"Can We Un-Birthday Yet?" A He, SMEE, & They Sept. 2020 Trip Report *Update 11/21 COMPLETE!*

We really liked BLT when we stayed there!
We're really looking forward to it! We were supposed to stay there a few years back on a trip we had to cancel due to Ricky's ACL injury so it'll be nice to finally try it.
I’m with you, the way characters are out and about is so awesome! I love it!
I can see where parents of little ones would still want the traditional meets but this way is so fun when you don't always know who you'll see!
Old Elsa is better than no Elsa, Steve! :hyper:
🤣 👵
EEK Chucky too cute. Glad Chris was able to have a good time.
Me too; it was touch and go there for awhile as far as what the kids would be able to do if anything. Luckily that holiday was a hit!
I love Steves swimsuit, was your Disney themed?
Sadly no :( The only ladies suit that had any Mickey/Disney theme was a bikini and unfortunately that hasn't been my style for a few years now lol. But I do really like the one I found and for me to find one right off the rack rather than ordering from a specialty place is unheard of!

Hey there guys. Well it was an interesting week! Busy at work; the election; Chris went back to the ENT and his hearing has been restored, it's an election year miracle! Seriously though it's so weird how with no warning and no idea why something triggers that hearing loss and then steroids bring it back. Good news though! Then yesterday my nephew flew in from Georgia for a lacrosse tournament in PA., and mom and I grabbed it at the airport in NJ:

Haven't seen him since my sister brought her whole brood up in June for Ricky's graduation! So that was nice even though it was just a little time in the car and I'll see him Monday when we take him back.

Ugh and now for the crap news: Ricky came home from Quinnipiac today, 2 weeks early :( He's fine! The school was doing great with only 39 positive COVID cases before 10/30 and only 18 of those were on campus, but then on the 30th there was a HUGE party at a local catering venue. About 200 QU students and 250 Southern CT U. students went despite the pleas by colleges all this time not to go to big parties on or off campus and the consequences they put forth if you did. Long story short it led to a big increase in positive cases and on Wednesday the college when "orange"; classes fully remote, dining halls only grab n go, all social/sport/facilities like the gym shut down. Ricky and his friends were PISSED and I don't blame them! Like his awesome mom Ricky likes to party :rolleyes1 and he would have loved to be going to parties on and off campus all along, especially for Halloween. However he, his roommates, his girlfriend who lives next door, her roommates and some other kids he's become friends with all decided that their desire to remain healthy and ON campus was greater than their desire to party and possibly become sick and risk getting kicked out, even though it meant less fun and some boring days/nights for now. So angry that others disregarded that. He was still going to stay but last night it really looked like they were going to elevate to "red" so they all asked to leave today along with tons and tons of other students and as of about 2 hours ago they are indeed red until Thanksgiving.

I know I'm venting here and thank you for listening! He and his group watched horror movies and played Trivial Pursuit while those idiots were at that party. Is that what they wanted to do? NO! I am so proud of him and so happy he's met like-minded kids there who realize that while it stinks and isn't ideal, these rules are there for a reason and they respect that. FYI all kids identified as having been at the party are suspended and cannot finish classes but the damage is done. So here he is, also tested and negative, glad they made it this far but sad he had to leave his friends early.

And that brings me to our last full park day and first day at AK!
Day 5 Part 1: It's the Little Things - or the Big Ones

Today we started with a TS breakfast we had twice in July, since we didn't feel the need to rush to AK. Back to Trattoria Al Forno for the 3rd time in 2 months! I won't do a whole review but just look at these pancakes:

Mmm! Can't get enough! We had Lyfted over so casually strolled through the Boardwalk lobby and caught a bus to AK, arriving around 11.

They opened at 8 but we didn't care if we rode FOP or not and knew of all the parks AK consistently had the lowest waits.
I only had a few things I wanted to get done and we were heading towards Africa to start with my park favorite - when what to my wondering eyes should appear?

An OPEN Dawa Bar!! WHOO-EEEE! They were not open in July but I'd heard rumblings before our trip that they were opening "soon". Given that the safari was our destination and the line was down to the outdoor seating at the bar, Steve got in line while I got in line for a morning Dawa Mary! But, and this is a good thing, that line started moving about 2 minutes after Steve got in it and there were 3 folks in front of me, and before I knew it I couldn't even see Steve anymore. So I jumped out of the bar line vowing to return at my earliest convenience :P

Back to the safari! Yes the line was down by Tusker House and yes it was listed at 35, but we were on the ride in 16. Another situation where a line looks scary and ridiculous but isn't! I'm pretty sure there was some type of rogue animal on the road or something although being so far out we weren't hearing any announcements.

No animals on the road for our safari but we did see lots of 'em! This big guy was eating:

Interestingly enough when we went to 6 Flags last month we accidentally did the safari lol. And the giraffes DID block the road:

But you know what they eventually did to get these beautiful creatures out of the road after about 20 minutes? They sprayed them with hoses >:( I did NOT like that.

Back in Africa this past August I noticed a building I'd never noticed before:

This is towards the end, like right before that area I call "new" because I swear it wasn't there years ago. I guess I'm always looking at the other side! Well you see something new all the time on rides it's just not usually such a large detail......

After that we went to check the next "thing" off my list which is something we missed in July. We needed to take a train to accomplish this so hopped on the Wildlife Express. Physical distancing seating-wise:

If you've never ridden this you pass lots of "backstage" areas including many of the animal housing. We passed the area where they take you when you do the Up Close With Rhinos tour which is right next to the elephants:

It's a cute little ride out there. A little rough keeping space between others walking to the building as people were in a rush and didn't watch. It was fine once we got to the building and got on line for this:

Socially distanced drawing, up next!

Chris went back to the ENT and his hearing has been restored
Thank goodness! Good news indeed!
The school was doing great with only 39 positive COVID cases before 10/30 and only 18 of those were on campus, but then on the 30th there was a HUGE party at a local catering venue. About 200 QU students and 250 Southern CT U. students went despite the pleas by colleges all this time not to go to big parties on or off campus and the consequences they put forth if you did. Long story short it led to a big increase in positive cases and on Wednesday the college when "orange"; classes fully remote, dining halls only grab n go, all social/sport/facilities like the gym shut down.
😠
Are you sure it isn't a school for slow learners?
What the heck is it with (some of) that generation?
Back to Trattoria Al Forno for the 3rd time in 2 months! I won't do a whole review but just look at these pancakes:
Holy smokes! Look at those!!!
An OPEN Dawa Bar!! WHOO-EEEE!
:woohoo:

Back to the safari! Yes the line was down by Tusker House and yes it was listed at 35, but we were on the ride in 16.
You keep doing that!
Wonder what's in there?
But you know what they eventually did to get these beautiful creatures out of the road after about 20 minutes? They sprayed them with hoses :( I did NOT like that.
Probably didn't hurt them, but... yeah.
We needed to take a train to accomplish this
I know where you're going!
Socially distanced drawing, up next!
I was right!

Hey there guys. Well it was an interesting week! Busy at work; the election; Chris went back to the ENT and his hearing has been restored, it's an election year miracle! Seriously though it's so weird how with no warning and no idea why something triggers that hearing loss and then steroids bring it back. Good news though! Then yesterday my nephew flew in from Georgia for a lacrosse tournament in PA., and mom and I grabbed it at the airport in NJ:
Such great news about Chris!
So angry that others disregarded that. He was still going to stay but last night it really looked like they were going to elevate to "red" so they all asked to leave today along with tons and tons of other students and as of about 2 hours ago they are indeed red until Thanksgiving.
That is just awful.......poor Ricky! One of Jack's housemates is a "special friend" and has been out partying while the other boys take Covid seriously and have been so responsible. I feel so badly for Ricky when he has been making good choices all along.
An OPEN Dawa Bar!! WHOO-EEEE! They were not open in July but I'd heard rumblings before our trip that they were opening "soon". Given that the safari was our destination and the line was down to the outdoor seating at the bar, Steve got in line while I got in line for a morning Dawa Mary! But, and this is a good thing, that line started moving about 2 minutes after Steve got in it and there were 3 folks in front of me, and before I knew it I couldn't even see Steve anymore. So I jumped out of the bar line vowing to return at my earliest convenience :P
Yay for Dawa bar!
This is towards the end, like right before that area I call "new" because I swear it wasn't there years ago. I guess I'm always looking at the other side! Well you see something new all the time on rides it's just not usually such a large detail......
That's fun! I have never noticed that building either. :)

Are you sure it isn't a school for slow learners?
For what we're paying it better not be!
What the heck is it with (some of) that generation?
I don't know, honestly, but it's aggravating. There's a QU parents FB page and most parents are also frustrated with the kids who attended the party; then there are a few who always say "they're kids, they don't follow rules like adults and need to have fun". I agree on both points and can see them occasionally breaking some of the other COVID rules: maybe taking a mask off while walking to class with a friend, going to a friends dorm room in another building (since they started they've only been allowed in other rooms if they were still in their building and have to wear masks in other rooms). If you make friends with people in other buildings it gets old just visiting outside. Not saying it's right but I understand "slip ups" like that on occasion.
Going to a HUGE off campus party at a venue that is only allowed 50 inside? And at that, those 50 need to be masked? That was a BIG choice to make. A super tempting choice but at 18/19/20 they absolutely have enough good judgement to have weighed the one pro and the large cons for that.
You keep doing that!
It was like.......magic ;)
Probably didn't hurt them, but... yeah.
True I just don't think Disney would move them that way - could be wrong? I didn't like it either way. Disney will hold up the ride for 30-40-60 minutes for animals in the road.
On this topic I wonder at what point if any they do use something to move animals in the road lol, rather than have the trucks sit there for hours!
I was right!
So smart!
Such great news about Chris!
Yes! I knew the ringing was gone and he said he'd be ok if the hearing didn't return since it wasn't bad enough that he noticed, but so good nonetheless.
hat is just awful.......poor Ricky! One of Jack's housemates is a "special friend" and has been out partying while the other boys take Covid seriously and have been so responsible. I feel so badly for Ricky when he has been making good choices all along.
That's exactly how I feel and why I'm so proud of him; same for Jack! Best to him and his housemates!
That's fun! I have never noticed that building either. :)
So strange given how often we've ridden isn't it lol

For what we're paying it better not be!
:rolleyes1
Going to a HUGE off campus party at a venue that is only allowed 50 inside? And at that, those 50 need to be masked? That was a BIG choice to make. A super tempting choice but at 18/19/20 they absolutely have enough good judgement to have weighed the one pro and the large cons for that.
“Hi! Welcome to the party! Here’s your $1,200 ticket. Have a good time! Oh. And if you’re sick in the hospital, you can defer payment for 30 days.”
True I just don't think Disney would move them that way - could be wrong?
Nope!
On this topic I wonder at what point if any they do use something to move animals in the road lol, rather than have the trucks sit there for hours!
They send out the... shoot, can’t think of the title... zoo keeper? He comes out in his jeep and coaxes them off the road.

And that you/your kids were able to enjoy Halloween in some form. Chris went to a little party Friday and then to a friends house Saturday; Saturday he did what his friend was doing and just wore a basketball jersey but Friday to the party he wore his costume:

Halloween definitely was not the same this year. Glad Chris was able to at least do some fun things. My daughter went to her one friend's house that she has socialized with for the past 8 months and they dressed up and watched movies. Just like your kids, Alexis said she had heard of lots of kids having parties both inside and out and disregarding all the restrictions and I am proud of her for not doing it. It's really a difficult situation for them.

How beautiful is that Not So Poison Apple Cupcake? It was huge and delicious and my tongue looked like this after

That looked sooo good!!

I know I'm venting here and thank you for listening! He and his group watched horror movies and played Trivial Pursuit while those idiots were at that party.

I don't understand why so many people think this virus won't affect them. I don't know if it will take someone they know dying of it for them to care? Or even then...who knows. Ugh. I'm glad your boys are being safe and responsible even though it's hard and stinks!

I know I'm venting here and thank you for listening! He and his group watched horror movies and played Trivial Pursuit while those idiots were at that party. Is that what they wanted to do? NO! I am so proud of him and so happy he's met like-minded kids there who realize that while it stinks and isn't ideal, these rules are there for a reason and they respect that. FYI all kids identified as having been at the party are suspended and cannot finish classes but the damage is done. So here he is, also tested and negative, glad they made it this far but sad he had to leave his friends early.
Wow! That really sucks. Thank goodness Ricky tested negative and he's safe. Isn't it sad how some have to ruin it for the rest of us???!!! You must be very proud of Ricky.

But you know what they eventually did to get these beautiful creatures out of the road after about 20 minutes? They sprayed them with hoses :( I did NOT like that.
That would have pissed me off.

This was by far my favorite cavalcade, and they played "It's Good to Be Bad" as it went by. The only one we missed was Jack Skellington. I hope the holiday ones are as awesome!
We missed this cavalcade at MK. We only saw the characters on the train station.
For our dinner tonight we could have taken a boat to MK and walked over but to save my hair a bit of frizz we once again took a Lyft. Our destination was not totally new to us but was new to us for dinner - we were going to the Wave over at the Contemporary where we'd previously only had breakfast.
That would have been a long walk to get to the Wave. It would have been perfect if the resort boat to CR was running.
Chris went back to the ENT and his hearing has been restored, it's an election year miracle!
Yay for Chris. I'm glad that his hearing is back.
FYI all kids identified as having been at the party are suspended and cannot finish classes but the damage is done. So here he is, also tested and negative, glad they made it this far but sad he had to leave his friends early.
That is really rough to have to been good but still suffer the negative consequences of other people's bad behavior. At least Ricky is safe. Some of the colleges are sending the students home at Thanksgiving and not letting them return until January. They will be remote in-between the two major holidays.
No animals on the road for our safari but we did see lots of 'em!
The safari had shut down for at least 45 minutes when we were at AK last week because of animals in the road. It was hot and the line was super long, so we decided to skip it this time.

My daughter went to her one friend's house that she has socialized with for the past 8 months and they dressed up and watched movies. Just like your kids, Alexis said she had heard of lots of kids having parties both inside and out and disregarding all the restrictions and I am proud of her for not doing it. It's really a difficult situation for them.
Hey Kathy! Glad Alexis got to do something as well. It is definitely not easy and I understand that! It's weighing the huge risks vs small ones that gets me. I KNOW kids are going to take risks but so much more is at stake this year :(
Wow! That really sucks. Thank goodness Ricky tested negative and he's safe. Isn't it sad how some have to ruin it for the rest of us???!!! You must be very proud of Ricky.
Very proud! And thankful he's negative mostly because having him quarantine here would be a big pain in the butt. My friends son just tested positive so her other 2 kids can't go to school; they all need to stay home for 14 days as per the doctor and since her husband was at work when he was diagnosed (firefighter) they tested him there and as he's negative he'll now stay at the firehouse for 2 weeks. SUCKS!
That would have pissed me off.
Yeah it really did. I know it was just water it didn't look or feel right though. Spoiled by Disney.......
We missed this cavalcade at MK. We only saw the characters on the train station.
That's so cute too though!
ay for Chris. I'm glad that his hearing is back.
Me too, I just find it so strange how the hearing can be gone and then steroids return it! Either way just glad they do.
That is really rough to have to been good but still suffer the negative consequences of other people's bad behavior. At least Ricky is safe.
Yes that's the important part. We all get impacted in our lives by others' bad choices but after so many disappointments since this started in March, to have this happen that could have been avoided stings a bit more.
Some of the colleges are sending the students home at Thanksgiving and not letting them return until January. They will be remote in-between the two major holidays.
That is the plan for Quinnipiac and pretty much all the colleges his friends go to; home for Thanksgiving and back around MLK weekend. He didn't HAVE to come home as the college didn't close, but since they were going to higher alert status and basically at the point where kids couldn't leave their rooms except for food which was grab n go at that, they all decided to leave. If his friends wanted to stay he would have also. Right now they are "red" through 11/18 so there's the chance they'll go back down to orange or yellow for a few days before they close for the holiday, but in reality it's 2 weeks he's missing and being home with less risk of being exposed is best I feel.

Great news for Chris and I'm sure such a relief for you and Steve. I feel badly for Ricky and all of the other kids that are navigating school in such a unique way right now.

I enjoy reading about your trips, thanks for sharing.

Very proud! And thankful he's negative mostly because having him quarantine here would be a big pain in the butt. My friends son just tested positive so her other 2 kids can't go to school; they all need to stay home for 14 days as per the doctor and since her husband was at work when he was diagnosed (firefighter) they tested him there and as he's negative he'll now stay at the firehouse for 2 weeks. SUCKS!
This sucks.

SUCH great news about Chris!! I'm really glad the steroids worked for him.

He and his group watched horror movies and played Trivial Pursuit while those idiots were at that party. Is that what they wanted to do? NO! I am so proud of him and so happy he's met like-minded kids there who realize that while it stinks and isn't ideal, these rules are there for a reason and they respect that.
You're raising a really smart cookie!! I'm glad he and his friends were smart enough not to get involved in what sounds like a very risky event and still found a way to enjoy their Halloween! It's a real shame that he's losing out on the last couple weeks at school before Thanksgiving, but so glad he's tested negative and is safely home!

SO sad we didn't make it over to do this in July!! Can I just say how badly I missed park hopping!? Also, why I love longer trips. One day at each park is just not enough for me!!

Great news about the hearing returning.

SUCK news about the college stuff for Ricky. I cannot imagine. It just seems like the on-campus college life is not worth all of this that is happening right now, as there are so many things going on elsewhere. I have a friend who has a daughter in college a few states away. I guess she has been hanging with a core group of friends for the most part but about 10 days ago they all went out somewhere together...and either there was a new person added to the group or a person in the group had been exposed but didn't know? I can't recall but the bottom line was that all 8 or 9 of the friends tested positive for covid. My friend's daughter, since she lives out of state, was not allowed to get a rapid test at a local pharmacy as her friends did but she was with them. She is afraid to test because if she tests positive she will be relegated to another dorm (she is already in a dorm by herself as they went from 2 kids per dorm to 1 kid per room soon after school started) that is not as nice. However she has several of the symptoms...so we are sure that she has it as is my friend. Here is the kicker...they were supposed to be flying her home THIS week to attend a family wedding...which again WHY? This is my friend's niece who already got legally married several months ago after cancelling the original spring wedding. Now she is having a gathering a nearby state with about 70 people...for this wedding. My friend's daughter was to sing at her cousin's wedding. There is just NO way she should get on a plane. She apparently has been self isolating at school in her room with her friends bringing her food and leaving it. Still...I know my friend is a bit disappointed that her daughter can't come home now, even though they are sending them all home for Thanksgiving break anyway and they won't return to college until January sometime.

I haven't touched base with my friend again to make sure she has made the right decision to NOT fly her daughter home this week and to NOT attend the wedding...not sure if any of them will go...because again why risk that? Also the niece getting married...she is pregnant too.

Who is this guy?

Chris went back to the ENT and his hearing has been restored
YAY

Ricky and his friends were PISSED and I don't blame them!
I don't blame them either.

that line started moving about 2 minutes after Steve got in it and there were 3 folks in front of me, and before I knew it I couldn't even see Steve anymore. So I jumped out of the bar line vowing to return at my earliest convenience :P
Priorities

Great news for Chris and I'm sure such a relief for you and Steve. I feel badly for Ricky and all of the other kids that are navigating school in such a unique way right now.
Thank you and yes, it's a crappy time to be starting college. And finishing high school.....starting kindergarten......really anything lol! But Ricky handled it well and honestly loved being there and that's all I could ask for besides him being safe. Now we just cross fingers they can go back in January for the spring semester!
I enjoy reading about your trips, thanks for sharing.
:thanks: I really enjoy writing them. If I can get this one done I plan to do one for our Thanksgiving trip, especially since the boys are coming and they aren't in most of my reports lol.
This sucks.
Yup and now her DH is positive too.
It's a real shame that he's losing out on the last couple weeks at school before Thanksgiving, but so glad he's tested negative and is safely home!
Yes! Better that he's healthy and he's handling being home well. Staying in touch daily with his roommates so far, doing well with all classes online and enjoying being back with his "home" friends too :) I just really, really hope they're able to go back in January for spring semester......
Can I just say how badly I missed park hopping!? Also, why I love longer trips. One day at each park is just not enough for me!!
That's the one thing we truly missed! Dining was a little tough in July but was better in September and so honestly PH was the one thing we talked about missing. I also don't see it returning the way we knew it until capacity limits are gone or raised way high unfortunately.
Great news about the hearing returning.
Thanks! It is for sure.
t just seems like the on-campus college life is not worth all of this that is happening right now, as there are so many things going on elsewhere.
It's a risk definitely, but we're glad Ricky went. He loved being there and would prefer to be back there now than home lol. Quinnipiac did a wonderful job with their protocols starting before the kids even arrived, so much better than what many other colleges did. If it wasn't for the stupid Halloween party I believe the spike in cases would NOT have been high enough to reach red and not even orange. I felt he was pretty protected there! I do hope they get to go back in January but I know it will depend on the state of the world and definitely on how CT. is faring at the time.
My friend's daughter, since she lives out of state, was not allowed to get a rapid test at a local pharmacy as her friends did but she was with them.
OK this is weird; what state? It makes no sense. At QU they randomly test each week first of all but if you feel you've been directly exposed you request a test and they do it without hesitation. There are also a few places right off campus that do the rapid and PCR tests on students - any student regardless of where they're from - at no cost. Are they randomly testing on her campus? I feel the biggest mistake colleges made was NOT testing kids before they arrived (none of the SUNY schools did and as a result one closed after like 3 weeks and other saw early surges) and many aren't doing random testing.
Who is this guy?
LOL Bowler Had Guy from Meet the Robinson's :) He's a villain but he isn't as well known as others!
Priorities
For sure and you know I went back and got one :thumbsup2

OK this is weird; what state? It makes no sense. At QU they randomly test each week first of all but if you feel you've been directly exposed you request a test and they do it without hesitation. There are also a few places right off campus that do the rapid and PCR tests on students - any student regardless of where they're from - at no cost. Are they randomly testing on her campus? I feel the biggest mistake colleges made was NOT testing kids before they arrived (none of the SUNY schools did and as a result one closed after like 3 weeks and other saw early surges) and many aren't doing random testing.

I should clarify this one...my friend's daughter couldn't get the rapid test at a pharmacy in the county...but she COULD get one through the school...but she didn't want to do that because if she did test positive (and she was pretty sure she was) then the school would automatically remove her from her current dorm and put her in a much more isolated (and not quite as nice) dorm. Again she was already in the dorm room alone...she chose to self quarantine...and as far as I know she's doing fine doing that. Testing now, knowing she has probably had the virus for a while, would only mean they would restart the "clock" for her and she would have to do that 14 days in another dorm room. I'll have to check in and see what they ended up doing with her. My friend's thought was to have her tested this week a day or so before her flight, and if she tested negative she could fly, but my very good friend who works on the virus protocols basically said that was NOT a good idea...she could still be shedding the virus at that point and she would be putting a lot of people at risk. Plus I think the airlines require you to sign off on things like you haven't been exposed in the last 14 days, and many other things, and she would have to lie about that.

Oh no! Our numbers are going CRAZY high! We are over 10,000 cases a day. But, the death rate is at an all-time low (which is good)...

Yes numbers here in MD have increased and they are starting to lock things down again. They were allowing high school sports to do practices starting in October for perhaps some sports in early spring that should have been fall sports...and now that's all been shut down.

What I've heard/read about the death rates decreasing are a few things. One the people getting sick now tend to be younger people, so less at risk than when all the old people were getting it. And of course every day they learn more and more about how to better treat people just like any new virus.

What I've heard/read about the death rates decreasing are a few things. One the people getting sick now tend to be younger people, so less at risk than when all the old people were getting it. And of course every day they learn more and more about how to better treat people just like any new virus.
That actually makes a lot of sense. I just wish people would be smart and wear their masks. No one likes it but it's such an easy thing to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter