Can you fly within the us with a uk provisional licsence?

Gala

Earning My Ears
Basically, can a person travel within the US with a UK provisional drivers license? it has my photo and date of birth,someone had told me it was possible but im wondering if thats true, and if anyone here would have an idea. I've looked online but no luck really to much crap in the search sites. If anyone knew id really appreciate it :) thanks

Call the airline and check. I guess I'm wondering why a passport just isn't used?

u need a passport that can be read true a machine and dont forget to esta otherwise u might not even be able to board the plane

Okay, so you are asking about DOMESTIC travel within the US? In other words, going from (from example) New York to Orlando? If so, then you should be fine as the TSA has provisions for those who show up without ID.

You can find the info here:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/acceptable_documents.shtm

We understand passengers occasionally arrive at the airport without an ID, due to lost items or inadvertently leaving them at home. Not having an ID, does not necessarily mean a passenger won’t be allowed to fly. If passengers are willing to provide additional information, we have other means of substantiating someone’s identity, like using publicly available databases.

Passengers who are cleared through this process may be subject to additional screening. Passengers whose identity cannot be verified by TSA may not be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint or onto an airplane.

Acceptable IDs include:

U.S. passport
U.S. passport card
DHS "Trusted Traveler" cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
U.S. Military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DOD civilians)
Permanent Resident Card
Border Crossing Card
DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
Drivers Licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
A Native American Tribal Photo ID
An airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)
A foreign government-issued passport
Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) card
Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)
Non-US/Canadian citizens are not required to carry their passports if they have documents issued by the U.S. government such as Permanent Resident Cards. Those who do not should be carrying their passports while visiting the U.S.

However, I point you to the section that I've bolded - you should be carrying your pasport with you.

I also question how you are going to get into the US (from the UK) in the first place as you'll need a passport. If you have a passport, use that (rather than your UK provisional drivers license) to travel domestically.

Basically, can a person travel within the US with a UK provisional drivers license? it has my photo and date of birth,someone had told me it was possible but im wondering if thats true, and if anyone here would have an idea. I've looked online but no luck really to much crap in the search sites. If anyone knew id really appreciate it :) thanks

Look, theoretically you should be able to use it because it's a government-issued ID with photo and date of birth... but there are a lot of countries in the world, and you can't expect the airline personnel to be familiar enough with UK provisional driver's licenses to know whether yours is real or fake, and whether it is a meaningful ID.

Don't chance it. Take your passport. With the driver's license, you are relying on the goodwill of the airline personnel. They don't have to accept it, because they have no way of verifying it.

I've always kept my passport on me when traveling in a foreign country. Why take the chance of getting into a sticky situation and having to figure out how to get the passport out of the safe while you are being detained? Or what if you get stuck someplace, and can't get back to where you left your passport, and you need to fly home?

thanks everyone for the help i appreciate it :) . i sent away for a passport and am waiting for it to get it back but its taking its time, as they do. and i was asked to travel to meet my ex in louisiana in a week wich is quite soon so thats why i had asked if it was possible to use the provisional, other than that my old fl id has expired and i cant drive, all of those things take their time for such a short notice request to meet him...but my family dosnt aprove after asking for there advice and deep down i believe they are right after all the crap i had dealt with this guy so sudden trip canceled haha

thanks everyone for the help i appreciate it :) . i sent away for a passport and am waiting for it to get it back but its taking its time, as they do. and i was asked to travel to meet my ex in louisiana in a week wich is quite soon so thats why i had asked if it was possible to use the provisional, other than that my old fl id has expired and i cant drive, all of those things take their time for such a short notice request to meet him...but my family dosnt aprove after asking for there advice and deep down i believe they are right after all the crap i had dealt with this guy so sudden trip canceled haha

How are you going to get into the U.S. to begin with if you don't have a passport?

im in the u.s. i sent away for a new passport but its taking its time, my old fl id expired and i cant drive so i dont have a drivers license. i was asked to meet my ex in a week so i cant get an id renewed in time and my passport is taking its time to get here and it wont be here in time for me to leave so im left with my uk provisional license.but my family dosnt apporove plus i cant anyway due to not having the right id. its just to soon but i thought it was worth asking incase :)

im in the u.s. i sent away for a new passport but its taking its time, my old fl id expired and i cant drive so i dont have a drivers license. i was asked to meet my ex in a week so i cant get an id renewed in time and my passport is taking its time to get here and it wont be here in time for me to leave so im left with my uk provisional license.but my family dosnt apporove plus i cant anyway due to not having the right id. its just to soon but i thought it was worth asking incase :)

Um. It sounds like you are technically in the country illegally, then, which certainly will pose problems with traveling by air.

I would think you will have problems flying with that ID. In addition, the TSA procedures for verifying the identity of people flying without appropriate IDs could very well determine that you a foreign citizen without a valid passport. I'm not sure exactly where that leaves you, but I imagine at the very least it would lead to some very long discussions with INS.

Um. It sounds like you are technically in the country illegally, then, which certainly will pose problems with traveling by air.

I would think you will have problems flying with that ID. In addition, the TSA procedures for verifying the identity of people flying without appropriate IDs could very well determine that you a foreign citizen without a valid passport. I'm not sure exactly where that leaves you, but I imagine at the very least it would lead to some very long discussions with INS.

Agreed. There is far more to this question than the one posed in the OP.

OP - How long have you been in the US? How are you in the US? Tourist Visa? Student Visa? Landed Immigrant? US citizen (with, for some reason, a UK driver's license). Surely you have some official documentation allowing you to be in the US (which you could show to the TSA).

I think people are wondering how you are in the U.S. without a current passport if you are from the U.K.

Asuming you are in the US legally (or are a US citizen who got a UK license while living there--I have a German driving licence and am a US citizen so I know it happens--though I wonder why you could drive there and not in the US:confused3), anyway, assuming you are in the US legally can you jsut renew your Florida ID?

I think people are wondering how you are in the U.S. without a current passport if you are from the U.K.

Wow, people are fast to jump to the conclusion that this is an illegal alien. He/she could be a Permanent Resident Alien (green card) holder, especially if the "ex" is an ex-spouse. If so, the Resident Alien card is adequate documentation for a flight, but I'd recommend taking another form of ID too.

Many people don't realize it can take 6 to 8 weeks to renew a Passport, EU or other.

lol it dosnt take long for people to assume the worst. it would be easier to drive but that would mean he has to go out of his way to get me i think the idiot is afraid to come get me and knock on my door with out getting a fist in the face from my dad. im here legally, i have sent forms to renew my passort but like i said it wont get here in time if i wanted to travel, same with my florida(fl) id. he wanted me to fly there next week on the 15. I waited a month to get my last fl id. hes not the kind of person to wait around to be honest and it wasnt set in stone that we'd even get back together, my family dosnt aprove and personally after everything i dont want to disapoint them.

Wow, people are fast to jump to the conclusion that this is an illegal alien. He/she could be a Permanent Resident Alien (green card) holder, especially if the "ex" is an ex-spouse. If so, the Resident Alien card is adequate documentation for a flight, but I'd recommend taking another form of ID too.

Many people don't realize it can take 6 to 8 weeks to renew a Passport, EU or other.

Other people may be jumping to "illegal alien", I was not. I am, however, confused how someone (living in the US) has only a UK provisional driver's license as ID.

An actual answer to this question would help with advice that we can provide. At this point, we don't know if it is a UK or US passport that the OP is waiting for, for example.

Thank You Walden lol, and crash for not assuming. this topic is kinda becoming out of hand.(editing again lol) i think ive defended myself enough to the point i regret looking for help here. no matter how many times i answer a question it dosnt matter so im done at this point.

Thank You Walden lol, and crash for not assuming. this topic is kinda becoming out of hand.(editing again lol) i think ive defended myself enough to the point i regret looking for help here. no matter how many times i answer a question it dosnt matter so im done at this point.

Thing is - you NEVER answered the question.

To paraphrase:

i think ive tried to help enough to the point i regret trying help here. no matter how many times i ask a question it dosnt matter so im done at this point.

What about taking a train or bus? You don't need ID for either of those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter