see "What is a troll?".
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2]

MJ

Thanks. Never heard the term.

If you are not going to use any of the restaurants do tell DCL in advance so your table can be allocated to someone else.

Every single person on that ship is already allocated to a table when they book the cruise.

Letting the staff know that you are not going to use your particular table does not make a difference really.

Some server, somewhere, is going to end up with empty spaces at their tables and therefore will not get a tip.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Please do not feed the Trolls. It is like feeding stray cats. When you do, they stay around and beg for more.

Love the stray cat analogy:rotfl2:

I felt fairly certain I was dealing with a troll when I responded (the first-post-is-about-one-of-the-most-heated-topics is usually a dead give away :lmao:) BUT I still think the responses are valuable in this case because there ARE people who (innocently) just don't realize how important tipping is, and these types of threads ARE enlightening to some I believe (people who are surely less outlandish, less inflammatory and quite a bit more innocent than the OP of course)

I felt fairly certain I was dealing with a troll when I responded (the first-post-is-about-one-of-the-most-heated-topics is usually a dead give away)
Also, his "join date" was a dead give away.

Woody

Personally, with over 1000 views on this thread, I think there are a set of the population that really want an answer to his question, troll or no troll...I used to work as a server and out of 100 tables I would have 1-2 that would leave no tip. I treated them no differently, and honestly, I was not perturbed..I have a pollyanna way of excusing their action...maybe they were from Europe or maybe they forgot and thought their tablemate was going to pay, or maybe they just didn't tip.

Now my husband was more jaded, as a server he could 'peg' the sitters who had no intention of tipping and sometimes dining and dashing....he would get worked up about it....but it's like life, sometimes someone is spending every dime they have to get on that ship and assume it's all inclusive so they don't save a penny for tips...I really don't fault them that opportunity and hope they have a great trip. There are others who possibly have the money to tip but can think of 'better' ways to get something for 'themselves' over handing that sum to a server. I think they hurt themselves in the long run and have a hard time finding the key to happiness. I wish I had more expendable money to really pay some of these servers what they're due...many go above and beyond to make that ship time memorable. I know we'll hit the 'standard' tip but hope we can make a little extra for those that shine bright!

Tara

Along Tara's line of thought, there are also people who truly don't know the rules of tipping. It is automatic for people in the US as it is part of daily life, but to some, tipping is hard to understand. Not making excuses for the OP(whether or not he is a troll). If you are not able to ask the questions here, then how can you learn/find out the answer? I think we should be all be allowed to ask "stupid" questions. The OP is lucky that he has people around here on the boards willing to answer his question. And the servers are lucky that he bothered to ask the question here before he sails! Many don't bother going on forums prior to travel.

Actually he posted a question about flights from his country to BCN...I think his question was valid and while it may seem ludicrous for those who cruise often, it's really not understood by the general population. I pay for an 'inclusive' vacation at Disneyworld...free dining/hotel/parks and when we went tipping was INCLUDED in that fare....we would tip extra if it was excellent service but the benefit of doing a trip like that was knowing we had to bring no money...one year we only took an extra $100 and that's all we spent! Everyone hears that cruises are great because it's all "included"...we're spending 4k on a cruise for 7 people, but our tip amounts for that length of cruise would be over $800...that is almost 25% of the cost of the cruise...it's substantial....so for some trying to take advantage of these amazing deals and if the cruise is the most they can pay, then they realize the tips are as much as they are (10 night cruise) it can be a shock to the system.....I personally feel like bringing the $800 and then divvying it up...give more to those that went above less to those who were off their game that week, but from what I read, most Disney CM's are on their game most the time!

Tara

Actually he posted a question about flights from his country to BCN...I think his question was valid and while it may seem ludicrous for those who cruise often, it's really not understood by the general population. I pay for an 'inclusive' vacation at Disneyworld...free dining/hotel/parks and when we went tipping was INCLUDED in that fare....we would tip extra if it was excellent service but the benefit of doing a trip like that was knowing we had to bring no money...one year we only took an extra $100 and that's all we spent! Everyone hears that cruises are great because it's all "included"...we're spending 4k on a cruise for 7 people, but our tip amounts for that length of cruise would be over $800...that is almost 25% of the cost of the cruise...it's substantial....so for some trying to take advantage of these amazing deals and if the cruise is the most they can pay, then they realize the tips are as much as they are (10 night cruise) it can be a shock to the system.....I personally feel like bringing the $800 and then divvying it up...give more to those that went above less to those who were off their game that week, but from what I read, most Disney CM's are on their game most the time!

Tara

I agree, not everyone (new to cruising) understands about tips, when the cruise is advertised as "all inclusive". I WAS one of those people. Our first cruise was a combined trip with 4 days in Disney World, all granted by the Children's Wish Foundation for our Daughter. Not only was that a Scary as Heck time in our lives, it was a financially draining time in our lives. The Wish Foundation booked the trip for us, gave us Disney Paraphernalia ect... to look forward to the trip, but never once did they mention about booking ADR's 75 days in advance or about Tips on Board. We knew they were giving us spending money but we had no idea How much (till a couple days before we left). I talked with a couple other families at our Children's Hospital who also chose a Disney Trip. One family complained they were not given enough spending money and had to use a lot of their own, and another family said they were given more than enough. So I had no real guidline to go with either. We ended up packing one suitcase full of packaged snacks and dry cereal and bought milk at the store in our Hotel. That worked for breakfast and snacks. We learned quickly that it would be Quick Service dining all the way, as we couldn't book ANY Table service restaurants. We had a blast though! Just before we left, I did talk to another family who had chosen the same land and sea vacation, and THEY told me about the tipping.
I was worried how the funds would work out as we had NO money of our own for this trip. Turns out the Wish foundation gave us more than we needed, thus had enough for tips, and was SO glad we did, as I would have felt horrible to not have been ABLE to tip our wonderful CM's! That was 3 1/2 years ago, and I only discovered these disboards last spring. I'd never heard of them before.
We are back on our feet again, our daughter now Healthy as can be, and life is good. We just finished another land and Sea vacation to Celebrate my DD's End of Chemo, and have another cruise booked for next fall. I've already figured out the minimum we'll need for tips and have that already set aside (before our spending money is added).
Weather the OP was a troll or not, I'm glad every one here has been generally kind to his question, that could have almost been me once upon a time.:)

Personally, with over 1000 views on this thread, I think there are a set of the population that really want an answer to his question, troll or no troll...I used to work as a server and out of 100 tables I would have 1-2 that would leave no tip. I treated them no differently, and honestly, I was not perturbed..I have a pollyanna way of excusing their action...maybe they were from Europe or maybe they forgot and thought their tablemate was going to pay, or maybe they just didn't tip.

Now my husband was more jaded, as a server he could 'peg' the sitters who had no intention of tipping and sometimes dining and dashing....he would get worked up about it....but it's like life, sometimes someone is spending every dime they have to get on that ship and assume it's all inclusive so they don't save a penny for tips...I really don't fault them that opportunity and hope they have a great trip. There are others who possibly have the money to tip but can think of 'better' ways to get something for 'themselves' over handing that sum to a server. I think they hurt themselves in the long run and have a hard time finding the key to happiness. I wish I had more expendable money to really pay some of these servers what they're due...many go above and beyond to make that ship time memorable. I know we'll hit the 'standard' tip but hope we can make a little extra for those that shine bright!

Tara

True, but I just viewed to see how "hot " it was over here,:rotfl:

I noticed recently on my past cruise (last week) that they had included a tip in the amount of the check on the drinks. While I was adding an additional tip I realized that it was already figured in. I don't remember that being the case on my last two cruises, December '08 and December '07.

I'm just wondering if anyone else noticed this or if this has always been the case. If not, perhaps Disney started it due to lack of tipping?

I noticed recently on my past cruise (last week) that they had included a tip in the amount of the check on the drinks. While I was adding an additional tip I realized that it was already figured in. I don't remember that being the case on my last two cruises, December '08 and December '07.

I'm just wondering if anyone else noticed this or if this has always been the case. If not, perhaps Disney started it due to lack of tipping?

This has always been done.

At least on all of my past Disney cruises and I started cruising with Disney in 2000.

We tipped, but I wasn't happy about it. Why don't they just include the tips into the normal cost of the cruise and then actually pay the staff. It is unfair to the staff if they just happen to get people who don't tip.

As for the bar staff, we tipped several times without knowing it. I think they have nerve automatically adding the tip, and then having another line for you to add a tip. We had no idea that the first tip was already included (never paid that much attention to it).

They must have thought you were a good customer, bet you got your drinks quick smart!:thumbsup2

But once you are off the boat they wont see me again lol.. but they do get $50 per person that they look after.. now how many does each server look after?

They do not get paid $50 per person by the cruise line - more like $50 per week (if that) - total.

True - once you leave the ship you will probably never see them again, but as others have said - if you can afford to cruise, you can afford to tip. The staff on DCL works very hard (12 - 16 hours per day) to make sure you have a wonderful vacation, and most of them deserve every $ they receive in tips.

A lot of the staff send most of their earnings to their families at home, and just like you depend on a paycheck every week to live, they depend on the tips for their "salary".

Thanks to everyones posts reagarding tips. I have been a little fuzzy about what the guidelines are and want to make sure I budget enough for our trip.

We are doing a 3-night trip in Feb. According to calculations for (4) people @ $12 pp per day, it would be approx $150? Is that correct? Help?

TIA!

They do not get paid $50 per person by the cruise line - more like $50 per week (if that) - total.

I think he's talking about the tips... and I think $50 per week by the cruiseline is a little low... that's less than a dollar an hour based on their work week. Whatever it is though, it's not much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter