• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can you pay extra to upgrade a child to an adult on dining plan?

Since you aren't on free dining. They are going to charge you the differance between the child price of the dining plan and the adult price of the dining plan along with the ticket price differance. It's only a good deal if your on free dining.

I just called to see how much for my DS to upgrade and they told me that it was approx $12/day for child and $30/day for adult. It came out to to approx $300 extra to change him to an adult plan. I would like to know who you talked to about it only costing $50 or so, because I will call them and change it with them.

We are not on the free dining, we are on the 4/3 instead.

this is my dilemma and I have just realized it. We are going July 24-July 30 and July 31- Aug 7, I had to do a split because of the 4/3 deal. So anyway my dd is 9 when we go, but she turns 10 on July 31st. I asked about that when I booked and she said she will be 9 the whole 2 weeks as that was what she was when you booked .... ok so here is what I just thought of ..... because it is a split stay she will be 10 on the day we check in for our second week (we are staying at same resort and have continuous stay on our ressie), will they say oh your daughter is now 10 and charge me all the extras? It is a big amount to me so I dont want any surprises.

So because I just realized this I went on to the 35% off for summer and took of the dining plan, dont need tickets got 10day, so will need room only, it will be $100. cheaper. Another thing I never thought of as I was considering the QSDP was.....when I was pricing out what we spent on food a day it was $100. for 4 of us (CS ONLY) and 2 snack/drinks each...that is pretty much what the dining plan was......only one thing I missed...the dining plan my dd is 9 so only gets the crappy kids meals, oop she was getting the same thing we would be getting........so now I am wondering if I should just cancel the second week and rebook room only??????? Suggegitons are good.....

Thanks!!!

I would NOT do the QSDP with a 9yo, unless DD is happy with the kids meals the whole time. I think you will end up supplementing her meals OOP. If you want to try it with the QSDP, it could work if you or DH share with DD here and there too. It all really depends on what type of appetite and tastes she has.

Well it depends on the places we go to....myself and the 2 kids NEVER finish our meals or drinks and every year I say.....we are sharing, but never do it...so DH ends up trying to finish off our meals.:worship: Last year she and I did a few kids meals but again depends where we were, the turkey wrap at Electric umbrella is disgusting...it is processed cheese and was so bad.....she would not like it....but after 4 yrs we discovered the Sunshine place...we always seen it just never ventured in...so we will skip the umbrella and use the Sunshine place....I have til June 16th to decide about the 2nd week so I am sure I will change my mind a million times before then...lol thanks!!!

Great thread! We are going during free dining in August and after reading this thread I just changed my DS age from 9 to 10 so he could order from the adult menu. Total cost for the change for 8 days..$37.50! :cool1:

I have already made all my reservations and told them seating is for two adults and one child. If I upgrade my 9 year old (who turns 10 while we are there) on the DDP so she doesn't have to order on the kids menu, will this become difficult when we show up for our reservations?:confused3 Or should I call and tell them that she'll now be considered an "adult" for dining?

We just called and told the CM what we wanted to do when my DD was 9 (she didn't particularly like eating "kid" food either). The cost was very minimal, maybe around $40 for our 8 night trip. No lying involved, the CM said people ask about it all the time.

I am usually on the side of the "morality police", but I honestly don't think this is lying! I think it's a choice to pay MORE than you have to, and I think it's an okay choice for some families.

I have already made all my reservations and told them seating is for two adults and one child. If I upgrade my 9 year old (who turns 10 while we are there) on the DDP so she doesn't have to order on the kids menu, will this become difficult when we show up for our reservations?:confused3 Or should I call and tell them that she'll now be considered an "adult" for dining?

I was in the same situation and when I made the change yesterday I asked the same question. The CM told me I did not have to change all my ADRs. Age change would not matter as long as the number of seats remained the same.
:banana:

We did this last year when DD was 2. We had the room show we had 2 adults and a 3y/o. We paid for her park passes and got her the meal plan (during free dining.) No way was she going to be happy eating off our plates the whole time. We saved the park passes since she didn't need them to enter the parks & will be using them this trip. Again, we were completely honest on the phone with Disney when making the booking. It was all on the up & up.

Great thread! We are going during free dining in August and after reading this thread I just changed my DS age from 9 to 10 so he could order from the adult menu. Total cost for the change for 8 days..$37.50! :cool1:

I am thinking of doing this as well. What number do you call? Thanks very much!!

Looks like you are going during Free Dining.

If that is the case all you would have to do is change her birth year and then pay the difference from a child's ticket to an adults ticket. But now Disney will have her in the system as a year older which might be bad in the future. Also you are now letting her know that it's okay to lie.

We did this last year during FD w/ DD who was 9 @ the time.

Didn't cause any problems at all.

Explained to the CM that we wanted her to have the adult meal plan.

Paid for the adult ticket price and she was all set.

I am thinking of doing this as well. What number do you call? Thanks very much!!

If you booked through Disney you can call the reservations number (407)939-7675. I booked the entire package (except airfare) through the Disney site.

Keep in mind this was during free dining, if you are not getting the free dining it will be substantially more to do so. What I had them do was quote me first then decide if I wanted to upgrade which of course I did after confirming the price.

:wizard:

We did this last year when DD was 2. We had the room show we had 2 adults and a 3y/o. We paid for her park passes and got her the meal plan (during free dining.) No way was she going to be happy eating off our plates the whole time. We saved the park passes since she didn't need them to enter the parks & will be using them this trip. Again, we were completely honest on the phone with Disney when making the booking. It was all on the up & up.

We have a two year old turning three on the trip. This is what we would like to do but I thought that we would have to use her ticket to enter the park every day since she was now listed as three??

And this may be the dumbest question of all... lol but when I booked the free dining I already had tickets so I only bought one day passes with our package.. that is all I had to buy right? If so, in the above situation wouldn't you only have to buy a one day pass to qualifiy the 2 yr old for free dining?

We have a two year old turning three on the trip. This is what we would like to do but I thought that we would have to use her ticket to enter the park every day since she was now listed as three??
Nope. Her age when you check in is her age for the entire trip.

If so, in the above situation wouldn't you only have to buy a one day pass to qualifiy the 2 yr old for free dining?
Everybody in the room/on the reservation/package has to have the same ticket.

We are going during the free dinning period. My son is 9 and for us to make him a "adult" it was only an additional $40.00 for the whole week.

That would work for me too! my son will be 8 but he is tall and a big eater and not picky. I was thinking I would have to eat some kids meals myself so he could have a break from pb&j and chicken nuggets for 10 days. The $40 will be well worth it. Thanks for the idea! :thumbsup2

I have been reading these forums for a few weeks now. This is absolutely the most usefull thread I have read!!! Fantastic! Thanks very much OP! :cool1:

Trying to do this right now ~ DS eats more than me! 1st Cast Member (sounded like he's from India) would not change his age. Said it's not ethical, would I do the same if we weren't visiting during Free Dining? Just got off the phone with a 2nd Cast Member who's English was quite clear, she said the same thing. I guess I need to not be so honest and just say "Whoops, you have my son down as 9 he's actually 10!"

I personally don't care what ethnicity the CM is. If I want to change my childs park tickets from child to adult thats my decision and meal plan should follow.. no? No need to change his age just change the park entrance tickets.

Trying to do this right now ~ DS eats more than me! 1st Cast Member (sounded like he's from India) would not change his age. Said it's not ethical, would I do the same if we weren't visiting during Free Dining? Just got off the phone with a 2nd Cast Member who's English was quite clear, she said the same thing. I guess I need to not be so honest and just say "Whoops, you have my son down as 9 he's actually 10!"

I would try to rebook the entire ressie and "correct" his age that way.

Just want to warn though that if you do this- when and if you go back that is not during free dining, you will have to pay the higher age price.

I thought of doing this with one of the twins as he eats around the clock (last time the DDP was not nearly enough food- he can eat 2 kids meals) he is 5' tall and 75lbs so very very very thin and does not look his age at all, the boys dont even look like twins. So I thought that having the adult menu more food to fill him up. But then I wanted to book another trip in Jan and would have to be the same age then.

Just want to warn though that if you do this- when and if you go back that is not during free dining, you will have to pay the higher age price.

I thought of doing this with one of the twins as he eats around the clock (last time the DDP was not nearly enough food- he can eat 2 kids meals) he is 5' tall and 75lbs so very very very thin and does not look his age at all, the boys dont even look like twins. So I thought that having the adult menu more food to fill him up. But then I wanted to book another trip in Jan and would have to be the same age then.

I don't agree. My daughter was listed as 3 years old two years in a row. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter