Can we get off the boat in Nassau without an excursion booked?

WDW4TheGirls

WDW4TheGirls
I am looking at the Nassau excursions, and while some look great, they are just so expensive. I'm shocked that it's over $200 for my family of 4 to just go to the beach at Blue Lagoon for the day! I'd love to get off the boat and let my kids swim in the Bahamas, but not sure that I can afford what is offered at this port. Does anyone have any experience here? Thank you!

By all means you can get off the boat and shop, explore, go to a beach, etc. I've just googled "Beaches in Nassau" and a bunch of reviews come up, etc, so you can just do your own research as to where you'd like to go. Just be sure to get back to the ship in time;-)

I am looking at the Nassau excursions, and while some look great, they are just so expensive. I'm shocked that it's over $200 for my family of 4 to just go to the beach at Blue Lagoon for the day! I'd love to get off the boat and let my kids swim in the Bahamas, but not sure that I can afford what is offered at this port. Does anyone have any experience here? Thank you!

If you get off at CC your kids will be swimming in the Bahamas. :laughing: DD & I didn't get off the ship in Nassau. I've been to the Bahamas and wasn't interested, neither was DD & she has never been. DH got off in search of a certain Cuban product and when he returned he told me that I was right, it isn't a very desirable stop.

When we went to Nassau back in 2006, we took a cab ($4/per person each way) over to Atlantis, walked around the Riu hotel through the woods, and stayed at the beach for FREE all day. There are locals selling all you can drink in coconuts and renting beach chairs, but it's quite peaceful. The currents can be tough there, so make sure your kiddos know that.

We always get off in Nassau, and have several spots to visit. First and foremost, a stamp in our passports (which can be done right outside Festival Marketplace, where you exit once leaving the pier). We also like strolling over to Fort Fincastle (gorgeous views from up there) and Queen's Staircase (very beautiful spot). If you don't mind walking, it is about a mile walk there and a mile back. Very nice stroll, especially on a nice day. There is also a public beach (Junkanoo Beach) that is about a 12-15 minute walk from the pier (or you can take the jitney, I believe #10 there for 1.25/person). And of course, no trip to Nassau is complete without a visit to Tortuga Rum Factory for rum cakes! This is literally a couple of blocks from the pier. Oh, and if you are interested, Hard Rock is right across the street from the pier, as well as Senor Frogs.

Let me know if you would like directions to any of these places; ask away and I will provide!

You can always get off the ship when it is in port :)
There are less expensive things to do in Nassau, I found an interesting walking tour that we plan to do this time. Last time we did a dolphin encounter at Blue Lagoon, but ITA $200 for a few hours at the beach is ridiculous.
BTW, the cruise ship is referred to as a ship, because boats fit on ships...us nautical typescript finicky about these details ;)

We booked a room at Comfort Suites to get full access to Atlantis. It is easy and much cheaper.

The port in Nassau is right in town so you can easily walk around to local attractions. Your kids might enjoy the pirate museum, it's in walking distance. The Ardastra Gardens is a cab ride away, a small zoo with famous marching flamingos. The straw market is fun. No need to sign up for an expensive tour.

We booked a room at Comfort Suites to get full access to Atlantis. It is easy and much cheaper.

That still costs more than the beach excursion the OP mentions in their post. They are looking for a much cheaper solution to going to a beach, not a cheaper solution to going to Atlantis.
Didn't want the OP or anyone else thinking they can book Comfort Suites for a lot cheaper than doing a beach excursion on their own.

We got off the boat to get our passports stamped at the yellow tower building. We tried to get onto the free Internet at the port but quality was really bad. Went to Starbucks but they were charging don't kow how much.

I really enjoyed Nassau when we were on a Dream cruise in April. We shopped a little, walked around, and visited some historic sites.

I believe Junkanoo Beach is very close to port, but some of the others on Paradise Island are a short bus or cab ride.

Take a cab ($4 per person each way) to CABBAGE beach. No cost to go to the beach. Locals sell VERY cheap and VERY strong rum drinks. Also people selling jewelry and tee shirts and hair braiding. Don't for get to barter---even on the drinks :)

Take a cab ($4 per person each way) to CABBAGE beach. No cost to go to the beach. Locals sell VERY cheap and VERY strong rum drinks. Also people selling jewelry and tee shirts and hair braiding. Don't for get to barter---even on the drinks :)

That is the beach I recommended in my earlier reply. Just be very careful with little ones or weak swimmers. The waves knocked DH's trunks right off on the day we were there. :rotfl:

I just did Nassau without anything planned last Tuesday. I saw the National Art Gallery ($5 per person), the Governer's House (free), the library (free), Queen's Staircase (free), and Ft. Fincastle ($1). I had a great time, didn't do the free beach but I know there is one. It's definitely worth getting off the ship and having a look around.

Certainly, you can get off the ship without having booked a shore excursion! Just a quick FYI, the Bahamas govt. has to clear the ship before anyone can get off--there will an announcement on the ships's P.A. system. So don't get stuck waiting to get off, go have breakfast and get your stuff organized for the day (a small day bag with sunscreen, water, maps, camera, etc.). Then those who have DCL shore excursions with early departure times will get priority to disembark so they can make their tours. I believe concierge cabin guests can also leave early.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter