Can this vacation be salvaged??

Friends of mine just booked a trip to Disney for December 26- Jan. 3rd. They have both been a couple times before, but don't plan things and aren't the type to research things online. I tried explaining to them how that is the busiest week of the year, but they don't seem to truly get how it might affect their vacation. What can i do to help them so that they don't find themselves waiting 6 hours a day and have only been on 3 rides? Have any of you had friends/family like this?

ETA: They had a choice of the first week of December, the last week in January or the week that they chose(Dec. 26-Jan3rd). I told them either of the other two would be better, but they said " They want to go the week of Christmas/New years because they heard it is more fun that week than the other weeks"

Well first you are making the assumption that the vacation is wrecked.

Why do people here on the dis assume that people who don't do disney your way, i.e rope drop and ADR's are doomed to have a horrible vacation?

It's a pretty frustrating habit?

Listen, I've had people who have gone Christmas week, simply to look at the decorations. They come back glowing about the wonderful time they had.

Simply tell your friends about the crowds, suggest they make 1 ADR for a nice dinner.

I don't plan a schedule either and I rarely make adr's so I know it is totally possible to enjoy a disney vacation without either. I will totally admit I would never go Christmas or 4th of July. and I think rope drop is a collosial waste of time.
So I guess all my vacations have been unsalvagable also. :goodvibes

I don't think the OP meant offense.. but this whole thread has been a bit snarky to her.. kind of flamming her for something (which in my opinion she's right about.. but to each his own)...

Regardless of whether anyone agrees with OP or not.. I think the tone of this thread has been a bit negative to the poster...IMO. She has good intentions, and was ASKED for help and ignored. It's frustrating.

ITA. What about wanting to help people avoid long lines makes them arrogant? The OP is trying to be helpful, IMO.

ITA. What about wanting to help people avoid long lines makes them arrogant? The OP is trying to be helpful, IMO.

And so was I when I asked if this was their first or second trip. Just trying to be helpful. Show me where I said the original poster was arrogant.

But, I get called CREEPY for asking for clarification. See below:

I meant when they plan their second trip together, i can help them with that trip. They have both been before, when they were about 10 or 11ish with their families, not together. But thanks for trying to play detective and inspect every word i write... geez...creepy much....:rolleyes:

Did they ask for your help? If not, then who cares? It's their trip. Maybe it won't matter one bit to them to wait on lines and ride fewer rides. Maybe they'll be happy just being there.

It's quite arrogant for you to assume they'll be miserable and will only be happy with your help.

My goodness, I hope you never respond to one of my posts. :confused3

Calling the OP arrogant is unwarranted (and disrespectful) - in my opinion.

OP, it was very clear in your original post that you only want to help and want your friends to have the best time possible (which is very nice of you). As other posters suggested, I think your best bet is to get them a good guide book and refer them to sources such as this. If they don't want to take the advice, then you've done your best.

And so was I when I asked if this was their first or second trip. Just trying to be helpful. Show me where I said the original poster was arrogant.

But, I get called CREEPY for asking for clarification. See below:

You weren't asking for clarification. You were being sarcastic and in the way you said it, it was obvious you thought it was funny you had "caught" me in a lie or something. "Snarky" is a great word to describe your post.

Well, thank you to those who have been helpful on this thread. I think i am going to give them this website, and a few others and let them research on their own. Hopefully it will help them.

And i am always amazed at how a simple post, of how i just wanted to help my friends, always ends up with about half of the posters being completely unfriendly. Oh well... Thank you to those that were pleasant in your replies!:goodvibes

You weren't asking for clarification. You were being sarcastic and in the way you said it, it was obvious you thought it was funny you had "caught" me in a lie or something. "Snarky" is a great word to describe your post.

Which post was "snarky"? This one?:

I would just
goodbye%20farewell.jpg

wave goodbye.

Or, this one:

Wait a minute, hold the phone! I thought you said they'd been there before?

Or is it their second trip?

I'm curious, because I would not recommend going then on their first trip ever at this time.

But, still, just smile and wave, boys. Smile and wave. :)

Clearly, you have no sense of humor.

Which post was "snarky"? This one?:

Or, this one:

I was referring to the second post. But at this point it doesn't matter. I got the feedback i needed, and now have a better idea how to get some good planning information to my friends. I think it is safe to say this thread has run its course. :)

I guess just recommending you just smile and wave goodbye to them is a snarky way to behave, then??

Or was it saying, "I'm curious"?

Geeze. Only on the Dis would someone be attacked for trying to help someone else.

I understand that there are some people who tour the parks without a plan. And I understand that some people go at Christmas to just look around. But I am willing to bet the people who do both are a small minority of those who go to WDW. So why are we trying to beat down someone who suggests a plan?

OP--You can only make suggestions to your friends. If they don't follow them, and end up having a horrible vacation, at least you tried. But who knows, maybe they will have a good time no matter what happens. If they don't, they only have themselves to blame. Don't stress yourself out worrying about it. You can't force them to do things the way you think they should. Wether they enjoy themselves or not is totally on them.

Huh? Where does it say I was referring to you?

I don't think the OP meant offense.. but this whole thread has been a bit snarky to her.. kind of flamming her for something (which in my opinion she's right about.. but to each his own)...

Regardless of whether anyone agrees with OP or not.. I think the tone of this thread has been a bit negative to the poster...IMO. She has good intentions, and was ASKED for help and ignored. It's frustrating.

I would just let them know what the Christmas happenings start at Thanksgiving so the could go the first week of December with a small fraction of the crowds.

I would also give them the closure stages so they are aware of them.

If they ask again just tell them you have a different touring style than them so your advice only is for avoiding crowds and waiting as little as possilble and given when they are going that is not possible but have fun. Maybe bring a book to read in line. 600 pages plus.

Denise in MI

Denise in MI

Huh? Where does it say I was referring to you?

Doesn't "ITA" mean "I totally agree"? Didn't you quote jenniferma, who quoted me, and then "totally agree" with her?

I do take offense at the original poster calling me creepy. Whether or not she's arrogant is not my concern. I posted a light-hearted picture. Then I re-read the thread, and asked for clarification, because I didn't understand something.

Even then, I tried to keep it light-hearted, by recommending she "smile and wave". :confused3

jenniferma said that she didn't think the original poster tried to offend me, and I thought you "totally agreed". If you don't think that she tried to offend me, I disagree.

She said I was snarky and sarcastic. She did try to offend me, when I only asked a question, and I am offended.

Why all the name calling?:confused3 I don't think anybody did anything to be called arrogant or creepy! OP - Good luck to your friends, it's a tough week to go but I'm sure they can make it work!

Our friends went Christmas week a few years back. We had already been 2-3x (other times of year) and had read a lot about Christmas week and knew about the crowds. I politely told them about that, but they were limited by their kids' schedules. So I gave them as much advice as I could - get there early, take advantage of FastPasses, be patient, etc. When they got back, they said that they DID have a good time. However, I asked them if they'd go back at Christmas and they said NO. Luckily it didn't scare them off and they do want to go back in a few years!

You've been a good friend to give them advice. If they don't mind crowds, then maybe they will be ok. Think about all the people who DO go to WDW year after year during Christmas. Some people just thrive in that atmosphere.

Now here's another spin you could possibly take, if you feel it's worth exploring. You mentioned one of them losing their job. I'm wondering how much of a premium they have paid for going the busiest week of the year. And if they changed their dates, they would end up with a credit and would make their trip MUCH more budget-friendly. I'm not sure how WDW works that, as we've never changed our dates.

Our friends went Christmas week a few years back. We had already been 2-3x (other times of year) and had read a lot about Christmas week and knew about the crowds. I politely told them about that, but they were limited by their kids' schedules. So I gave them as much advice as I could - get there early, take advantage of FastPasses, be patient, etc. When they got back, they said that they DID have a good time. However, I asked them if they'd go back at Christmas and they said NO. Luckily it didn't scare them off and they do want to go back in a few years!

You've been a good friend to give them advice. If they don't mind crowds, then maybe they will be ok. Think about all the people who DO go to WDW year after year during Christmas. Some people just thrive in that atmosphere.

Now here's another spin you could possibly take, if you feel it's worth exploring. You mentioned one of them losing their job. I'm wondering how much of a premium they have paid for going the busiest week of the year. And if they changed their dates, they would end up with a credit and would make their trip MUCH more budget-friendly. I'm not sure how WDW works that, as we've never changed our dates.

ITA! (note the snarky, arrogant font...)

I agree with the PP who said to send them pictures of the Christmas crowds, and the info about the stages of closings. popcorn::

You've done what you can. I have people ask advice all the time, go on their trip and then come back saying, "I should have listened to you. I thought you were exagerating about the crowds."

I am somewhere in the middle between planning and not planning. I know where I am going each day by looking at things like EMH, Fantasmic, busiest days at each park etc.....but that's about where it ends. I am not a fan of ADRs but make maybe 1/trip. I agree with your friends that I don't like to be tied to a time to eat. (What if I'm having fun at the complete opposite end of the park? I always feel like I'm watching the clock.) I also agree with other posters about giving them the info about park closings due to crowds. I've been on a trip when it was hot, I was pregnant, didn't do a whole lot and had a really fun time. Christmas at WDW has so much to offer without even going on a single ride.

I just recently had some friends go to WDW who asked advice and didn't use it. They had absolutely NO plans. Whatever bus showed up first is where they went that day. They didn't read any guide books and had no ADRs. DId they miss stuff? I'm sure they did, but THEY didn't know it and still had a GREAT time!

Your friends haven't been to WDW in probably over 10 years (Guessing on that because you said they went when they were young). SO MUCH HAS CHANGED! They couldn't possibly know what Disney is all about if they went when they were young and with their families. At that age you just go with what your parents do. Your friends will be fine. They will be at WDW at Christmas! How fun! Yes, crowded, but still fun.:santa:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter