Can you help me with Costco?? Prices

What I think is a deal. These are the Denver metro prices

1/2 gallon of Whippingcream $5.50
1 quart of half/half is 1.49
I am going to have to stop by Costco when we make homemade ice cream. Whipping cream is so much cheaper there, I had no idea.

I have to say since I moved from NJ to SC I seem to buy alot more at Costco. I buy all my meat at Costco.

I also love the frozen chicken, they have Perdue and Tyson. The breaded chicken is really good.

My very favorite purchases at Costco (because I think they save me the most money) are:
- the big bag of chicken jerky for my dog (it's $9.99 at Costco and easily the size of 4 of the bags they sell at my local pet store for the same price)
- Odwalla fresh juices (either about $4.75 for a half-gallon or about $9 for a flat of 12 individual-size bottles that I love to grab for breakfast)
- bananas -- $1.29 for a whole bunch (about 10)
- organic, free-range eggs (about $3 for 18 eggs)
- and, hot house tomatoes (a plastic box with about 18 small tomatoes for about $5).

Non-food things that I often buy are magazines (30% off cover price), movie tickets, iTunes gift cards, boxes of greeting cards, flourescent light bulbs (you have to buy 8-10 at a time, but they are significantly cheaper than the hardware store), and nice cushy socks.

Have fun shopping! A good way to start or end your trip is to get a frozen latte (like a Frappucino) at the food court for $1.25. Yum!

p.s. These are California prices.

My favorite is the tub of the Nestle Toll House Cookie Dough - I think it's around $6?? It's been a while since I got one. The kids love to scoop it out & make cookies - taste pretty good for not being the ones I've made from scratch! Plus, you can make as many as you want at a time.

Another yummy thing for me - frozen Cheesecake Factory cheesecakes, pre-sliced, 4 flavors. I'm the only one who eats it in the house, so I can keep it in the freezer & take out a slice (or two!) when I'm in the mood for it.

Bought it Saturday for 329.99-it comes with extra nunchuck controller and mario party #8.They had just put it out on Sat and I was back Sun and they were out already.I actually worked for Costco for 8 years and My hubby did too.We no longer get the free membership we used to but I stll choose to pay for the membership because they have some great stuff-specially diapers if you use them.Their membership is also refundable at any time if not happy so you can always get your money back if you find you don't use it.

We buy paper products there....it seems like we go through soooo much of it!

6-pack of Kleenex tissues (230ct or 280ct, I can't remember) $10.99
36-pack Costco brand toilet paper about $15.99
12-pack Costco paper towels $11.69
2-pack of 2% milk (2 gallons) from $4.69 to $5.99
bananas (bunch) $1.30
5lb. bag shredded medium cheddar cheese $10.99 (same cost for 5lb. block)
2 dozen XL eggs $2.30
10lb. bag carrots $4.29

My membersnip pays for itself even if I only buy the salad. I get Earthbound Organic Spring Mix, a lb for 4.29. In the local stores it's about 2.99 or more for a 5 oz bag. I buy one box of this pretty much every week. Then I get a 3-lb bag of Craisins for under $7 to add to my salad- again, a great deal. The huge chickens at $5 are cheaper than cooking one myself. They had wild-caught sockeye salmon in the frozen section for 6.67/lb-- but tonight they were out of it- I hope they aren't discontinuing it! PLUS if you go during the day, you can get a free lunch with all the samples :).

The bananas are 1.30 for 4 lbs- but they don't get eaten quick enough in my family to make it worth buying them. During the early summer, the blackberries were a very good price- around $5 for a huge container.

Disney and other costumes are great buys too. You can get Princess dresses for around $20. Allergy meds and other OTC stuff are really good buys- I get a huge bottle of Benadryl (Kirkland brand) for a few bucks.

You really do need to know your prices to know if some items are a bargain or not, but sometimes just the convenience of buying your electronics, tires, food, costumes and office supplies all in one place are worth the price. I do much better on cereals at Trader Joe's,which is a lot of fun to go to. They are about half the price of the supermarkets and of Costco and they have a nice selection of super-healthy stuff.

I think the clearanced items at Costco end with .97 .
They also have Costco rebates and coupons periodically. (My BIL works as one of the heads in the Rebate Department at their corporate office.)

:)

Is he the one I would complain to because I never get the coupons in the mail??:confused3

Is he the one I would complain to because I never get the coupons in the mail??:confused3
Go to the Customer Service counter and tell them you are not getting the coupon books in the mail and that you want to double check why. They will check your mailing address and then make sure you get them the next time they are mailed out. :goodvibes

Wow, you guys are getting me excited about shopping at Costco! We have a new one opening up nearby this Fall. My membership to BJ's just expired, and I think I'm going to just let it go and get a membership to Costco instead. I've liked BJ's, but it sounds like they have some even better deals on items I buy a lot of at Costco. Thanks for the low-down!

I'm on the fence about getting a Costco membership when my BJs expires in a couple months. My main concern is that I remember Costco only accepted AmEx the 5+ years ago that I had a membership there, do they still only accept AmEx for credit cards or have they expanded to accept Visa/MC too? I usually only use my debit card for purchases at BJs but sometimes my Visa too if I am making a large purchase such as an electronic item.
TIA to anyone who answers.....

I'm on the fence about getting a Costco membership when my BJs expires in a couple months. My main concern is that I remember Costco only accepted AmEx the 5+ years ago that I had a membership there, do they still only accept AmEx for credit cards or have they expanded to accept Visa/MC too? I usually only use my debit card for purchases at BJs but sometimes my Visa too if I am making a large purchase such as an electronic item.

They still only take AMEX. In fact, they have their own Amex available now.

Now I like BJ's more for certain items. I don't have a BJ's by me anymore. I like the deli counter and BJ's also takes coupons. Plus all the cards and wrapping paper are 50% off. BJ's also will sell some items not in a huge bulk.

Costco also doesn't take manufacterer's coupons (we used to stack BJ's and manufactuerer coupons on toilet paper and kleenex). OTOH, our Costco has a liquor section. :drinking1 :drinking1

They have a FREE Amex (it costs the membership price- ie, you charge your membership to it so there is no other annual cost) which I wanted to get anyway for car rentals, and they also take debit cards and checks.

If you get the Costco AMEX card, they make it your membership card with your picture on it. I have one and I also kept my membership card, in case I should forget my AMEX card at home, then I can still get in to Costco without having to get a temporary day pass at the Service Counter to get in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter