Can you please keep your dogs home!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you to a point. I only take the dog to places they are obviously allowed (like PetSmart) or where I've been told to feel welcome to bring my dog (certain restaurant patios for example). I don't take him to grocery stores or the mall--although if we were having a family protrait done, I'd take him to the porttrait studio.

I absolutely agree with you on that. I don't take my dog to anyone's home unless he is very specificaly invited, and even then I keep him on the lead. The only exception would be at my girlfriends house where we put him in the backyard with her dog to run like loons together while we have coffee. :surfweb: And I only do that when invited, I don't just show up with him. That seems like common courtesy.
~Amanda
[/QUOTE]

:thumbsup2 I have a phycho SIL that insists on bringing their slobbering, poorly behaved , overly energetic dog with them to Christmas and holidays at my MIL's. She acts like it is a kid and that if the Inlaws didn't allow it it would be like saying they couldndn't bring their grandchild. I am allergic. All the grandkids are scared to death of it. She acts like we are all crazy for not loving her dog. :sad2: As I said, whacko.

And my friend and I show be able to go anyplace without comments that you can't bring that dog in here. She is deaf/blind and does have a well behaved guide dog. And your kid can still have a severe asthma/allergy attack from a guide dog the same as any other dog so maybe if the reaction would be that severe you should keep her/him home. Btw we regularly have 3 service dogs in our worship service and not one person has complained. Those with allergies just do not sit near the dogs. 2 sit in the front area and the other sits in the back.
Well said.

On a side note, I travel a lot and have been on many flights where service dogs were present. They are more well behaved than 90% of the children on those same flights :)

Whatever - I'm an animal lover, grew up with animals in my home - dogs, cats, hamsters. We NEVER EVER took our dogs with us to resturants, or to photo studios. The dog went with us to the park, camping, etc... but not everywhere.

~Amanda

I love that "Whatever", sounds so, I don't know.

Anyway, I'm not saying anyone should take their pets and let them run amok in stores and restaurants. But, for anyone to off the deep end because someone took their pet to Sears Portrait Studio is silly.

And, I didn't quote it here, but the OP keeps screaming about "HUMANS!" being so important and, well, yeah they are. But, I kind of think animals are important too. That's probably why God wanted an ark built for them. ;)

I have to agree. When I pick my son up from his elementary school there a lot of people who bring their dogs. I dont know why the dog need to go to the school just to pick the kid up.

Any day that I leave from my house to pick my DD up from school, I take 1 of our dogs, but we never get out of the car. She gets so excited when she see DD coming toward the car. The male gets carsick sometimes and hates riding in the car, so he usually stays home.

They go with me sometimes to the pet store, but other than that, they usually stay home unless of course, we're headed to the vet. We go for long walks daily, so that usually satisfies their craving for getting out of our house and yard.

I have been watching with interest the news stories on restaurants that are starting to allow dogs. If any of those open near us, I would love to take them out to eat. Right now their only restaurant outing is a trip through the drive-through somewhere after the dreaded trip to the vet.

Kid and dog lover checking in here :) While I enjoy and have both, some owners/parents ruin it, kwim? Just because "you" may think your dog or kid is cute, some may not ;) My dog loves to go on car rides when I take the kids to school, but I wouldn't think of taking her into the mall with me for a shopping trip! I didn't even know that was allowed!

Some people need to read the thread more carefully. Its not about service dogs. Everyone expects to see a service dog out on public places. Its one of the things they are used for!

The OP is talking about just regular family dogs.

Okay- dog owners flame if you want but I am so tired of this! Everywhere I go people have their dogs!!!! Your dog does not need to be at the Sears photo studios!!!! Have your photos taken at home or at a place that specializes in animals! Having them around a bazillion kids is rude and ridiculous. I should not have to worry about my kids getting bit or having a severe asthma/allergy attack while going for photos at a HUMAN photo studio! You do not belong there! You do not need to take them grocery shopping, to the mall, to Target etc. LEAVE THEM HOME!!!! The rest of the world should not have to worry about encountering animals in places where they are not allowed or belong. Service dogs are entirely different and I have run into very few in my whole life. Pet dogs are pets. Keep them home. I love animals but just because you have one doesn't mean that I want it with me while I am shopping.

Flame away. :mad:

If the dog owner called first and Sears' policy is that dogs are allowed in their portrait studios, then you OP, are the one that is wrong in this situation.

Did you ask what their policy is?

I own my own business and, taking a page from companies like Google, allow all of my approximately 30 employees bring their pets in to work with them. At any given time, we can have 10 dogs running all over the 10,000 sq. ft. workroom/administrative offices. Two of them are my own Boxers that come with me every day. Mind you, we're a textile manufacturing company so we don't get walk in customers (although some of our vendors and our UPS, Fed Ex and ABF delivery people all have to either bring treats and/or take cover when they come in :teeth:), I've never received one complaint from anyone. However, we do warn all prospective employees that we operate a dog friendly establishment when they fill out an application, so it's not like we've ever suckered anyone into working with them.

Oh, what a wonderful place to be able to work!:thumbsup2

Any day that I leave from my house to pick my DD up from school, I take 1 of our dogs, but we never get out of the car. She gets so excited when she see DD coming toward the car. The male gets carsick sometimes and hates riding in the car, so he usually stays home.

They go with me sometimes to the pet store, but other than that, they usually stay home unless of course, we're headed to the vet. We go for long walks daily, so that usually satisfies their craving for getting out of our house and yard.

I have been watching with interest the news stories on restaurants that are starting to allow dogs. If any of those open near us, I would love to take them out to eat. Right now their only restaurant outing is a trip through the drive-through somewhere after the dreaded trip to the vet.

And that I can understand and your dog is in the car so it really doesnt affect anyone but you. The ones Im talking about take the dogs right up to the door. My kids normally have to dodge atleast 1 or 2 dogs on the sidewalk to get to our car.

Both my little ones are afraid of dogs. Thats something we are working on because I want them to be cautious but not afraid. It doesnt help when Spot is trying to jump all over them as they go by.

You are speaking bibles of truth OP! My son is TERRIFIED of dogs- and many outings have been ruined by people bringing their animals into places they don't belong. I think the Paris Hiltonesque era of doggie as accessory is to blame. When we are in Costco or the mall I am not prepared for dogs and if one catches my son unaware- he freaks out. If, however, I take my son to the park or any other OUTDOOR establishment, I explain that there may be animals there and he sticks close by me.
:grouphug:

OT but relevant--For those who have children who are afraid of dogs and they'd like to help the kids learn to not be afraid but be respectful, check to see if a local greyhound rescue in your area does adoption days anywhere. Greys are very docile, patient, quiet creatures who will stand or lay quietly while children pet them.

I take my dog to stores where he's obviously allowed, like the feed center and PetSmart. I also take him to eat on the patio of a lot of restaurants when the weather cooperates. If we were going to get a family portrait done, the dog--and two ferrets--are part of our family, and we'd bring them.

The establishment allows him, so I bring him. If someone has a problem with that, they need to complain to the establishment, because "LALALALALALALALA I can't hear you!" :rotfl2:

BTW--It's a fact that more kids are bitten by other kids than by dogs every year. ;)

I agree with you.

I have a wonderful Yellow Lab. I take him with me to Pet Goods, PetSmart, and Petco. We have a couple of local restaurants that have patio seating and allow pets. So in the good weather I call ahead, and see if it's okay, and I go. And we go to all the dog friendly parks in the area.

I don't take my dog to stores like Wal Mart, Sears, etc. If they did do a Pet Day with Santa, then the store is inviting pets in which would say it's okay to take you pet with you.

If you have that big of a problem with it, you need to call establishments in advance to find out if pets are allowed. Simply avoid those places.

Problem solved!

I love animals but they have a proper place and some places they do not belong- just like humans.

ITA! It's not like a dog thinks the mall is a ball of fun. They'd be better off at a dog park with other dogs to run free and play with. Or for a ride in the car where they can stick their head out the window and feel the breeze in their face. I was at a mall once and saw a beautiful pink stroller. I looked inside and instead of a baby, I saw a dog. Now, why would you need to bring your dog to a store (not pet related in anyway) in a stroller? I do feel my cats are part of my family, but I sure wouldn't think of taking them to the mall or grocery store with me. Pets (unlike kids) can safely be left at home while you run errands. They'll be all the much happier when you show back up to play with them.

Actually, I can think of a lot of places children don't "belong". My point, though, was that if you come here and launch an attack don't be surprised if someone returns fire.

Yes, but that response wasn't fully loaded. A pet can be safely left home alone, a child can not. Plus, there are rules that only service animals are allowed in malls. There are no rules that only well behaved children are allowed in malls. If they made that rule, the malls would go bankrupt as nothing encourages spending more than a whiney brat and a permissive parent. :rolleyes:

Op I wholeheartedly agree with you but it seems there are bad doggie parents as well as bad kid parents. The same ones that will take their dogs into Waldbaums would take their screaming kid into a 5* restaurant thinking it is the most well behaved child and to hell with anyone else. My kids shouldn't have to eat in the car because you think it's cute for fifi to be in her doggie stroller at McDonalds. My children are human beings and have rights your pet is a pet and belongs @ home, dog park, petsmart, etc.

I love my dog and if the establishment welcomes dogs then I will bring them to the place. There is a wonderful mall in my area Partridge Creek where dogs are allowed in the mall and almost all the stores it is wonderful. I think it is just as rude to bring your obnoxious, grabby, loud, screaming children into resturants and stores as you think it is rude to bring my dog to an establishment (i.e. sears photo studio) that allows dogs and unfortunately out-of-control children.

I would take my dog to a portrait studio, but would consider it my responsibility to see that she didn't bother other patrons. Any other time my dog stays home.

I didn't realize how many people on the Dis hated children. :headache: I guess I just figured Disney= kids, so people must like them.

I can't figure out though why people who hate kids would want to go to a place that is packed full of them. :rotfl2:

Yes, but that response wasn't fully loaded. A pet can be safely left home alone, a child can not. Plus, there are rules that only service animals are allowed in malls. There are no rules that only well behaved children are allowed in malls. If they made that rule, the malls would go bankrupt as nothing encourages spending more than a whiney brat and a permissive parent. :rolleyes:

not to me and my friends-nothing makes us run out of a store faster without buying anything than whiny brats and parents who refuse to discipline their kids!! :lmao:

I can't see the harm of a well trained, leashed dog walking along with their "person" at the Walmart or a little one in a bag or even a stroller. While I don't see the necessity of having it there, I don't really see the harm either. If you or yours have severe allergy issues, you will have the same allergy issues with a service dog as with a family pet-same with the extremely fearful kids. If they are that afraid of large dogs, it's not going to matter that the large dog is well trained and on a harness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter