Can they really do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beejie

Mouseketeer
Hi gang! My DS 10 was invited with his entire 4th grade class to a birthday pool party at the Beach Club Resort at Disney on 4/28. We live 90 minutes away so I'm shocked that the parents would ask people to drive this far for a two hour party when the average price of gas in our county hovers near $3 a gallon.

Anyway, can you stay at a resort and invite 20 families to come and join you for a party at the pool? Just curious.

It breaks my heart that we can't go because its the only way I could probably afford to visit the Beach Club, but we have Cub Scout plans that day that are free and local.

One of my coworkers has a daughter that was invited to a pool party at the Beach Club. These are people who have a lot of money, so I imagine it cost a pretty penny to set the party up. But if you're willing to pay, I guess there's not much off limits at Disney. But in this case, most of the people attending the party ended up spending the night at the BC as well, so technically they would have been resort guests.

I think it's a bit extravagant to plan that kind of party so far away. I hope they have an RSVP list so they know who's going to show up. That would be an expensive party to have only one or two guests show up.

I'm going to call with my regrets tonight and ask them how they arranged it.

I wish I could go, but I have to be at the Cub Scout thing that day. I'm a den leader.

We live 90 minutes away so I'm shocked that the parents would ask people to drive this far for a two hour party when the average price of gas in our county hovers near $3 a gallon.

This sounds like a way over the top party for a 10 year old and it is absurd that the hosts expect families to provide their own transportation.

A Cub Scout activity would be a far better use of your son's time.

Hi gang! My DS 10 was invited with his entire 4th grade class to a birthday pool party at the Beach Club Resort at Disney on 4/28. We live 90 minutes away so I'm shocked that the parents would ask people to drive this far for a two hour party when the average price of gas in our county hovers near $3 a gallon.

It sounds like a great party for the kids who can make it.

90 minutes is what - 90 miles? 180 miles round trip, at 20 miles per gallon, is 9 gallons of gas, which would cost $27. I'm not sure what is so shocking about that.

90 minutes is what - 90 miles? 180 miles round trip, at 20 miles per gallon, is 9 gallons of gas, which would cost $27. I'm not sure what is so shocking about that.

:sad2:
Way too over the top for a 10 year olds birthday party.

Wow. I'm feeling bad asking parents to drive 20 minutes to my dd's bday party!!! That is a really long drive to get to a party!!!

Sounds like a nice party. My guess is those guests who go will wind up spending the rest of the day in a theme park. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those guests have Florida resident season passes.

I didn't realize Beach Club did birthday parties but I guess for enough $$ Disney will book almost anything.

It's nice the entire class was invited. You have other plans and can't go. If you didn't have other plans you could probably have car pooled with another family and cut the gas expense in half. If money is so tight that $10 of gas is an issue then buying a gift might also be a problem.

Are you sure the parents aren't planning to have designated drivers or limo service to transport the guests? Judging from what they must be paying to have the party at the BC, perhaps transportation is part of their plan. Even if you couldn't attend, perhaps your child still could.:confused3

Are you sure the parents aren't planning to have designated drivers or limo service to transport the guests? Judging from what they must be paying to have the party at the BC, perhaps transportation is part of their plan. Even if you couldn't attend, perhaps your child still could.:confused3

GREAT POINT. Maybe the child can go with another family.

If I lived that close and had a child invited to this party I would jump at the chance. The Beach Club is such a great place. I would drop the child off and if the adults are not invited to stay i would check out the hotel and maybe get something to eat. It would be wonderful for a party.

I guess 90 minutes is a bit of a drive but I guess it also depends on how much you like driving. We live in NJ and drive 2 days to go to WDW. I used to commute to NYC every day and that generally took over 90 minutes each way every day. If I lived 90 minutes away Ifrom WDW I would be there every weekend. My dad lives in Queens about 50 miles away from us and between NJ and NY traffic sometimes it takes more then two hours to get there.

Linda

:sad2:
Way too over the top for a 10 year olds birthday party.

I hardly see a pool party (even though it is in Disney World, since the people live in Florida) being "way too over the top," but to each his own, I guess.

I would probably go too. But I do think 30 bucks in gas would be outrageous for a day trip too. But I would spend it for a trip like that. But those saying she is crazy for not wanting to are a bit rude. $30 is alot for some people. And then to buy a gift on top of that as well. You are looking at a $50 day and then you will most likely get food while you out, etc. It can be a pricey day, and some just don't have the money to throw around like that.
I would ask about car pooling or transportation, because I do find it weird they would have something in mind.

Good for you, Beejie. It's nice to know there are other parents who don't let their kids skip a Cub Scout activity just because there's a more unique offer going on. Expensive gas or not, 90 minutes seems a long drive to expect people to drive their kids (even theirs and someone else's) to a b'day party - even if it IS at WDW. Could they not find a pool or...gosh, I don't know - maybe even a BEACH - somewhere closer to home? I'm sure it's very generous of the family to offer this party, but it seems a bit much. Perhaps they're DVC members or something like that. Stick to the Scout activity and maybe the birthday child can come over to play sometime (or if it's a boy, invite him to Scouts)!

Thank you for all your responses. I wanted to clarify why we're not going.

1. DS 10 is not friends with this girl. He only has 1 really good friend and kids from Scouts who are friends with him, but he is an awkward ADHD+ (we're still working out what the + is) kid who doesn't make friends easily because he's unusual. He is teased constantly by his classmates who try to get him angry to get him in trouble, etc. He is the child that remembers daddy slapping mommy and all the emotional turmoil of our family situation and the divorce. DS 6 was 10 months old and DD 8 was 2 when I left a nasty situation.

2. My other 2 kids (DS 6 and DD 8) are not invited and I would need to make alternative arrangements for them with my parents, who are not available. They are already taking DS 6 and DD 8 for me this weekend.

3. I'm a single mom and while I would normally have the money to make such a trip, I've been making monthly payments on our own trip to Disney Labor Day weekend (our first family vacation since the divorce 4 years ago). I am also taking DD to Kennedy Space Center this weekend to attend Salute to Girl Scouts. That means a 2+ hour drive, hotel room, tickets, and food. My entertainment/travel budget for April is shot. I also have to sign the kids up for summer daycare tonight which is a $150 deposit.

4. The invitation only included a map with driving directions. No mention of carpooling. I've never met these parents and I suspect that the birthday girl involved is in daycare with my DS and isn't very nice to him.

5. What surprised me was that the parents would ask people to drive that far. I could understand driving the 30 minutes maybe to reach the nearest Chucky Cheeses or to the Homosassa Wildlife Park which is 15 minutes away, but most birthday parties around here are local (bowling, roller skating, park)

6. Trust me. I WANT to go, but have already made plans that I can include all 3 kids with and they are plans that are within my budget. What I was questioning was would they be allowed to invite all those people to come to the pool or does the Beach Club offer parties like that?

Thanks. Beejie

I don't think $27 or even $50 is a big deal. I wouldn't go simply because I'm not driving my kid 90 minutes to a birthday party.

That clears things up alot. Especially if your child is not friends with the birthday child - whole other story. You sound like you are doing a wonderul job and I was looking at it as another excuse to visit my favorite place in the world. Anyway, stick with your plans and have a wonderful vacation in WDW Labor Day weekend.

Linda

I hardly see a pool party (even though it is in Disney World, since the people live in Florida) being "way too over the top," but to each his own, I guess.

Families have regular pool parties for their children every day. A "pool party" is not way too over the top - a pool party at the Beach Club Resort for a 10 year old is way too over the top. You can have a pool party at the local pool here for around $125.00, I don't think that will even come close to what this one will come to.

Our nearest "Build-a-Bear" is 2 and a half hours away...several kids at the school where I teach have their parties there!

But, no, I don't think I would drive my child 90 minutes for a party. "Maybe" if I was planning on spending some extra time there as a family, but otherwise, no.

I would be a nosey parent and call the Beach Club and inquiry about the party details. I know storm-along-bay is for Beach and Yacht club guests ONLY and they give out wrist bands to people showing their keys. I know some hotels do this, but there is a part of me that isn't sure about a Disney/DVC doing this (annoy the guests?)

I love storm-along-bay by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter