• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can You Leave Kids In The Cabin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyVirgin

Earning My Ears
I was wondering - what do people do with their children later evening? Would it be OK to leave the kids (mine are aged 8 and 6) in the cabin on their own? They are not "late birds" and we were wondering about putting them to bed after show and then having an hour by ourselves while they settle and go to sleep. Is there any sort of listening facility on the phone - come to think of it - are there phones in the cabin? I would welcome suggestions.

DisneyVirgin said:
I was wondering - what do people do with their children later evening? Would it be OK to leave the kids (mine are aged 8 and 6) in the cabin on their own? They are not "late birds" and we were wondering about putting them to bed after show and then having an hour by ourselves while they settle and go to sleep. Is there any sort of listening facility on the phone - come to think of it - are there phones in the cabin? I would welcome suggestions.

I think that's up to you and your kids :)

Mine will be 9 and 6, and they are sound sleepers, but I wouldn't be comfortable leaving them alone. Although at this age they rarely wake up and need anything, it still could happen and if they are in a strange environment and we're not there, they'd probably get pretty upset. Plus the younger one might wander...

The kids clubs are open to 12 or 1. From what I've read, they have sleeping mats and show movies late at night, so your kids can fall asleep or settle down while in there late while you have some adult time.

We allowed DS who was 12 1/2 when we sailed to stay in the room while we went out as well as he went out while we stayed in...also let him stay onboard ship while we spent some time at the adult beach at CC. He did fine, but he is older. I'm not sure about that age...it would have to be your call and the children as youknow your own kids best. I do remember Goofy's Slumber Party happening in the kids' club which might be an alternative.

Laura ºoº

I think it would be up to you. I left my kids in the room for 1/2 hour by themselves (the oldest one is 11) and I was worried the entire time.

Personally, I would not leave a child younger than about 12 in a hotel room or cruise ship cabin alone. That's just me though.

My kids are a little younger (7 and 4) and would not consider it at this point. Maybe when they are a little older, however I think the would ifs (the fire alarm, lifeboat emergency, etc) would cause me to have a horrible time even for an hour so I think they would have to be much older for me to consider it (old enough to evacuate on their own).

if you feel your children are mature enought to handle staying by themselves, i would just leave them in the room with a two way radio - that way if they needed you (ie, they wake up) they could simply contact you and you could get back to them

We left our 9 1/2 year-old DD in the room alone one night after our late-dinner seating. We'd had a very busy day on the water trampoline in St. Maarten, and she fell asleep at the dinner table that night. She would've been miserable in the oceaneer's lab, being as tired as she was. (She'd stayed in the stateroom for short periods of time before.) DH and I attended the tropical night party after taking her to the room. One of us went to the room approximately every 20 minutes to check on her. We were out for about an hour. She did fine. I think, though, that it's up to each parent, and how comfortable they are with the situation, and how well they know their child.

I think with enough Duct Tape any child could be safely left alone in the cabin. I would reccomend 1 role for each hour you expect to be gone. That is per child. :rotfl:

That is why a lot of us book verandas. Tuck the kids in and sit with a glass of wine out on the deck.

You may also want to know that the curtain between the bunks and bed is pretty good. You can sit in your cabin and read while the kids fall asleep. However, the TV is on their side and the noise still comes through.

As for leaving them, that is up to you and your comfort level. Do your kids tend to wake up at night? Waking up in a strange place can be very scary when you are six. The ship can be a place of strange loud noises (for instance when someone thinks your cabin is theirs and tries to bang their way in) and movement.

Six seems young to me. The kids club does pull out movies and mats, and there is a room full of sleeping kids (and some watching movies) at 11:00pm.

On our last cruise my DD was 8 on 2 nights after dinner and shows, DH and I put her to bed probably around 10:30-11:00ish and we would go to one of the clubs onboard for an hour or so. She had no problem staying in the cabin watching cartoons. Each night she was sound alseep when we got back. Like the other posts have been stating it is something that is strictly between the parents and child.

We cruise again this Sunday and she already has told us, that she would be fine if Dad and I wanted to do that again. We also have triplets that are 4 yrs older than her and would check in on her or if they took her to the pool area or something would leave us a note.

It worked very very well and we plan to do it again.

As for the Kids Clubs, my children weren't that impressed with them. The older ones we allowed to have the privilege to check themselves in or out and they mostly stayed out. My younger seemed to page us so much that we finally just didn't try to put her in anymore.

Good luck!

I think the key would be those two-way radios one poster mentioned. Otherwise, there would be no way for the kids to find you if they woke up sick or something.

I could be wrong...but if you have one of the pagers from the kids clubs...the kids could always page you if they woke up and needed you. Just incase that dosn't work the two way raidos would be the way to go. You may also want to let the kids know you may be out of the room for a short time...Maybe talk with them ahead of time (before your cruise dates)..and simply let them know after they go to bed you may go to an adult club for a short time...but if your needed for any reason...do this...and let them know how to reach youit would also be wise to give them rules to follow while in the cabin alone...ie don't answer the door for anyone...and don't leave the cabin to search for us. That way if they should wake up they won't be so worried or scared as to why or where are mom and dad. But keep in mind the Oceaneers club does have "quiet" time in the evening with movies and mats.

I don't think they could page you, unless they called/went to the kids club & asked a CM to do it??? Like the other posters have said, you could sign them into a club & if they get sleepy they can sleep there. They seemed to move the sleepy ones into a different room that was part of the club. It was fairly quiet in there, so they could rest or sleep.

To the OP, there is nothing stopping you from leaving them in the room... would be your personal choice.....

I definitely think it is an individual thing for each child and family. My DS15 was very mature at 8/9 and would probably have done fine. But I am not sure I would leave my DS10 alone for any length of time even now.
I probably wouldn't leave mine alone in the cabin unless I thought they were old enough to leave alone at home.

ask yourself--would you leave them home alone at night and go out? what is the difference? some of the other posters had excellent suggestions. for instance, the kids club is something your children will likely enjoy immensely. tired or not--my son wanted to close the club every night (at 1 am when he was 7 and 8 years old.) also, the idea of the verandah was a good one. this is just my opinion. my kids are now 6 and 9 and i would not feel comfortable leaving them in the cabin alone.

If you would not leave them alone at home at this age, I would not leave them alone on the ship. MHO.

I say 6 is to young. But that is only me. I would be stressed out leaving her in the room at that age. :sad2: Now we left them at the kids club till 1ish that was good. :banana: hope that helps

My friend and her DH made reservations for Palo one night, her 2 DD (5) & (7) did not want to do the Kids Club since they had done it earlier in the day, so my friend ordered room service and once the meal came her and her DH went for dinner. The girls knew how to reach them if needed but felt awfully grown up. This was the first time she did this and the girls were fine. I also believe that it is a personal choice. :earsgirl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter