Can we be upgraded after our room assignment??

sallymomo

Mouseketeer
So we paid for a Category 12 room. They upgraded us into a Category 11 room. I was really hoping for a Cat 9 or something since alot of people here have gone from 12 to 9. Is there any way to do this over the phone before we leave or can we do it there?? Or is it not possible anymore?? Also will there be a charge for getting this second upgrade??

So we paid for a Category 12 room. They upgraded us into a Category 11 room. I was really hoping for a Cat 9 or something since alot of people here have gone from 12 to 9. Is there any way to do this over the phone before we leave or can we do it there?? Or is it not possible anymore?? Also will there be a charge for getting this second upgrade??

Your best bet was to book the room that you would be happy in. Upgrades are random and there is no rhyme or reason as to who get what.

If you want to initiate an upgrade, then you must pay for it. If DCL gives you an upgrade, then it is on them. You can call and ask for the price and decide if you want to do it now. You can also wait until you get to the port and take your chances. It will probably be cheaper at the port, but there is no guarentee that they will even have open spaces.

Decide how much you want to pay and then call and see if it is in your price range. Good luck and I hope you get what you want at a very inexpensive price.

It is possible to receive a free "Pixie dust" upgrade at any time...you can find out when you get your cabin assignment, when you look up your ressie on line, or when you get to the port and either drop your luggage or check in. We found out once when the porter was comparing our name to room number on his list--I told him the room number and he corrected me that he has ???? which was an upgrade.

As above, you should always book a room where you will be happy. If you're not happy without a window, don't book a cat 12.

You can call DCL or your TA now and try to purchase an upgrade. The price will be the same as if you had purchased it to begin with--you will pay the difference between the 12 and the 9. You also may have the chance to upgrade at the port IF any upgrade cabins are available. In this case, the price will be less than it is now...by 1/3 to 1/2.

We booked a specific Category 10 room a year in advance. 10 days before sailing Disney called our travel agent with a different cabin number. We already had our documents with the original cabin number at that point.
But we did not book, GTY, we had our original cabin number from day one.

We booked a stateroom number and were upgraded 4 categories one week before we cruised and the docs had the old information on them. Anything can happen but don't count on it.

Also, if you call DCL to upgrade before your cruise you will pay the difference between the cat you booked and the cat you upgrade to. If you upgrade at the port you will pay the difference between the cat 11 you were upgraded to to the cat you select to upgrade to on your own. This usually means a significant savings when you are upgraded a few categories but could still save you a little money at the port.

Guarantee -- you basically say "I allow you, DCL, keeper of all that is good and fair to make a decision as to which cabin you will assign me..."

Essentially, you, by booking a guarantee, agree to accept a cabin in a category AT LEAST equal to the one you booked (12/11/10, etc) with no input as to where it might be. There is sometimes a significant savings in going this way and/or the opportunity for an upgrade.

Guarantee -- you basically say "I allow you, DCL, keeper of all that is good and fair to make a decision as to which cabin you will assign me..."

Essentially, you, by booking a guarantee, agree to accept a cabin in a category AT LEAST equal to the one you booked (12/11/10, etc) with no input as to where it might be. There is sometimes a significant savings in going this way and/or the opportunity for an upgrade.

Very nicely explained!!! :thumbsup2

Are you able to change rooms in the same cat after it has been assigned when you book gty? I know I was able to up-deck (2 to 7) but already had a room assignment (not gty). Just looking out for my fellow cruisers... On our cruise we have numerous cat 4 & 7 but not much anything else (9 & 10 are all gty).

Very nicely explained!!! :thumbsup2

Are you able to change rooms in the same cat after it has been assigned when you book gty? I know I was able to up-deck (2 to 7) but already had a room assignment (not gty). Just looking out for my fellow cruisers... On our cruise we have numerous cat 4 & 7 but not much anything else (9 & 10 are all gty).

No, you take what you get with a guarantee. If you pick a cabin in a category you can theoretically change it if something else opens up, but in a GTY you can't ...... (see the discussion in our Meets thread in which Brooklyn talked the the supervisor for 1/2 hour who basically told her, 'you takes what you gets')

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter