can someone explain this to me

poohangel

DIS Veteran
Chase Disney Visa says book a package with disney and you get 6 months interest free. Correct? Well we charged two rooms and it should have been interest free till august 2010. I paid off the entire bill except the $400.00 that disney charged for my deposit, when I received my bill there is $13.00 interest fees on it. I called Chase and they told me due to the new laws that the entire amount had to be paid (including the 400 deposit) in full so not to incure the fee. He also said that the package was interest free.

How can it be interest free for 6 months if I have to pay the entire bill?

Am I missing something here?

Chase Disney Visa says book a package with disney and you get 6 months interest free. Correct? Well we charged two rooms and it should have been interest free till august 2010. I paid off the entire bill except the $400.00 that disney charged for my deposit, when I received my bill there is $13.00 interest fees on it. I called Chase and they told me due to the new laws that the entire amount had to be paid (including the 400 deposit) in full so not to incure the fee. He also said that the package was interest free.

Maybe by a technicality the $400 deposit does not count as part of the package and that is what you were charged interest on :confused3 I would call back and ask to speak with a manager/supervisor to get a straight answer.

Did you have anything else on the bill? I don't understand it at all, but I've heard there are odd things that happen when you have "other stuff" and the interest-free charges on the bill....

Yes I had the regular purchases and then the 400 deposit. I paid all of it except the deposit. The deposit is part of the promotion because it says it on the bottom of the statement.

I am just very confused about this. I have charged a couple of trips on this card and this is the first time I have had any problems.

I might as well just charge it to my regular card and forget about the disney visa card.

Did you charge just 2 rooms or complete packages with tickets and such?? If it is just the rooms than it is not interest free. You have to make it the complete package with tickets as well.

Did you charge just 2 rooms or complete packages with tickets and such?? If it is just the rooms than it is not interest free. You have to make it the complete package with tickets as well.

If not this, most credit cards do not apply a payment to a particular charge on your card.. meaning if you had the $400 deposit + other charges a payment made would go towards everything on the card, not just the interest items.

I have heard that they will apply payment to your packages before they do other charges. There for you are charged interst because they paid off your package leaving $400 in other charges still on the card.

I do agree since you were not satisfied with your original answer, call again and if you are not satisfied ask to speak to a manager.

I have heard that they will apply payment to your packages before they do other charges. There for you are charged interst because they paid off your package leaving $400 in other charges still on the card.

I do agree since you were not satisfied with your original answer, call again and if you are not satisfied ask to speak to a manager.

Yes, I believe this is suppose to change with the new legislation, but CC companies typically pay off the lowest interest items first, therefore if there were other purchases, that is what you are being charged interest on.

I've heard the same thing:

That any payments that are made are applied to the lowest interest items first. Therefore, if there are any other charges on the card at all, the trip must be entirely paid off, or you will end up paying monthly interest anyway.

The only way the trip is actually "interest free" for six months is if it remains the only charge on the card, during that entire period. In this case, you can pay only the minimum required payment during the interest free period.

Yes, I believe this is suppose to change with the new legislation, but CC companies typically pay off the lowest interest items first, therefore if there were other purchases, that is what you are being charged interest on.

This changed in February under the new Federal law whereby they are required to apply all payments starting with the highest interest rate first.

I've heard the same thing:

That any payments that are made are applied to the lowest interest items first. Therefore, if there are any other charges on the card at all, the trip must be entirely paid off, or you will end up paying monthly interest anyway.

The only way the trip is actually "interest free" for six months is if it remains the only charge on the card, during that entire period. In this case, you can pay only the minimum required payment during the interest free period.

You are correct. If you are using the Disney Visa for trips to get 6 months interest free- do NOT charge anything else on it and make suer it is 0 balance before you do put the trip on it. DH charged gas on it right after I booked a deposit on a Disney cruise for next year so I had to pay all on the next statement or get charged interest, aarrgghh!!!

You are correct. If you are using the Disney Visa for trips to get 6 months interest free- do NOT charge anything else on it and make suer it is 0 balance before you do put the trip on it. DH charged gas on it right after I booked a deposit on a Disney cruise for next year so I had to pay all on the next statement or get charged interest, aarrgghh!!!

Honestly this has never happened to me. I have booked bounceback packages on my Disney Visa card for 3 years in a row and have def had charges on the card when I booked and after. When booking a package I've never had to pay interest on the deposits or payments on the trip.
I think the OP needs to call back and get it straightened out. Chase is prob trying to get away with charges but the OP was quick to catch it. Hopefully it will work out.

I've been having trouble with my Disney Visa lately too. For the past three months, I have made charges and paid for all the charges before the due date. I'm being charged interest. It is only a couple of dollars, but if this is going to keep occuring I will have to stop using this card. I don't have a promotional balance on my card. I have been meaning to call them to discuss.

This happened to us too in the past my DH has had to call them each and every month to get them to fix it.

anytime you have a promo, call up and tell them exactly where you want that payment to go to.

Now say you're at the end of that 6 months, and there's a 200$ balance left on the promo. Want to pay it off, but there's other charges and you won't be paying in full.

Statement - 400$
- Promo - 200$ with 50$ of interest acrued.
Min payment - 25$

You send in a payment for 200$. They will put 25$ towards the min payment, and 175$ towards the interest portion.

You have to send in 225$, 25 to cover the min payment and tell them, to place the 200 towards the promo. So they don't knock you the following month with the acrued interest.

I've always made it habit to call and tell them how to apply my payment if i wanted something specific to be paid off on the bill. It saves the frustration, and if you wind up with a dud of a CS person, just call back.

If you are using the Disney Visa for trips to get 6 months interest free- do NOT charge anything else on it and make suer it is 0 balance before you do put the trip on it. DH charged gas on it right after I booked a deposit on a Disney cruise for next year so I had to pay all on the next statement or get charged interest, aarrgghh!!!

I have heard that some cards apply the payment to whatever has the lowest interest rate first, but we have put our Disney trip on our card every year and it has never worked like that.

I charge everything to the card so we can accumulate as many rewards dollars as possible for our trip. With the promotional charge on there, I always pay in full the charges I made that month and then an extra few hundred dollars to go toward the promotional package. I have never paid any interest on anything on that card. :confused3

I have heard that some cards apply the payment to whatever has the lowest interest rate first, but we have put our Disney trip on our card every year and it has never worked like that.

I charge everything to the card so we can accumulate as many rewards dollars as possible for our trip. With the promotional charge on there, I always pay in full the charges I made that month and then an extra few hundred dollars to go toward the promotional package. I have never paid any interest on anything on that card. :confused3
We do the same thing. I think the problem the OP is experiencing has to do with carrying a balance.

Here's what happened to me and it may have happened to you too without you realizing it.

Scenario (numbers are fictitous because I honestly can't remember them)

Month 1
$1000-charged for Disney vacation with 0 interest for 6 months
2000-other non-Disney charges
------
$3000-balance
-2200-payment ($2000 balance plus $200 towards the Disney 0 interest)
------
800-Disney 0 interest balance

Month 2
$ 800-Disney balance
2000-other non-Disney charges
-------
2800-balance
- 1800-payment **
-------
1000-balance ($800 Disney 0 interest and $200 regular)

**On the statement it shows the original 0 interest amount ($1000) and in another column it shows the current 0 interest balance ($800). When my statement came for month 2 I looked at the full balance on the bill ($2800) and inadvertantly subtracted the $1000 instead of the $800 leaving a $200 balance on my card that wasn't paid. This caused an interest charge of something like $16.00. The next month I also got charged interest because you have to pay the balance in full for two months in a row before you are back to no interest again.

My problem was that sometimes I pay extra to reduce my 0% interest balance and sometimes I don't, depending on the extra income we have that month. Check to see if this happened to you. I really wish they wouldn't put the original amount of the 0% on your bill, just the current 0% balance.

Ok, here is what happened. I finally got it straightened out. I called back and got a very nice person this time. She actually looked into the matter instead of getting mad that I was questioning the charge. Two bills ago I paid my entire bill including the promotional deposits without realizing I had paid the deposits. The next bill paid it all, the next paid all except deposits. Since I had already paid the deposits I got a finance charge and it was my fault.

So everything is A ok now.

Have you done this since February, when the laws changed and so did credit cards?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter