• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can You Help Me With DH's iPad Mini?

MIGrandma

Lives in the middle-of-the-mitten.
DH lost his cell phone in a corn field that he was measuring for his job, there was no way to find it, so that evening we went to the Verizon store and he got a new one (apple). As they had $300 off an iPad mini he decided to get one. He keeps asking me questions about it and I know nothing. I have a Kindle, and I imagine some things are similar but I really can't help him much so thought I would ask here.

How do you put books on it to read? With my Kindle I go to Amazon, or get them through our local library which then goes through Amazon as well, but I don't know how it's done on the iPad. Also, are there apple apps for the iPad like there are for the phone? I have a Kindle app on my Droid phone so I can read books on my phone as well, but I don't know if that's possible with the iPad. So, please tell me what I need to know to help him out with it, thanks. :)

About all he's done with it is use the internet for Facebook and a few of his favorite web sites.

DH lost his cell phone in a corn field that he was measuring for his job, there was no way to find it, so that evening we went to the Verizon store and he got a new one (apple). As they had $300 off an iPad mini he decided to get one. He keeps asking me questions about it and I know nothing. I have a Kindle, and I imagine some things are similar but I really can't help him much so thought I would ask here.

How do you put books on it to read? With my Kindle I go to Amazon, or get them through our local library which then goes through Amazon as well, but I don't know how it's done on the iPad. Also, are there apple apps for the iPad like there are for the phone? I have a Kindle app on my Droid phone so I can read books on my phone as well, but I don't know if that's possible with the iPad. So, please tell me what I need to know to help him out with it, thanks. :)

About all he's done with it is use the internet for Facebook and a few of his favorite web sites.

The Apple store has classes that will walk him through everything he needs to know about his apple product and they are free.

Does he have an iTunes account? Once he sets that up he can access many apps ( including kindle)

As for how to get books to read, he can download the Kindle app and go through Amazon like you would with your Kindle.

Yes he can. When you go to Amazon and pick a book to read and put it in your cart it will give you options of where to put it. My says my iPad. I also have the Amazon app downloaded on my iPad. It will go right to it.

Did you ping his phone?

Yes, once he gets the iTunes account set up, he can go to the App Store and download the Kindle app, and then he will be able to access all of his Kindle books on the iPad.

The apps for the iPad are just like the ones for the phone.

If he has an iphone, all of the same apps for iphone are available for ipad. There are definitely apps for ipad for reading but I have a black & white nook for reading so I've never read on my mini. I like that all of my music and pictures are on both my iphone and my ipad. Imessages will also show up on the ipad so if he leaves on his ipad, you (anyone) can see his messages. Found that one out accidentally when a surprise party being discussed with our sons was not a surprise to my hubby after all, lol.

Like they said...all he has to do is install the kindle app then he can buy books off amazon just like you do

Once everything is set up, I would note that one of my most useful apps is "Find My iPhone" from Apple.

It basically shows the location of enabled Apple mobile devices linked to the same iTunes account. I've used it to find where my phone was on a map. And once the approximate location is determined, I can have it create a sound to find the device. I think other manufacturers have similar features, but Apple's is very well integrated.

It can also be used to disable a lost device if there's worries about sensitive information being found. I think this might be used for company issued devices.

My iPad serves as a phone. if I'm on my iPad and my i-phone rings, my pad will ring, too (when both devices are in the same vacinity. The first time it happened, I was surprised! It as a works as a telephone through FaceTime audio.

I'm sorry, I misread your post and thought he had a Kindle, so he'd already have a collection of Kindle books.

So yes, he can read books on the Kindle app if he'd prefer to buy through Amazon, or he can go through the iBooks store on his iPad (the orange icon with an open book on it).

My iPad serves as a phone. if I'm on my iPad and my i-phone rings, my pad will ring, too (when both devices are in the same vacinity. The first time it happened, I was surprised! It as a works as a telephone through FaceTime audio.
Mine does that too. Handy sometimes because for whatever reason I can't always hear my phone.

You can turn this option off, if you want to. I hated it.

I use the overdrive app to get books from my library to put on my kindle app. Your library website should tell you how to get e books from them. I love it!

Did you ping his phone?

Battery is probably dead by now, so too late. It is supposed to almost impossible to lose an Iphone, the GPS will get you to within 10 feet of where it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter