• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can you really tell who has been on your FB page?

I know this thread is a little old but my question relates.

I just got a message in my Facebook notifications from one of my "Friends" that I was one of her top stalkers and I could find out who mine were by accepting an application. Is this valid or is it some type of spam. I don't think I look at her page alot but I had that day to look at pictures. Creepy feeling that I am being watched where I go.

I know this thread is a little old but my question relates.

I just got a message in my Facebook notifications from one of my "Friends" that I was one of her top stalkers and I could find out who mine were by accepting an application. Is this valid or is it some type of spam. I don't think I look at her page alot but I had that day to look at pictures. Creepy feeling that I am being watched where I go.

I ignore those and even block some from appearing on my page.

A few things:

No, there is no way to tell who is looking at your page in Facebook and many of the links are things you don't want to click on. Whom you view is more than likely part of the algorithm that suggests friends though so it isn't uncommon for you to see a person you often visit as a suggested friend. Someone you visit often may also see you as a suggested friend. This is more likely if you have friends in common. Facebook doesn't share their algorithm but if I were a gabler I'd bet my house this is part of it.

Firesheep is just a plug in that allows anyone to do a cookie hijack or sidejack of a session. When you log into Faebook or anywhere else you get a session cookie that is used to keep your authentication through page navigations. If that cookie is sent in the clear and I intercept it out of the air I can impersonate your session. This is why I never ever ever use my computer or smartphone over an unprotected WiFi access point. This is any access point that doesn't ask for an encryption key before authenticating.

Connecting to Facebook or anywhere else over an ssl connection (port 443 instead of 80) means that for the most part no one can sniff what you are sending, including cookies. To force a connection over ssl you add an s to the end of the URI Scheme (https://www.facebook.com instead of http://www.facebook.com). Technically you can connect via ssl and still get cookies in the clear but most companies are addressing that problem.

Firesheep was a blessing to the security industry because it shines a spotlight on a problem that has always existed and is forcing more and more companies to institute safer cookie practices.

I still would never allow my data to be sent over an unprotected WiFi connection but that is a decision you have to make. Because of the way WPA2 works even if we all know the encryption key for a hot spot the vast majority of security problems would be addressed because of the way WPA assigns keys (separate PTK and GTK) but too many locations aren't even doing that.

Lastly, Facebook games like Farmville are both privacy and security holes. Under no circumstances should anyone ever play them.

Ok, you can now take your propeller hats off.

When you are on facebook, look at your URL. If it just reads http in the front, you supposedly can be hacked. It needs to read "https"" to be secure.

Go to your facebook account, click on Account Settings, then Account Security. You will see the word "change", and click on it. Then check at least the first setting to make it secure.

But you can't play most of the games if you have it set to "secure". At least not Farmville...:rolleyes1

Don't click on that stuff! Some of it may add a virus/spyware to your FB account or computer. The same with the "OMG, You have to see this video of *something shocking*!!!". And lately the scams have you being tagged in a photo by one of your friends. Some of these are potentially harmful. These have been spreading in Chat there too. My dd fell for it and it was a pain to go in and find and remove the application and run a virus check on her computer.

I go to Facecrooks on Facebook (you can search for it in FB) to check on the latest scams, and to find out how to fix them.

I just don't click unless I can be 100% sure that it is legit.

I go to Facecrooks on Facebook (you can search for it in FB) to check on the latest scams, and to find out how to fix them.

I just don't click unless I can be 100% sure that it is legit.

Thanks! I just joined Facecrooks and it really is informative. Anything to keep safe, ya know? Thank you for the suggestion.

My biggest fear is that I'll accidentally click "like" on a profile.. eeek.

:lmao: I'm so glad I'm not alone on this one!!!

Especially when I'm Facebooking on my phone, it's so easy to accidentally "like" something when I'm trying to scroll around. Oops!

Me too!!! Every time I'm just going through my news feed looking at status updates I'm afraid I'll accidently click "like." I have a lot of "friends" from school, most of them are people I don't really talk to at all(I plan on unfriending most of them right after graduation :rolleyes1) and I'm convinced I'll accidently like one of their statuses and they'll think I'm a creeper :rotfl:

All the people on my friend list are friends... I don't care how many times they look at my page. If I don't want them looking, they wouldn't be my friend. I don't understand what difference it makes???:confused3

That only works in unprotected wireless networks. I would hope anyone here who has a wireless router bought one that uses encryption.

Or, I suppose, on a wired network.

I don't think they even sell wireless routers anymore that don't use at least WPA but unfortunately people don't take the time to configure them correctly. Most even have a startup script in their web browser to walk you through it.

I have a question about this. My DD's insane jealous boyfriend said that on your profile under your friends list the people who show up first are people who look at your page the most & who you talk to the most in private chat. I do know that this changes, but I am not sure why. Is he right? :confused: He said he ''researched'' it. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter