"Can We Un-Birthday Yet?" A He, SMEE, & They Sept. 2020 Trip Report *Update 11/21 COMPLETE!*

should clarify this one...my friend's daughter couldn't get the rapid test at a pharmacy in the county...but she COULD get one through the school...
Ah that makes more sense. I was wondering what school at this point wouldn't allow students to test!
I do hope she's ok now and also that she didn't go to the wedding. We all do what we feel is best and we don't all agree, but to know you or a family member is potentially positive and still expose to a larger crowd, well, I just hope she's ok!
Yes numbers here in MD have increased and they are starting to lock things down again. They were allowing high school sports to do practices starting in October for perhaps some sports in early spring that should have been fall sports...and now that's all been shut down.
Some of our MD agents were talking about this the other day :( It seems lots of states are imposing stricter closings and shut downs again. Our state just announced "low risk" winter sports can happen like gymnastics and golf??? But no word on basketball and wrestling which I don't see happening and I wouldn't be surprised if they reverse the decision on "low risk" ones.
Our governor today announced gyms, bars, restaurants have to close by 10 starting on Friday. Not sure that helps anything lol but it's starting.
That actually makes a lot of sense. I just wish people would be smart and wear their masks. No one likes it but it's such an easy thing to do.
Seriously! That's a big reason Ricky is home!

While I sit here waiting for the PS5 to go on sale online and watch episode 3 of "The Magic of Disney's Animal Kingdom" I thought why not do an update! 2.5 hours till everyone and their mother/father/siblings are on, trying to get 1 of about 200 units that will be available for 10,000 folks!

First let me show you some cool things I got this weekend! I happened in to our local American Eagle store and lo and behold, there was a full table of Disney apparel! It's a new holiday line and I went nuts; the sales kid got excited that I was so excited and of course I had my Disney mask ,necklace, and purse on me lol. Here's what I got:

Look at the beanie! Steve got one too, his call :earboy2: And then this super soft sweatshirt:

I even tried my hand at a beanie selfie for you all:

So run, don't walk to your nearest mall - or finish reading my update and then hit their website! Hoping it's nice and warm during the day for our Thanksgiving trip and chilly at night for our hats!

Day 5 Part 2: Ready; Set: Drink! Wait....Draw!

I left off with us getting ready for a lesson in animation out at Rafiki's Planet Watch:

Hi person over there thinking I was taking their picture! As you see the chairs are spaced out for physical distancing and they tell you where to sit. We had 3 chairs in our row so one obviously stayed empty. On our safari the driver said she thought they were drawing animal villains today out here so I was excited! When we did this last time we drew Simba. This time we drew

Yeah. Oh well, still fun and a break from the heat! That's Steve's drawing BTW mine wasn't picture worthy this time.

Our animator was great with a sense of humor, I forget how fun those animators used to be when they were in MGM! Also just like the CM's told us where to sit they dismissed us in a certain order by seat.

Oh while we were on line for the Animation Experience I saw something I never noticed before; have you guys seen this?

No? Well it's a "Wishing Watering Hole"

Neat
! Now we were done out here so we took the train back and got on to the serious stuff; THIS:

Ah, Dawa. SO good to be back with you! Only thing was they didn't have the garnish available yet; I forgave them. Steve got a beer of some sort and we chilled at a table right there for a bit.

Then we started making our way to Pandora via a walk by the super sad and empty Lion King Theater; but we did pass some friends:

Followed by some more friends:

This was great because we missed Pocahontas and Meeko in July and didn't see Scrooge with Donald and Daisy! One of my co-workers is there now and shared a picture of Santa going down the river on a barge :santa:

We weren't heading to Pandora for FOP believe it or not, we just wanted some Satuli! And then we went for a ride on EE with a 15 minute posted wait that was actually a walk on. By that time it was later in the day, the park was closing at 6 and it was about 5. We were HOT and felt gross and were looking for some pool time before dinner so we needed to hit the buses!

Ah that makes more sense. I was wondering what school at this point wouldn't allow students to test!
I do hope she's ok now and also that she didn't go to the wedding. We all do what we feel is best and we don't all agree, but to know you or a family member is potentially positive and still expose to a larger crowd, well, I just hope she's ok!

Some of our MD agents were talking about this the other day :( It seems lots of states are imposing stricter closings and shut downs again. Our state just announced "low risk" winter sports can happen like gymnastics and golf??? But no word on basketball and wrestling which I don't see happening and I wouldn't be surprised if they reverse the decision on "low risk" ones.
Our governor today announced gyms, bars, restaurants have to close by 10 starting on Friday. Not sure that helps anything lol but it's starting.

Seriously! That's a big reason Ricky is home!
That just sucks so bad.

Cool hat you look so cute
It's NAKED but still looks yummy
Then we started making our way to Pandora via a walk by the super sad and empty Lion King Theater;
I love that walkway so quite.

OH MY GOSH...love that shirt and sweatshirt. Guess I need to stop by the mall on my way home today! :)

Yes her daughter is on the mend and NO she didn't come home for the wedding...but she will be home for Thanksgiving anyway and then home until sometime in January as that's the earliest they will allow them back at college after that. My friend even thinks the wedding is just nuts anyway...in the current climate, and they won't be outdoors.

Yes to the stricter stuff. I think they have told restaurants to go back to 50% capacity and I am not sure they ever allowed them to stay open past 10 since they reopened post-Covid. I know that bars if they don't serve food can't open at all. I agree with you on the sport...wouldn't be surprised if all of them get shut down there too. The only sport being played around here is tennis, as that's a very easy sport to socially distance. I've been playing regularly since March, mostly outdoors but there are some indoor leagues happening now...very few.

Ooh, I just heard about the American Eagle line! And there just happens to be one at our mall a mile away from home.....

SO cute!!!! I hope you guys get to wear them on your trip :) I'm sure Mr. Selfie will capture the matching beanies perfectly!

Oh well, still fun and a break from the heat! That's Steve's drawing BTW mine wasn't picture worthy this time.
WOW!!! Steve's drawing is so awesome; I actually thought you were going to say the animator gave you theirs!

One of my co-workers is there now and shared a picture of Santa going down the river on a barge :santa:
WHAT?! I hadn't heard about that. Awesome!!

Glad that Chris has his hearing back. I know that was scary. I'm sorry Ricky's fall school experience was cut short. This year has been so tospy turvy.

Love you Disney finds! They are perfect for a Christmasy Disney trip.

I was 2 updates behind and enjoyed catching up. We've never done the Animation Experience. I'm a terrible drawer but my kids are much betters, especially my son.

Sorry to hear about Ricky having to cut the first term short. Andi has been being so careful and it is hard with so many not doing that.
Andi’s college is going back to all virtual classes after Thanksgiving. I just pray the spread starts to improve, it is blowing up all over the place, ugh!
Going into the Disney bubble or at least reading about it always helps. Your day at AK, so wonderful. I love AK, it is my favorite for so many reasons. Taking it slow is one reason, such a perfect park for that.
I really think the character cavalcades will be a favorite of mine, if I. Ever. Get. There,!!

While I sit here waiting for the PS5 to go on sale online
Didja get one!?!?!?
watch episode 3 of "The Magic of Disney's Animal Kingdom"
Haven't watched those yet, but will be.
It's a new holiday line and I went nuts; the sales kid got excited that I was so excited and of course I had my Disney mask ,necklace, and purse on me lol.
:laughing:
I even tried my hand at a beanie selfie for you all:
Cute pic. :)
Hi person over there thinking I was taking their picture!
At least smile... wait... maybe they are.
When we did this last time we drew Simba. This time we drew
Oh well... Guess you'll just have to go back and draw again.
That's Steve's drawing BTW mine wasn't picture worthy this time.
Whoops! Come on... how bad could it be?
Also just like the CM's told us where to sit they dismissed us in a certain order by seat.
Huh. But makes sense.
Oh while we were on line for the Animation Experience I saw something I never noticed before; have you guys seen this?

No? Well it's a "Wishing Watering Hole"
I don't think so. I mean... I've done the academy, but... nope. Don't recall.
Ah, Dawa. SO good to be back with you! Only thing was they didn't have the garnish available yet; I forgave them.
That's okay. As long as this sort of thing doesn't become common!
We weren't heading to Pandora for FOP believe it or not
I beg your pardon?
we went for a ride on EE with a 15 minute posted wait that was actually a walk on.
Whoa!

When we did this last time we drew Simba.
The first time we did the Animation Academy at HS they had us draw Stitch. The next time we were there the artist wanted us to do Stitch again but everyone complained and let us vote on drawing Buzz instead. It turned out that no one in our group knew who Stitch was, including us. ;)

Ah, Dawa. SO good to be back with you!
We saw a really long line at Dawa when we were there last month. I guess it's popular.

This was great because we missed Pocahontas and Meeko in July and didn't see Scrooge with Donald and Daisy! One of my co-workers is there now and shared a picture of Santa going down the river on a barge
We saw Musafa, I think, and someone else that I can't remember.

The Disney clothes at American Eagle are really cute. The cozy sweatshirt would be great for winter. :)

Cool hat you look so cute
Thanks! I'm not a hat person but last January we were FREEZING in Disney so I figure it may work when we're there in February if not this month.
It's NAKED but still looks yummy
:laughing: It does look naked!
OH MY GOSH...love that shirt and sweatshirt. Guess I need to stop by the mall on my way home today! :)
Ha ha did you? You definitely should before they close malls again.....
The only sport being played around here is tennis, as that's a very easy sport to socially distance. I've been playing regularly since March, mostly outdoors but there are some indoor leagues happening now...very few.
Yes tennis, field hockey and soccer are being played here now and football is/was supposed to start the beginning of this month but of course that changed.
Ooh, I just heard about the American Eagle line! And there just happens to be one at our mall a mile away from home.....
Run if you didn't already lol! It's all SO cute! I know I'll end up going back and trying to convince the boys to wear one on our trip 😂
I'm sure Mr. Selfie will capture the matching beanies perfectly!
LOL at least HALF the beanies for sure!
WHAT?! I hadn't heard about that. Awesome!!
I hadn't either! I hope to see him when we're there, I thought he'd only be in the MK!

Glad that Chris has his hearing back. I know that was scary. I'm sorry Ricky's fall school experience was cut short. This year has been so tospy turvy.
Thanks :) Yeah it hasn't been an easy year for anyone; I am super happy he got to go and enjoyed his time and wants to go back! And I hope they get to go back. He's ok here but missing his new friends already.
We've never done the Animation Experience. I'm a terrible drawer but my kids are much betters, especially my son.
I STINK at drawing but mine do usually come out better than I expect. You should try it next time!

Sorry to hear about Ricky having to cut the first term short. Andi has been being so careful and it is hard with so many not doing that.
That's the part that stinks, the kids being safe miss out on things while those who don't care about the safety rules get to do what they want at the expense of them all :(
Andi’s college is going back to all virtual classes after Thanksgiving
The plan for Quinnipiac all along was 2 weeks of virtual review/finals after Thanksgiving, not returning until the end of January so that hasn't changed. And actually we got an email last night that on 11/18 they're going down to orange status from red for the last 6 days. Doesn't mean anything for the kids already home, but still good that the positive cases have gone down by going to "red" for a week!
I really think the character cavalcades will be a favorite of mine, if I. Ever. Get. There,!!
You will, you will! My fingers are still crossed for you for next month!
Didja get one!?!?!?
Nope :mad: Tried at FIVE different times when they restocked. Besides the websites crashing and going slow there were probably 1.5 million other folks trying. Told Chris he may have to wait until a few months after Christmas!
Haven't watched those yet, but will be.
Very good if you like animals/Animal Kingdom.
I don't think so. I mean... I've done the academy, but... nope. Don't recall.
I'm guess many people haven't seen it since it's in the queue line and in normal times the line isn't super long or spread out.
I beg your pardon?
LOL that's right, we didn't try for FOP that day! We really enjoy it but it's not a "must do" for us when they boys are with us. We'll be riding this month though!
We saw a really long line at Dawa when we were there last month. I guess it's popular.
It is, and it's one of the few places in the park to get alcoholic drinks! And if it was still hot when you there that's another reason.
The Disney clothes at American Eagle are really cute. The cozy sweatshirt would be great for winter. :)
It's so fuzzy I can't wait to wear it! Kind of hoping the nights over Thanksgiving are chilly so I can wear it there :goodvibes

Nope :mad: Tried at FIVE different times when they restocked. Besides the websites crashing and going slow there were probably 1.5 million other folks trying. Told Chris he may have to wait until a few months after Christmas!
Maybe by then they’ll even have some games for it.
:rolleyes1
Very good if you like animals/Animal Kingdom.
Yup and yup.

Day 5 Part 3: The One With Nothing to Show for It

We had come to our final evening at Disney and were lucky to be again spending it with good friends. When we got back from AK, the folks that are @pepperandchips were till at the pool where they'd been all day so we joined them for quite awhile! We discussed what to do for dinner and before we knew it, it was 7:00 so we exited the pool to get ready to go to Disney Springs one more time.

Unfortunately I do not have many pictures from tonight as we just enjoyed being goofy and spending time together! We were chauffeured by our friends to DS and BOY was that a mess! Driving to DS on weekend nights (this was Saturday) is like the worse thing to do these days because the lines are LONG and they close the garages. We found a workaround
;) by getting in to SSR and parking there which made Mr. P & C super nervous because we may have told a slight fib about looking for a specific set of ears in their gift shop............................the walk to DS from there is short and very nice albeit makes your hair HUGE if it's humid out! Our destination was a final new to us restaurant that they'd been to before:

We asked to sit outside and had to wait about 15 or so minutes which we killed by looking in Uniqlo. We were called rather quickly and got a nice seat on their patio. The food was super good as was the company; I only have food pics so I'll just share the most important one, my sweating sangria and dessert!

The dessert is a . It was delicious and refreshing, although there really wasn't any chili kick to it which was a little disappointing. It was past closing time when we left as per our usual M.O. so we returned to our resort with plans to spend some park time with our friends the next day before we headed home.

Skip to the next morning 🌅🌇🌄

DAY 6 PART 1: MASKING OUR GOOD-BYE SORROW

Our last day, the day we all dread! When we first started visiting we never did a park on departure day. Then on a Feb. 2014 trip flights worked out that we left around 7pm so we gave it a try, and since then it's our preference to be able to do a park on departure day; makes the last night a little easier to swallow. And while I don't care what park we start a trip with I do prefer ending with MK, so we got ourselves up, packed, and this time on a bus to the MK right about opening time. Noticed these parade (or cavalcade) distance markers for the first time:

The Halloween cavalcades had been happening about 10ish days at this point so I guess they figured they were needed now. My goal today was just a few rides and a few cavalcades as we needed to leave around 12:30 so we went right to 7DMT about 30 minutes after opening and saw this! WHOO!

Then made our way to my fave MK ride in Frontierland with this in front of us:

And rather than some bears on top of their jamboree we saw some chipmunks! Wait.....skeletons?

After a ride on BTMRR with no wait (we skipped Splash as I didn't want to get wet and then be on a plane later) we went to PPF which we hadn't ridden yet this trip; guess what?

And we were going into the 2nd hour the park was open AND this was a walk on really. So far a great morning! We had skipped breakfast in lieu of returning to a recently reopened favorite hangout of ours so that was our next stop:

I missed this place in July! Steve just got coffee and we easily found a physically distanced table inside while I enjoyed EVERY.SINGLE.BITE of this:

Melinda and her DH arrived while we were in Gaston's so they met us outside and we went to ride Pirates. SB line I think said 40 but it was more like 20; unfortunately as we thought we did not get our ride photo because a family of nimrods sitting in front of us had their masks off as soon as we pulled away :mad:
After that it was approaching our hour of departure so we just did a little people watching in Frontierland. I'll be back with a final update and I'll also share plans for our Thanksgiving trip that we leave for in 9 days!

First let me show you some cool things I got this weekend! I happened in to our local American Eagle store and lo and behold, there was a full table of Disney apparel! It's a new holiday line and I went nuts; the sales kid got excited that I was so excited and of course I had my Disney mask ,necklace, and purse on me lol. Here's what I got:
So nice! I must check out our AE when I am in town this week!
Hi person over there thinking I was taking their picture! As you see the chairs are spaced out for physical distancing and they tell you where to sit. We had 3 chairs in our row so one obviously stayed empty. On our safari the driver said she thought they were drawing animal villains today out here so I was excited! When we did this last time we drew Simba. This time we drew
Very cute!
We weren't heading to Pandora for FOP believe it or not, we just wanted some Satuli! And then we went for a ride on EE with a 15 minute posted wait that was actually a walk on. By that time it was later in the day, the park was closing at 6 and it was about 5. We were HOT and felt gross and were looking for some pool time before dinner so we needed to hit the buses!
It looks like an amazing day at AK. It's always my favourite park!
We had come to our final evening at Disney and were lucky to be again spending it with good friends. When we got back from AK, the folks that are @pepperandchips were till at the pool where they'd been all day so we joined them for quite awhile! We discussed what to do for dinner and before we knew it, it was 7:00 so we exited the pool to get ready to go to Disney Springs one more time.
Pool time with friends is the best!
We asked to sit outside and had to wait about 15 or so minutes which we killed by looking in Uniqlo. We were called rather quickly and got a nice seat on their patio. The food was super good as was the company; I only have food pics so I'll just share the most important one, my sweating sangria and dessert!
Must put Frontera Concina on my list!
And rather than some bears on top of their jamboree we saw some chipmunks! Wait.....skeletons?
Too cute!
After that it was approaching our hour of departure so we just did a little people watching in Frontierland. I'll be back with a final update and I'll also share plans for our Thanksgiving trip that we leave for in 9 days!
I can't believe your trip is only 8 days away now. Once again, I will be living vicariously through your travels. Hope you have an amazing time!

the folks that are @pepperandchips were till at the pool where they'd been all day
"By now they had burst into flames and the fire department and paramedics were called."
I do not have many pictures from tonight as we just enjoyed being goofy and spending time together!
That's okay. It's nice to just enjoy, once in a while. :)
we just enjoyed being goofy
:goofy:
We were chauffeured by our friends to DS and BOY was that a mess!
They gave you a ride. It's not polite to then disparage their driving.

:rolleyes:
We found a workaround ;) by getting in to SSR and parking there which made Mr. P & C super nervous because we may have told a slight fib about looking for a specific set of ears in their gift shop
::yes::
Done similar.
The dessert is a .
Really! Amazing!
Our last day, the day we all dread!
:(
yeah

I wonder how many days... weeks... months you'd have to stay there before you were like: "Whelp. Guess it's time to go home now. I'm done."
When we first started visiting we never did a park on departure day. Then on a Feb. 2014 trip flights worked out that we left around 7pm so we gave it a try, and since then it's our preference to be able to do a park on departure day
I've never had that opportunity as my flights always seem to be either super early or early enough.
makes the last night a little easier to swallow.
I would imagine so!
I do prefer ending with MK
As do I.
Where is everyone???
we saw some chipmunks! Wait.....skeletons?
Skelemonks.
we went to PPF which we hadn't ridden yet this trip; guess what?
And we were going into the 2nd hour the park was open AND this was a walk on really.
Wow! I didn't think that was ever possible.
I enjoyed EVERY.SINGLE.BITE of this:
Yummm... love me some Gaston's cinnamon buns.
unfortunately as we thought we did not get our ride photo because a family of nimrods sitting in front of us had their masks off as soon as we pulled away :mad:
:sad2:

DAY 6 PART 1: MASKING OUR GOOD-BYE SORROW

Our last day, the day we all dread! When we first started visiting we never did a park on departure day. Then on a Feb. 2014 trip flights worked out that we left around 7pm so we gave it a try, and since then it's our preference to be able to do a park on departure day; makes the last night a little easier to swallow. And while I don't care what park we start a trip with I do prefer ending with MK, so we got ourselves up, packed, and this time on a bus to the MK right about opening time.

The Halloween cavalcades had been happening about 10ish days at this point so I guess they figured they were needed now. My goal today was just a few rides and a few cavalcades as we needed to leave around 12:30 so we went right to 7DMT about 30 minutes after opening and saw this! WHOO!

View attachment 538528

After a ride on BTMRR with no wait (we skipped Splash as I didn't want to get wet and then be on a plane later) we went to PPF which we hadn't ridden yet this trip; guess what?

And we were going into the 2nd hour the park was open AND this was a walk on really. So far a great morning! We had skipped breakfast in lieu of returning to a recently reopened favorite hangout of ours so that was our next stop:

Melinda and her DH arrived while we were in Gaston's so they met us outside and we went to ride Pirates. SB line I think said 40 but it was more like 20; unfortunately as we thought we did not get our ride photo because a family of nimrods sitting in front of us had their masks off as soon as we pulled away :mad:

I've always scheduled later flight departures so that we could do a final park day. We used to do EPCOT or HS, but last few times it's been a MK last day and I kinda like it that way.

AH those empty park photos...brings back so many great memories of our August trip before people started coming back to the parks. I loved being able to walk on to so many rides back then. It was defintely not the same this time around but it wasn't horrible.

I'm sad we missed those Halloween decorations and cavalcades.

STUPID maskless people...UGH!

July was the first time we'd missed MK on our departure day (dang park reservation system and no park hopping!) otherwise that is always our last park. I always have to say goodbye to the castle! (not goodbye, maybe just see ya real soon!)

I hope you have an AMAZING trip with your boys next week! I'm super jealous :)

I am so glad to hear about Chris's hearing! And I totally understand the frustration about Ricky's school. What a bummer! We are at a spot here in AL where they're seriously considering going to remote learning from Thanksgiving break thru Christmas break, which isn't the same thing at all of course, but it's all just such a mess.

I hope you guys have an awesome trip next week!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter