Can you bring your own golf cart to FW ?

barbyo

Earning My Ears
We will be spending Thanksgiving at FW, this will be our 1st trip there with our RV. My DH just purchased a golf cart and I was wondering if we can bring it along ?

Yes, but call FW to find out their specifications which your cart must meet. I believe it has to have headlights, taillights and be electric.

You can bring your own cart. They told me you had to have an electric cart but when down there I saw quit a few gas carts, so I asked about that and they told me as long as you have head lights and tail lights you where OK. I will have a golf cart next time I go. Have a great time.

We own an electric golf cart and a GEM Electric car (I call it a glorified golf cart) and have brought both to FtW at different times. I have seen people bring both gas powered and electric carts and have never noticed an issue. I also have seen people bring larger gas powered vehicles like the Kawasaki Mule. Those are a bit much in my opinion.

The biggest no no is to let kids drive golf carts. I let my 15 year old drive ours as long as either my wife or I were right alongside, however we got pulled over by security and given a warning. I was a bit miffed since in a he would be 16 in a few month and could get a driver's license to drive alone. BUT rules are rules and FtW has to draw the line somewhere. I just wish they were equally as diligent in enforcing the "no kids" driving rules on their rental carts. I saw some absolute dangerous driving and abuse to the equipment at the hands of noticeably young kids driving alone or with a group of other kids.

One time at Ft. Wilderness, I saw a family on a John Deere Gator driving around Ft. Wilderness, so if you have a gas powered vehicle, I don't think it matters. I think the biggest thing is how you use it.

Carol

Thank You for your responses, we have an electric powered golf cart with headlights and tail light. My DS ages 16,10 are well aware of the rules and we would make sure to enforce them. I have another question, will we need to drive our cart to the bus stations or are they relatively withing walking distance to all sites ? If not, what do you do with your golf cart if we have to take it to one of the bus stations to get to one of the theme parks.

There is "Golf Cart Parking" near the Settlement Area, the Marina, and the Outpost Bus Area specifically for this purpose. Plenty of parking and also a few plugs for recharging the carts while you are at the parks.

Carol

Powers that be. Gas carts are not welcome in FW, yet for the past few years no one has been asked to leave. They do recieve a verbal warning and told that in the future all gas carts and service type will not be allowed.
It is on the books and warnings have also been verbaly given that GEM style cars will be off limits in the future also.

We were given a pink paper upon check-in last Friday that lists lots of types of equipment and where or whether or not it is legal.

For gas carts--Yes on roads--25 mph or less. No on sidewalks or paths.

For NEV's--Yes on roads--25 mph or less. No on sidewalks or paths.

It gives the official info for skates, skateboards, unicycles (yes, I saw a realllllly tall one this weekend!), bikes, scooters, electric and gas carts, NEV's, Segways (yes, saw several of them too!), personal mobility devices, motorvehicles of all types, dirt bikes, mini-motorcycles, and gas powered scooters. Ask if you have a specific question--I'll keep this paper by the computer.

Barbara--who has 8 upcoming reservations and will be making more! :cheer2:

Hi All.

Per a telephone call with Fort Wilderness about 5 minutes ago...only ELECTRIC carts are allowed...NO GAS.

I have checked on this several times after being told once there were no restrictions, and a kind soul (John VN?) on this board told me to double check. SOOOO I did, and each time since I have been told no gas golf carts allowed. It pays to check with the resort itself before you go. I don't want to haul a cart all the way from Indiana if it is not allowed.

Even though their guidelines state no gas, and the front desk states no gas, they seldom enforce that rule out on the paths.

Carol

I have the same pink sheet that campingcorgi was referring to and it does list Electric and Gas powered carts with the same privileges. They are allowed on the roads and Multi-purpose paths. We go several times a year and see gas powered carts every time.

We were there 9/2 – 9/5 and saw the kid on the very tall unicycle too. He road it up to the back side of Meadows Trading post and was holding on to the ROOF to keep his balance while he waited on his friends to come back out. We also saw a couple of young kids on Segways in the cabin loops. Boy those look like fun!

I am an advocate of checking with the powers that be. Keep in mind that rules are subject to change, so keep on top of things. Also, just because someone does something and doesn't get caught doesn't make it right.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter