"Can Two Thrill Ride Junkies Love Disneyworld" - COMPLETED 4/24 Page 2

Discussion in 'Completed Trip Reports' started by cstorm65, Jun 17, 2011.

  1. cstorm65

    cstorm65 DDC #699

    Feb 6, 2011
    Chapter 7  Sunday Part A

    April&The bag just got really light.

    We were at the bus stop by 8:00 waiting for a bus to Animal Kingdom and one arrive at 8:05. After a pit stop at Blizzard Beach we arrived at Animal Kingdom at around 8:35. We were only in line for about 5 minutes when the turnstiles opened at 8:40. At 9:00 I made the long walk for an Everest FP. Well, the throng of people got there and&.the FP machines wouldnt work. A cast member ran around like a chicken with his head cut off for a few minutes before a manager of some sort showed up, hit a button the back room and they started spitting out FPs. I was not happy, but April was waiting for me by the entrance and we rode Everest with about a 5 minute wait. This ride was AWESOME! We love coasters and this one is really cool, especially the big drop.

    At 9:30 we ride the Safari stand by with a wait time of 10 minutes. Our driver was so much better today and I think there is truth to the tip of going on the Safari earlier in the day. It seemed to be a much better experience. Here are some of our pictures.



    The giraffes were certainly the highlight of our safari as we had to stop and wait for them to cross the road. This was really cool and just made me think: Where else can you have this experience but Disney World?




    After the Safari we stopped back by at 10:20 to pick up another Everest FP with a RT of 11:50. We then went down and rode Dinosaur with a 5 minute wait. April didnt love this ride, but I really enjoyed it. Again I am a science guy, love dinosaurs, and really love Jurassic park so this is right up my alley. It is a little rough, but a really cool experience to me. It was at this point after the ride that we headed over the watch the Nemo show. As we were walking I looked at April and said, April&The bag just got really light. We looked back and bottom had fallen out of our bag and all of our stuff was laying on the ground in Dinoland. We put the things back in the bag and I had to carry it from the bottom from then on so nothing would fall out. We would mess with finding a new one at Downtown Disney that night.

    Up Next: Is BBQ really that good at Disney World?
  2. Avatar

    Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

    to hide this advert.
  3. MissManda

    MissManda DIS Veteran

    Apr 22, 2011
    I haven't read it all, but I'm really enjoying your trip report. You and your wife remind me a lot of how DH and I spent our first visit to WDW. We even stayed a CBR on our first trip!

    I can especially appreciate your "adventure" to get park tickets your first night. That is so something that would happen to us. We had an interesting adventure ourselves on our last trip. We wanted to go to the ESPN restaurant to watch part of a Monday night football game (I made the mistake of planning a trip for opening weekend of football..yikes!). We asked the concierage at the resort (which was POFQ this trip) the best way to get there. They told us to go to Epcot and walk or take the boat to the boardwalk area. Well, we didn't spend a lot of time at Epcot our first trip and we weren't that familiar with it. We didn't realize how far you had to walk through Epcot to get to the boardwalk through the International Entrance. Eventually we got there and it was a nice night for a walk. It just took us a lot longer to get there than we thought it would. So, when we left ESPN Zone it was around 10:00 or so. DHS had extra magic hours that night and should have been open until 10:00. We saw that boats were still running around the lake. We asked the captain if we could still ride to DHS and then catch a bus to POFQ. He said "sure, no problem". So we got on the boat. When we got to DHS (about 15 - 20min later I guess) and walked up to the bus loading area. The place was deserted. There were no buses, there were no people. Nothing. And the boat was gone. Luckily a security person came by not long after we arrived. We told him that the boat had dropped us off and didn't think it would be a problem since DHS was open late. This guy informed us that the park actually emptied out pretty quickly that night (lucky us!). He had a call a bus for us and another couple that had happened to wander up as well. It was quite a night!

    DH is a huge thrill ride junkie (me not so much), but he just loves Disney World. I was surprised. I was actually afraid that he would find it too tame but he has the "Disney Fever" as I call it.

    We are going again this June (9-16) and are taking our niece and two nephews. I'm encouraged by your report that the weather wasn't too bad. last June. I hope that we have such good luck as well!
  4. cstorm65

    cstorm65 DDC #699

    Feb 6, 2011
    Thanks for reading along. Sounds like you had fun too with the Disney transport system. Thank goodness for that security guard though, he called a bus just for you all, that is one of the things I love about Disney. They have that way of making each person feel very important.

    June was great for us. It got a little crowded towards the 16th when we were going home, but we still had an awesome time. It is hot, but use the morning hours when it is cooler and spend the afternoons at the hotel and by the pool or in indoor attractions.

    By the way we went to ESPN club during our trip to catch something as well. I don't think I have gotten to that day in the report yet.
  5. cstorm65

    cstorm65 DDC #699

    Feb 6, 2011
    Chapter 7  Sunday Part B

    Is BBQ really that good at Disney World?

    After the bag incident we headed over to get our seat before the Finding Nemo Musical that started at 11:30. We got in line around 11:10 and got a great seat right in the middle of the auditorium.

    After Nemo we were heading to lunch at Flame Tree BBQ. I had read so many great reviews and we love our BBQ. I did stop at Dinosaur first and get a FP at 12:10, it had a return time of 12:50.

    Lunch at Flame Tree was excellent. It was a little hot on this day so eating outside was a little uncomfortable, a nice indoor seating area would be nice here, but the food was really good nonetheless. I had the pulled pork while April got the BBQ chicken platter. We traded some I believe so we both got to try each meal.

    We used our Dinosaur FP at 12:55 as we were making our counterclockwise loop back towards the exit. We then went over and did two back to back rides on Everest with FPs as we didnt want to have to walk back to this part of the park to use our final FP later. We absolutely love this roller coaster&Awesome! At around 1:45 I went searching for the egg rolls that are talked about at Yak and Yeti and the pork ones were excellent. A really nice little snack on this day. As I was eating my egg rolls we continued around the park and got in line at the Lion King Show at 2:00 before a 2:30 show. The line was already quite long so it was good that we showed up early. Here are some pictures of our show:



    We loved the Lion King Show. By far the best live show at Disney for us. We didnt feel the others, such as Nemo were bad by any means, but we loved the Lion King. April and I both sing and lead worship at our church in here in Oklahoma so we are familiar with music and performing. The Lion King show was unbelievable in this respect. The singers were very talented and as far as we can tell they were performing live, which we loved. Unlike when we go to a place like Six Flags where everything is taped vocally. That is cheating!!

    We made our way out of the park at about 3:10 and waited about 25 minutes for a bus to Caribbean Beach. By far our longest wait of the trip. I think every trip has at least one bad bus karma day and this was shaping up to be ours.

    Up Next: $8.50 for that? Really? It better be good!
  6. cstorm65

    cstorm65 DDC #699

    Feb 6, 2011
    Chapter 7  Sunday Part C

    $8.50 for that? Really? It better be good!

    We spent about an hour is all relaxing in the room before heading to Downtown Disney. The plan was for us to have dinner at Earl of Sandwich and then just shop for some souvenirs and hang out. We did have a mission to find a new park bag since the bottom fell out of ours in Animal Kingdom earlier that day. Little did we know the search at Downtown Disney would last forever!

    We got on a Downtown Disney bus at 5:15 after waiting only about 5 minutes. We went right to Earl of Sandwich so we could get there as early in the dinner rush as we could. We still had to sit at a table outside. It was fairly hot this day and I dont really like to eat outside when it is hot, but the food was excellent. All of the reviews were correct. Best value at Disney World. I think I had the Italian sandwich while April had her favorite, the BLT.



    For some reason I have no more pictures of our time at Downtown Disney. Dont know why? We then headed through many of the stores on our way to the main stop, World of Disney. We bought some souvenirs for us and others in our family.

    After shopping some we headed over to Ghiardellis for dessert and found all of the sundaes were $8.50. Wow, that was almost double the cost of my dinner at Earl of Sandwich. All I told April was it had better be good for $8.50, although how can you mess up ice cream, chocolate, and caramel. I think I got the peanut butter sundae and April had the butterscotch one. Yes these were really good, dont know if they were $8.50 good, but hey were at Disney, enjoy it!

    Now in the midst of all this we were still searching for a new park bag and were having no luck. As large as World of Disney is there was not a bag that was the correct size except one that I think cost like $85 for some reason. We walked all the way down by the movie theatre and stopped in every store looking for a bag, still not finding one. There were a couple of stores back up by Earls that we had missed so we decided to walk back up that way and check them out. Well, the last store that we had not been in, I think it is called Disney Trends had a bag that wasnt perfect, but April liked it and said she could use it once we got home as well. So we bought it. We were tired at this point from all of our shopping&.and eating&.that we forgot to even take a picture of the new bag.

    We went to the bus stop at 8:00 and waited about 30 minutes. Again, this was our bad bus karma day. Finally the bus came at about 8:30 and we went on to the next DD stop, but that is where they change drivers and our bus was making a switch. I have my CDL to drive a school bus so I know a pre-trip and post-trip inspection must take place, but I wish there was a way that it didnt have to take 15 minutes when they switch drivers. For those of you planning a trip the bus service to Downtown Disney is much sketchier than to the theme parks. We had very few waits of more than 10 minutes to get to a theme park during the week, but our one DD trip had a very long wait.

    We got back about 9:00, went to bed and got ready for a big rope drop on Monday.

    Up Next: The most anticipated ADR of the trip!
  7. cstorm65

    cstorm65 DDC #699

    Feb 6, 2011
    Just for the record, if anyone is still reading after 9 months, I am kicking the trip report into high gear. I should be done in the next few days. I finished writing the entire report yesterday as we are on spring break here so I have had to go to work at the school. Enjoy!

    Chapter 8  Monday

    The most anticipated ADR of the trip!

    Well with only two park days left we decided that today would be a fairly relaxing day as Tuesday was going to be pretty long. We were spending today at Epcot. We were going to be there for rope drop so that we could ride Soarin and Test Track, but we planned to leave the park after our 1:15 lunch reservation to just relax for the rest of the day. We got to the bus stop at 8:00 and a bus pulled up at 8:05. After making our way to the park and walking to the front gate it was about 8:25 when we got to a turnstile. I didnt write it down, but I think they started letting people inside around 8:50, at which point we went and got a spot right on the rope on the right side of Spaceship Earth.

    At 9:00 I joined the fray once again and was kind of worried about this rope drop dash since Soarin is kind of hard to get into being downstairs in The Land, but I managed to be the first person to a machine and secured a return time of 9:42 AM. We got in line at 9:05 AM and rode Soarin. I failed to write down how long we waited, but I know we arrived at Test Track at 9:30 AM, so it was probably around 18-20 minutes to ride. We did the single rider and walked onto the ride. When we got off we got a FP for Test Track for later. This was at 9:45 and we got a RT of 11:15 AM. At this point we were able to slow the pace a little and take some pictures.



    We also headed inside Innoventions at this point. I think we played the fire safety game. It was pretty cool. We really just looked around and wasted some time. At about 11:00 we headed over and had a snack at Sunshine Seasons since our lunch reservation wasnt until 1:15 PM. AT 11:20 we rode Soarin with our FP. We then made our way over at noon and used our Test Track FP.

    I love these two rides. Test Track is really cool how they put you through the actual driving tests. Also, the amount of detail at Soarin is great, although it would be nice to have an updated ride movie somewhere else.

    At 12:15 we went over and rode Spaceship Earth with a wait time of about 5 minutes. At 1:00 we went and checked in at the ADR we had been looking forward to ever since I snagged the reservation at the four month mark. Guess where? See if you can tell from the following picture right outside the entrance&&&..


    If you guessed Le Cellier. You are correct! We split the cheddar cheese soup appetizer and it definitely lived up to the reputation; especially when you eat it with the pretzel bread. I would highly recommend it as an appetizer. I ordered the New York Strip steak and it was excellent. April, who normally likes steak, just wanted a burger for some reason, but she talked about that burger for weeks. She loved it. It had some sort of BBQ element that I cant remember at this point, but I had a bite (or two!) and it was very good. We also shared a Crème Brule for dessert and again, we were not disappointed. Looking back Le Cellier was excellent. If I were on the dining plan thought I would definitely go at lunch for 1 credit. Im not sure it is worth the 2 credits for dinner though.

    After dinner I promptly suspended taking notes for the day. I guess I was just a little tired at this point. I know we just went back and relaxed at the resort, swam, had dinner in the food court, and I know for sure we watched IllumiNations from by the pool at CBR. You cant see everything, but it was a nice ending to the evening as we were able to just walk back to our room and get to bed about 9:30. Although I did suspend taking notes I decided to become a photographer at this point and get some pictures of our resort. I will leave you with those.


    Up Next: Finally, we get to use our ponchos.
  8. cstorm65

    cstorm65 DDC #699

    Feb 6, 2011
    Chapter 9  Tuesday Part A

    Finally, we get to use our ponchos.

    On our last park day we had made a small switch to our itinerary. We had already done most everything we wanted to at Magic Kingdom so we decided to switch to Hollywood Studios to get some more thrills rides in. We were skipping Toy Story this day and heading straight to RnR. We caught a bus to Hollywood Studios at 8:00 AM and after they opened the turnstiles we got a spot right on the rope to the right side.

    Here are a couple of pics from our spot:



    This is a very easy rope drop since 99.987% of everyone else was heading to Toy Story. We went and got RnR FP with a return time of 9:40. We then rode stand by with a wait time of about 5 minutes. I then rode Tower of Terror after waiting about 10 minutes. April did not want to ride with me as she is not a big fan of those drop rides. I am not either at say a Six Flags where everything is exposed, but ToT did not bother me any. In fact, I loved it. This ride was themed so well and the buildup was almost as good as the thrill rush itself.

    AT 9:40 we got another FP for RnR as that was our main mission for the day. We then rode RnR with our FP from earlier. At 10:40 we got in line for Voyage of the Little Mermaid. This is DWs favorite Disney movie from her childhood and still and so we wanted to get this done since we missed it on our other HS day. It was better than I expected and DW loved it, not surprisingly. At 11:15 we got a FP for Star Tours and then rode standby with a WT of 10 minutes.

    Then at 11:45 we headed into Backlot Express for some lunch. I had a burger and April had a chicken sandwich I think. Typical quick service meal as it was nothing special, but enjoyable as we got a table indoors out of the heat and humidity. Yes, we were finally feeling the Florida humidity and rain might be coming.

    At 12:20 we hurried over and got a seat for Beauty and the Beast, another one of DWs favorite movies. The show was at 12:45 and was really good. During the show the rain started and so we were very thankful that the show was done in a covered outdoor theatre. After the show though there was actually a little excitement that we finally get to use the ponchos. We had been carrying them all week and finally get to used them.

    With ponchos on, and camera put away so it wouldnt get wet&sorry!, we headed to use our FPs at RnR and ST. We enjoyed one last ride on each of these before saying goodbye to HS. The rain stopped as we were leaving the park and we went and caught a boat to the Beach Club for a visit to one of our must dos on this trip&.Beaches and Cream and to try and get some rest before our last night at Magic Kingdom and a surprise for April.

    Up Next: Can you really rest on your last day?
  9. cstorm65

    cstorm65 DDC #699

    Feb 6, 2011
    Chapter 9  Tuesday Part B

    Can you really rest on your last day?

    We got to the Beach Club at around 2:30 and had to find Beaches and Cream. We finally did and then decided on what kind of ice cream we wanted to go.


    I know we both got shakes, but cant remember what kind. We took them and found a table on the sidewalk overlooking the pool area at the Beach Club. It was a nice little bit of relaxing, but once those cold shakes were gone it got a little hot. We went in and found some nice big chairs in the Beach Club lobby to relax in for a while. I dont think we fell asleep, but the rest was sure nice. At about 3:30 I think we went over and explored the Boardwalk area a little bit and even went inside the ESPN Club and watched some TV and had an appetizer. Just a little bit more resting time. But we finally decided we couldnt rest on our last day at Disney so we went ahead about an hour before we had planned and found a bus to Magic Kingdom.

    Took this picture on the way to the Boardwalk:


    While on the bus to the Magic Kingdom we saw a family heading back from there that had two extra Buzz FPs that they gave us. This was just one of those little pieces of Disney Magic so thank you to whoever that was! We walked in and went right over and got a Space FP at 4:55 with a RT of 7:45 PM. There was another round of rain about to come through so we headed over the Mickeys Philharmagic to stay inside. What a great show that features some great Disney music and characters. We really enjoyed this one. When we came out it was still raining a little so we put on our ponchos and headed over and watched the Country Bears Jamboree. Then we headed over and rode Pirates with a 10 minute wait time. Then at 6:40 we rode Haunted Mansion one last time and waited about 20 minutes for that one. At 7:05 we headed over and pulled a FP for Splash Mountain. Then we were going to get some dinner and I was going to reveal the SURPRISE to April!

    Up Next: April&I cant believe I kept this secret, but&
  10. cstorm65

    cstorm65 DDC #699

    Feb 6, 2011
    Chapter 9  Tuesday Part C

    April&I cant believe I kept this secret, but&

    We headed over the Pecos Bills for dinner and this was maybe my favorite counter service meal of the trip. I love the fixins bar. The food is good and it is in the air conditioning as well which always helps. I think we split the pulled pork sandwich and fries. I convinced April to split a meal&or vice versa is how it usually works. Then it was time to reveal the surprise.

    The backstory: I had looked for a Dessert Party reservation after we booked the trip, but it was way before they open up those dates. I had the idea though to tell April I didnt get the reservation and until this night at Pecos Bills she still thought the same.

    The excitement on her face when I told her that we had a Dessert Party reservation at 9:00 was priceless. It was worth the entire trip just to see her expression at that moment. Brownie points for me!!!

    After dinner we headed over and caught the Hall of Presidents show and this was AWESOME. I dont know how anyone could sleep through this. I had goosebumps throughout a lot of the show. I wont mention which president I did fall asleep during, but for the rest of the show I was very interested. I would highly recommend this show to anyone who goes to this park. In my opinion it is a must do attraction.

    At 8:40 we used the Buzz FPs that were given to us and then I grabbed us a Space FP before heading to our Dessert Party reservation. At 9:05 we showed up for our reservation and helped ourselves to the buffet. This was a great experience that we will definitely do again. We jumped up about 9:50 and got a great spot right at the rail to watch Wishes. Here are some of the pictures of desserts, the parade from a distance, the castle, and the fireworks.



    After the fireworks we were down to our last couple of hours in the Magic Kingdom, but we were going to make it worthwhile. We rode the TTA at 10:25 and kind of let the MK clear out after the fireworks. At 10:55 it started to rain just a little again and we ended up riding Pirates one last time. At 11:10 I had to have one last Dole Whip as a farewell to Disney World and it was excellent again. At 11:25 we rode BTMRR walk on and were planning to use our Splash FP, but it was broken down. I guess we would have to take a trip back to ride Splash. We worked our way back around the park and used our Space FP and did some other things, but I didnt write much down. We had been up for about 17 hours at this point. At about 12:30 we left the park for the final time and after being up for almost 19 hours what did we do? We ran to catch the CBR bus that was waiting. We made it, but I think April beat me and told the driver to wait as I was dragging at that point. But all in all a great last day at Disney World.

    Up Next: Oh what a sad day&heading home.
  11. cstorm65

    cstorm65 DDC #699

    Feb 6, 2011
    Chapter 10 - Wednesday

    “Oh what a sad day…heading home.”

    We woke up on our departure day at about 9:00 and packed things up and got ready to head out. At about 10:45 we got on a bus to Epcot as we wanted to have a farewell monorail ride on our last morning as we had some time to kill. We rode the monorail to MK and got back to the CBR food court at about 12:30 and had some lunch. We caught the ME to the airport at about 2:15 and had a pretty un-eventful day traveling home. Flight to Denver and then back to Dallas. We did have to stop and get a hotel once landing in Dallas at 11:30 PM. We just were too tired to drive the 3 and a half hours back to Oklahoma City. So we actually drove in Thursday morning and then slept some more probably!

    Thanks for reading along. I will probably be starting a PTR soon. We are in the process of adopting a baby boy. He was born on April 3rd and so we are going to be planning a trip around next June and I am ready to get the planning underway. Is it too early to be planning 14 months out? I guess I just need something to look forward to.
    I will have one final post to share some of our favorites during this trip and the things we enjoyed the most.

    Chapter 11 – Wrap Up and Favorites

    “Can two thrill ride junkies love Disney World? – The Final Verdict”

    For the last entry I would like to share some of the things April and I liked the best throughout our time at Disney World. So without further delay, here we go:

    Favorite Attraction at Animal Kingdom
    1st – Jon (Expedition Everest), April (Kilimanjaro Safari)
    2nd – Jon (Kilimanjaro Safari), April (Expedition Everest)
    3rd – Jon and April (Festival of the Lion King)
    4th – Jon (Dinosaur), April (Finding Nemo)
    5th – Jon (Finding Nemo), April (Wildlife Express Train)

    Favorite Attraction at Hollywood Studios
    1st – Jon and April (Rock ‘n Roller Coaster)
    2nd – Jon (Tower of Terror), April (Voyage of the Little Mermaid)
    3rd – Jon and April (Star Tours)
    4th – Jon (Toy Story), April (Beauty and the Beast)
    5th – Jon (Beauty and the Beast), April (Toy Story)

    Favorite Attraction at Epcot
    1st – Jon and April (Test Track)
    2nd – Jon and April (Soarin’)
    3rd – Jon (Spaceship Earth), April (American Adventure)
    4th – Jon (Living with the Land), April (Nemo)
    5th – Jon (American Adventure), April (Spaceship Earth)

    Favorite Attraction at Magic Kingdom
    1st – Jon and April (Space Mountain)
    2nd – Jon (Splash Mountain), April (Big Thunder Mountain)
    3rd – Jon (Big Thunder Mountain), April (Mickey’s Philharmagic)
    4th – Jon and April (Hall of Presidents)
    5th – Jon (Haunted Mansion), April (Peter Pan)

    Best Non Ride Attraction in All Parks
    1st – Jon and April (Festival of the Lion King)
    2nd – Jon (Hall of Presidents), April (Voyage of the Little Mermaid)
    3rd – Jon (Mickey’s Philharmagic), April (Finding Nemo)
    4th – Jon (Beauty and the Beast), April (Mickey’s Philharmagic)
    5th – Jon (Finding Nemo), April (Hall of Presidents)

    Best Nighttime Show
    1st – Jon and April (Fantasmic!)
    2nd – Jon (IllumiNations), April (Wishes)
    3rd – Jon (Wishes), April (IllumiNations)

    Best Overall Attraction in All Parks
    1st – Jon (Expedition Everest), April (Rock ‘n Roller Coaster)
    2nd – Jon (Rock ‘n Roller Coaster), April (Kilimanjaro Safari)
    3rd – Jon (Space Mountain), April (Test Track)
    4th – Jon (Splash Mountain), April (Expedition Everest)
    5th – Jon (Test Track), April (Festival of the Lion King)

    Best Table Service Restaurant
    1st – Jon (Kona Café), April (Le Cellier)
    2nd – Jon (Le Cellier), April (Kona Café)
    3rd – Jon and April (Wishes Dessert party)
    4th – Jon (Hollywood and Vine), April (San Angel Inn)
    5th – Jon (San Angel Inn), April (Hollywood and Vine)

    Best Quick Service Restaurant
    1st – Jon (Earl of Sandwich), April (Old Port Royale Pizza Shop)
    2nd – Jon (Pecos Bills), April (Old Port Royal Deli)
    3rd – Jon (Flame Tree BBQ), April (Corn Dog – No Specific Place???)
    4th – Jon (Old Port Royale Deli), April (Earl of Sandwich)
    5th – Jon (Old Port Royale Pizza Shop), April (Flame Tree BBQ)

    Best Snacks/Desserts
    1st – Jon (Dole Whip), April (Napoleon at Bakery in France)
    2nd – Jon (Napoleon at Bakery in France), April (Sundae at Ghiardelli’s in DD)
    3rd – Jon (Egg Rolls at Yak and Yeti QS), April (Caribbean Jerk Chips at Food Court)
    4th – Jon (Caribbean Jerk Chips at Food Court), April (Dole Whip)
    5th – Jon (Sundae at Ghiardelli’s in DD), April (Shake at Beaches and Cream)

    The final verdict: Yes, Two thrill ride junkies can love Disney World. April and I had the most unbelievable vacation of our marriage and we will definitely be making a return trip, hopefully with children next time. Thanks for reading. We will be back!

    Follow this link to my PTR once it becomes active.

    June 2013 PTR

Share This Page