• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

can you get ok parade views if you turn up late...

FPL

Mouseketeer
We went to WDW eairler in the year at peak time and made a real effort to get a parade spot early for excellent views. The one time I really didn't tolerate this was for spectromagic where we had to get a spot about 60mins before (which in itselft was fine) but then had to be squashed in like sardines for that time and have various people coming and going and treading on your fingers!!!

Now we are going to DLRP for a few days over new year which again is peak time but i'm less concerned about getting front row views and spending too much time sitting on freezing cold concrete waiting for parades to start. Can you turn up and still get an ok view at the back - are the floats tall enough etc. will you miss alot.....surely there must be loads of people who don't get a front row view????

i have only ever been at off peak times and i dont turn up more than ten minutes before the parade. i few times i have been unable to get a spot particularly for stars n cars in the studios. i would think at new year you need to grab a spot in good time to get a good view.

I usually wait upto 20mins for the parade even in off peak times because at DLRP people will try and push you out the way no matter what.

If you are going during New Year i would advise getting the front maybe 30mins prior the the parade starting esp for Stars n Cars.

just wondering though - if you didn't get a front spot - can you still see anything? or are the parades only worth watching from the front.....

You can still see but not as good as if you are at the front. The floats are high but as well as the floats there are characters and dancers at ground level and the characters interact with the crowd so you wouldnt get this.

Sometimes you can find places where the crowd isnt as dense so you can be closer even though you are at the back.

Im not sure children would be able to see as well though from the back

thanks for this - it's what I thought. No children so thats ok.

It just means we can decid if we want to spend a cold hour waiting or just catch what we can when we can!

just wondering though - if you didn't get a front spot - can you still see anything? or are the parades only worth watching from the front.....

th first two times we went we didnt get there early, we didnt see very well but we found the higher up main street you walked the better the view as it seemed less crowded up there

out of curiousity where does the parade o after going up main street? i dont see it come back down like the party train so assume it goes outside the park?

out of curiousity where does the parade o after going up main street? i dont see it come back down like the party train so assume it goes outside the park?

It goes off towards It's a Small World and goes out through the gates there :thumbsup2

I refuse to spend good holiday time sitting around staking out a place to see the parade, both in WDW and DLP. We stand where there is room and see what we can, I don't think we've missed anything yet!

No way would you find me sitting waiting for an hour or more to view the parade.

It goes off towards It's a Small World and goes out through the gates there :thumbsup2

or if its going the opposite direction which it always has when Ive seen it - it goes out of the gate by the entrance to Discovery arcade (near the shop with the prams outside)

I refuse to spend good holiday time sitting around staking out a place to see the parade, both in WDW and DLP. We stand where there is room and see what we can, I don't think we've missed anything yet!

No way would you find me sitting waiting for an hour or more to view the parade.

i think the parade is part of the holiday and one of the best bits so i do like to get there early (altho not an hr dont think ive ever seen people sat there that early anyway)

My sentiments exactly for this trip!!

i think the parade is part of the holiday and one of the best bits so i do like to get there early (altho not an hr dont think ive ever seen people sat there that early anyway)

When we were at peak season in WDW people were waiting 1hr40mins to get a spot for Spectromagic.......:confused3

wdw is much much busier than dlp

There's no denying that!

I agree that the parade is worth watching, but in my humble opinion, once per trip is more than adequate. And as I said, we never 'staked out' a spot but still saw everything and got some awesome pictures.

For the original poster, we found that a good viewing point was up in Fantasyland by the 'archway' near where the parade starts. We found it was very quiet in comparison to main street where people were struggling for a good view.

I waited an hour for the christmas parade in november 2007, but i wanted a front row spot, boy did I have to fight to keep it though, people pushing from behind, people trying to push in by just stepping up onto the pavement in front of us, total nightmare. :sad2:

omg we must go when its dead...we have no one standing beside us and we go see it every day..I think once we were at the back but that cause it had started already and we were late.

For the original poster, we found that a good viewing point was up in Fantasyland by the 'archway' near where the parade starts. We found it was very quiet in comparison to main street where people were struggling for a good view.

I'd agree with that - although you may still have to stake out your spot there over New Year. Not an hour beforehand though, I wouldn't have thought.

During a normal 4 day trip, we will try and watch the parade from a front seat view (30 minute wait)

Other days if we see a good view point with 5/10 minutes to go, we might sit and wait.

Its amazing how many people think that they have a right to push you out of the way and get a front seat view as the parade is arriving:mad:

I usually stand at the rail on the train platform right where the parade ends. There you can see the whole procession coming down the street and no-one can get infront of you cause you are leaning against the rail. It's great for pictures too as you are raised being on the platform.

If you goto youtube and do a search for aj270303 you can see some vids i took from the platform.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter