Can you offer opinion of AKL? pictures?

mickey0624

LET'S GO RANGERS!!!!!
We are planning a vacation in early December and are looking into staying at the AKL. We usually stay at the Poly when we go (over 15 times at the Poly).Looking for something a little different at Christmas time. Does anyone have any opinions about AKL? How is the transportation? Is it decorated for Christmas? if anyone has any pics, I would appreciate it.
Thanks

You may want to check out allearsnet.com. Go to their accomodation section and click on AKL and they have many photos of the resorts. We stayed there last year for a few nights in January and loved it. Our 2DS said it was their favorite resort. Beautiful, tranquil spot.

we were disappointed in the AKL... we found it to be dark (very dark) and the rooms were cramped (but the bathroom was big)... we also found transport to be spotty (compared to other resorts, esp POFQ) at best... and we paid extra for a savannah view that also disappointed... we saw maybe 4 animals in two full days/nights (and one day ds was sick so we spent a LOT of time on the balcony waiting for the animals)... the pool was also dirty and left our skin feeling "icky" when we came out, plus the slide closed very early each evening (compared to POFQ's slide every night the week before)...

i would not go back... but i know a lot of people LOVE AKL...

We're leaving on Sunday for our stay. Last December we visited the AKL to eat at Boma. Delish! :love: We fell in love with the resort, which is why we're going next week.

I would recommend looking on the AKL thread on the resorts board. They're very good answering questions and recently there have been lots of pictures posted from past stays.

During Christmas time, AKL was beautiful. The tree in the lobby was majestic and the ornaments were gorgeous. We were impressed with the friendliness of the CMs and the savannah.

If you decide not to stay here during your next trip, I would at least recommend dinner at Boma.

My wife and I love it there. The atmosphere, the pool, the food, the smell (yes, smell...a wonderful smokey sweet smell you'll notice as soon as you walk in), the rooms. It was everything we were expecting and more.

We saw lots and lots of animals every day out on the Arusha Savannah. I would guess somewhere between 10 and 20, between the ankola cattle, the zebu, the giraffe's, etc. It was mindblowing to walk out of our room, onto the balcony, at 7 AM and have our breakfast and morning coffee while the animals were eating THEIR breakfast. We spent hours out on our balcony (we were there for 14 days back in '01).

The pool was nice and large. We didn't partake of the water slide, but did enjoy the hot tubs. The pool is well themed (it's meant to look like an oasis, so it's sort of painted with that "sandy bottom" color scheme) and the zero entry feature was nice. The pool bar is awesome, and has some of the best adult libations one is likely to find.

The food was just unreal. Boma's is the best buffet I've ever eaten at (though it requires a bit of an adventerous pallette...not a hugely adventurous one, but a bit) anywhere. Jiko's was right up there with WDW's best and is a close second to V&A's for my wife and I. Their selection of South African Wines was stunningly good, as well.

The rooms (we were in a deluxe) felt more than adequate to us, but there were also only 2 of us. Not sure if staying in a standard or having wee ones with us would have changed that perception. The rooms also were not too dark for us, but I've heard others would like more light. We found with the blinds open there was plenty of light for us, especially during the day. One common complaint I've also heard from the ladies is they have a problem with the light level when putting on makeup. My wife didn't voice any such complaint, but...I wouldn't really know one way or the other.

One of the other great features is all the Cultural Representatives staffing AKL, and the myriad of art exhibits scattered around the entire hotel. We spent time just checking out eah exhibit, and spent a LOT of time talking to the CR's.

The transportation, for us, was fine. We did have our own car, but used Disney Transport quite often to the theme parks (but used our own to DTD and other resorts). AKL doesn't share it's busses with any other resort, so that helps speed things up a bit. In addition, there is only one bus stop, so you're not making multiple stops around the same resort, either. It is remote, so travel time is a bit longer to Epcot/MGM and especially the MK. But it was certainly tolerable.

AKL used to be our favorite resort, until we stayed at the Poly, so after staying in the Poly you might be a little dissappointed.

The rooms are definately smaller, but how much time do you spend in your room. We love the atmosphere and the African theme. I like the fact that it's all one building you don't have to go outside to get everywhere.

We have never had a problem with transportation there, but we are pretty easy going and don't mind the wait. When ever we were under a time crunch we just drove our own car.

We all loved the Savanah view and watching the animals, so if you can afford it I would go with that. If not we have gotten lucky several times and been upgraded to Savanah view for free.

We never ate at Jiko, but Boma was fantastic and we really enjoyed the Mara. I love the soups at the Mara, so if you get a chance sample on of those.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask me and I will try and answer as best I can.

We fell in love with AKL. It started on a trip over to Boma for dinner - the Lobby just captivated me. When DH & DS announced they would be taking me to WDW for my 40th B-Day, I knew part of the trip had to be at AKL Savannah view.
We loved it so much, we added a few nights on our Dec. trip last year at AKL.

This trip, we are staying at our favorite (Swan/Dolphin) to be near F&W Fest. It's a short trip, but DH & I are having a hard time not spending half of it at AKL. Our perfect vacation is half at Swolphin & half at AKL.

It's one of our favorite resorts. We love the smells, the general store and the staff. Also, love the animals and decor.

One night just after sunset, a group of 7 zebras chased each other from one end of the savannah to the other .. and passed right under our window! They went lap after lap .. faster and faster ..

Now .. tell me .. where else can this happen?? :sunny:

We love the AKL. The rooms are decorated in darker colors than say the BC, but it's rather the same colors as the Polynesian. I think the rooms are very nice. We didn't use the bus service but a few times, but we never had to wait long for a bus at all.

It is very pretty at Christmas. The tree is huge and decorated with all kinds of African crafty items.

Here're some of my pics ..

Our 5th floor corner room .. taken from the rock

ourroomAKL.jpg

looking back towards the lobby from the rock ..

AKL1.jpg

dinner time ..

view2AKLrock.jpg

gif2AKL.jpg

We loved AKL, even with 5 in a room. It was a little cramped, but you can't beat a savannah view, and the pool was nice, too.

Like everyone said....The smell. It sounds so odd, but it is so warm and inviting. Walking into the lobby you are so over whelmed with the decor, the scent in the air makes it all cozy.

I love AKL! The only other deluxes that I have stayed at have been the GF and the WL. AKL beats them both by far. The multi cultural castmembers are awesome. Boma and Jiko are unlike any restaurants I will find back home in Seattle. I adore the decor in the rooms, it is like you are away miles away from florida and the parks.

Nightime is when the resort shines. It was built for evenings with the wonderful aromas from the restuarants and the play of light on the savanahs and the public spaces.

Transportation? We never waited for a bus. I think that the trips on the buses and boats from WL and GF were longer.

Room size? I do not think that the rooms are small by any means. The rooms at the CR and the Poly, I understand, are huge. I was perfectly satisfied with the standard rooms at AKL.

Enjoy your trip!

-Erica

DS & I will be checking into the AKL in exactly one week
After checking out of VWL we're stopping for brkfst at O'Hana's w/Stitch and then we're on our way to AKL

I don't know how anyway could not love AKL! It is so different from any other resort. Kind of like the WL in design, but the lobby is so beautiful and the people are so friendly. Wonderful place. The bus transportation is good, so that is really not a factor. We like to be a little more "in the action" like with the EPCOT resorts or the Poly. That is the only reason we haven't been back, but we always visit. Eat a Zebra Dome for me!

I forgot to include this link to my AKL Webshots album:

AKL Pictures

They are from 2 trips last year, mostly views of the Savannahs. We are absolutely captivated with the Savannah view. We can never get enough of watching the animals.

Thanks for the link Leota
I put it in my favorites and will take the time to enjoy once Im officially on vacation in EIGHT hours

My family loved AKL. The air seems to change when you walk in the door. It is a little dark and cool, but that makes the transition even more profound. Artwork is everywhere, and there are cultural representatives closeby to answer any questions. I remember that everyone seemed to smile and say Hello. Then there are the animals! How relaxing to sit on your balcony and watch them as they graze.

We were happy with the transportation, and really did not need to wait very long. Never used a car.

Mara, the quick serve restaurant is well stocked with a variety of items, and we all found food that we wanted. There is an activities board listing all that the hotel offers, including an art tour and a culinary tour, PLenty for kids also. The pool is beautiful.

Yesterday, my little DGD said that she wanted to go back to the AKL. I do too.

Leota said:
I forgot to include this link to my AKL Webshots album:

AKL Pictures

They are from 2 trips last year, mostly views of the Savannahs. We are absolutely captivated with the Savannah view. We can never get enough of watching the animals.

LEOTA....
Thanks for sharing your pictures-they look great! We are going in October for my daughter's 10th birthday...I noticed the picture with the cake. Can you give me any info on that? Did you order it there? Price? What else they do for birthdays? Any tips would be helpful. Thanks! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter