Can someone help me make a decision??? Niagra Falls related

coinkc

<font color=red>You can find some hot dates at Six
My 18 year old and I will be travelling to Montreal in July for a dance competition. I am considering renting a car and driving the 6 hours to see Niagara Falls while we are there. Any thoughts or opinions?

Anyone drove that route that can give any insight? Other than see the falls and maybe take a boat tour, what else is there to do? We would really only have 2 half days as we would then drive to Buffalo to fly home. (We are going to fly directly into Montreal so she isn't spending the entire day before she dances travelling...)

Do you think going to see Niagra Falls is worth the hassle of renting a car and driving? We would also have to cross the border with the rental car - not sure if that is a big deal or not.

We have been debating this decision forever and need to buy airfare soon! I don't know if it's something we should definitely do or something not worth the time and effort. Would appreciate any info or opinions anybody can give. Thanks!

According to what I have found online, the driving distance is 415 miles. I have found estimates of up to 7 1/2 hours for the drive. I am a non-driver, so I am going to pass on giving any opinions as to the routes you could take. Please be aware that you would be travelling in a fairly populous part of the country, and driving through one of our larger cities on the way. It is not what I would call a scenic or leisurely drive.

I lve in Hamilton and have never been to Montreal so cant inform you on the drive myself, but others I know have driven it and it may be a long drive but I think it would be worth seeing the falls,there are museums and lots to see and do. check out trip advisor and it may give you some info to help, If you do go and stay overnight in the falls I recomend staying at the marriot fallsview and ask for a room on higher floors and with floor to ceiling window overlooking the american and canadian falls, Its awesome we stay there every year and love it!:thumbsup2

Personally, I would not drive 6 hours to see Niagara Falls. What if it's rainy or the weather is really crappy for driving? That seems way too stressful to me. Why not plan something fun to do in Montreal and just fly in and out of the same city?

definately not a 6 hour drive. Now add it travel throught Toronto, with half or our roads reduced due to repairs and upgrades ( thank you PanAm games)

i say it would be closer to 9 hours.

Maid of the Mist boat ride to see the falls is now only available from the US side

Nice to see the falls, but to drive from Montreal to see them - I would pass on it

It would be like flying into Cincinnati, OH to see them

If you are flying home from Buffalo, then definitely visit Niagara Falls. I live four hours from Montreal and two hours from Niagara Falls, that's 6 hours without making a stop, which you would definitely need along the way.

If you simply want to drive through Toronto towards Niagara, without stopping to see anything, you can take the Don Valley Parkway, through to the Gardiner and out by way of the Q.E.W.. Along the way you will drive very close by the C.N. tower and Rogers Center (Skydome) and along the waterfront.

I would not suggest this. While Niagara Falls is neat to see, I would not combine it with a Montreal trip unless you planned on staying a couple of days in Niagara Falls to make it worth your while. The 9 hours (realistically) on the road is just not worth it. There is so much to see and do in Montreal, spend your time there. If you do want to see more of our lovely country, spend some time in Ottawa. Its much closer and still lots to see and experience. Have a great trip.

Maid of the Mist boat ride to see the falls is now only available from the US side

There's anew company now for the Canadian side. The niagara parks commision a couple of years ago had companies bid on the contrat Disney Cruise lIne was apparently one of the bidders. A company based out of the US called Hornblower cruises ended up winning the bid they actually now have a Canadian division of the company and are currently working to get ready for operation soon. http://www.niagaracruises.com/ As of right now they only show tickets avalble satring in June posably do to the wether anthe need to test the new boats.

There's a lot for you to see between Montreal and Niagara Falls. If you're taking 2 days to see NF, why not check out Toronto as well? Go to the CN Tower, the Eaton Centre, Centre Island, Canada's Wonderland?
Go to Niagara on the Lake, very pretty village 15 mins or less from Niagara Falls. You shouldn't have any problems with your rental car crossing the border.
Deals: http://www.wagjag.com/deal/niagara-falls
Have fun!

Niagara Falls is a lot of fun, and worth a visit sometime, but it is a long drive and I think you will have more problems with the car than you think. I am not aware of any rental companies that allow a one-way out of country (aside from U-Haul that is; they have a North American wide fleet). If there is an agency that will allow it, I'll bet the one-way fees will be astronomical! Check that out carefully before you make your reservations.

It is a fairly straight drive from Montreal to Niagara Falls on 400 series (i.e. Interstate) highways the whole way. You could detour through downtown Toronto as a previous poster mentions, but avoid that if you are hitting anywhere near morning or evening rush. Toronto is one of our worst cities for rush hour (Vancouver may be worse). I would suggest that you take the 407 around the mess if it's rush hour(s), but that is a toll by plate highway, so make sure that you won't get hit with a huge surcharge on your rental if you go that way.

I would suggest AVOIDING the Gardner. Right now it is reduced to two lanes each way, and will be until Dec 2016 apparently.

When I have visitors from a long way away, we do always make the time to take the 4 hour trip to see Niagara Falls. It is a must-do and a fun city to visit.

Whether your drive would be worth it is something for you to consider. On the drive down, you would pass through Ottawa, the Thousand Islands region (LOVE that place!), Prince Edward County (a charming place that's a really easy detrout off the highway), and Toronto.

Another option closer to Montreal would be a visit to Quebec City. Such a beautiful place!

Thanks everyone for your opinions!

I just booked round trip tickets to Montreal. This way we can just spend some time visiting there and not have to worry about renting a car, a long drive, etc. It sounds like there is plenty to do there!

We'll have to make plans to see Niagara Falls on another trip. :)

I live about an hour from Niagara Falls and have driven from my house to and through Montreal a few times. VERY boring drive. Realistically it would be around 9hrs from Montreal to Niagara Falls. It could be longer as it can take a good 2 hours to get from Ajax to Etobicoke due to traffic. While the technical rush hour is bad you can find bumper to bumper traffic any day or time.

Would I make that drive just to see the falls? Probably not....but I see the falls a few times every year so it's just no big deal any more. Yes, there are lots of things to do around the falls but be aware that everything is expensive.

I think I would be more inclined to spend the free time enjoying Montreal. It's a fantastic city.

Thanks everyone for your opinions! I just booked round trip tickets to Montreal. This way we can just spend some time visiting there and not have to worry about renting a car, a long drive, etc. It sounds like there is plenty to do there! We'll have to make plans to see Niagra Falls on another trip. :)

You have definitely made the better decision. Montreal is a beautiful world class city with plenty to see and do. Check out Old Montreal; the Biodome at the site of the 1976 Olympic Summer games; Notre Dame Basilica (Celine Dion was married there); and so much more.

To be blunt and honest, Niagara Falls is NOT worth the trip.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

DH and I are taking the train from Toronto to Montreal in June for our 15th Anniversary getaway. We are really looking forward to it!!! I'll scout it out for you! LOL

While Niagara Falls is spectacular and unique, there is another spectacular waterfall that is closer to Montreal. Montmorency Falls near Quebec City is actually taller than Niagara Falls.
falls-at-night.jpg

http://www.bonjourquebec.com/us-en/attractions-directory/municipal-and-regional-park-nature-interpretation-centre/parc-de-la-chute-montmorency_3197018.html

Quebec City is a unique tourist destination. The fortifications around the old city still exist -- walled cities are rare in North America. The old city is very tourist friendly, with lots of English services. The architecture is amazing -- imagine the Epcot's Canada, UK and France all merged on a larger scale. The walls of Old Quebec are 4.7 km / 2.9 miles, which is about the same size as Epcot's World Showcase. (Epcot's walking path is a loop on the inside, while Quebec's is a loop on the outside plus city streets within.)
Quebec%20City%20historic%20fortified%20wall%20at%20dusk.jpg

http://www.quebecregion.com/en/photos-and-videos/old-quebec/

And while I would not condone corruption of youth, if you want to bond with your daughter over an adult beverage, the legal drinking age in Quebec (including Montreal and Quebec City) is 18. In Ontario (Niagara Falls), it is age 19.

And while I would not condone corruption of youth, if you want to bond with your daughter over an adult beverage, the legal drinking age in Quebec (including Montreal and Quebec City) is 18. In Ontario (Niagara Falls), it is age 19.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the info everyone! We are going to just stay in Montreal and areas around there. We'll have to make another trip some day to see Niagara Falls (and I apologize for my spelling typo in the title! I don't know how to change it or I would!)

This is too funny that you mentioned this - she will be one week past her
18th birthday and I'm sure will be very intrigued by this little piece of info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter