Can Someone Explain MCO to me

Alderbrook

DIS Veteran
Last time I flew into MCO was 13 years ago & I really don't remember it. My dad does & said the airport was a pain in the butt. We flew from Toronto & my dad remembers getting off the plane, having to get our luggage which we put on a conveyor belt, then boarded a train (kind of like a monorail) that took us to another terminal had to do security 2x, customs & then had to get our luggage again. It took us forever to get out of the airport.

This time we're flying from Buffalo with AirTran so we won't have to do customs, but is all this rigamaroll still involved?

Orlando airport is a little confusing because when you leave the aircraft you take a shuttle (like the monorail) to the main building.

If you are staying on property at Walt Disney World you can use Disney's Magical Express. Say goodbye to your luggage in Buffalo and hello to it at your resort.

Here is a link to some maps...

http://www.orlandoairports.net/ops/term.htm

Make yourself familiar with the maps and it's not a bad airport at all. Just make sure when you are going home that you have the correct gate and take the correct shuttle.

We are doing ME but are getting our luggage, there's things in our checked bags we want. Do you have to get your luggage 2x then?

The last time you flew into MCO you flew an airline that required you to clear Customs in Orlando and not in Toronto, which is why you needed to pick up your checked bags twice and go threw security a second time. When Canada 3000 was still in business when we flew with them from Toronto - Orlando we had to clear Customs in Orlando and all the extra fun things that came with doing that. However if you were to fly either Air Canada or WestJet from Toronto - Orlando you would pre-clear US Customs in Toronto and when you land in Orlando you walk right off the plane to baggage claim or to the Magical Express check-in counter, if you signed up for it. So they would treat it like any other domestic flights from the United States that arrives in Orlando.

Ok so because I'm flying domestic I'm basically going to get off the plane, get on a shuttle, head to baggage claim, get my bags & head to ME check in? I would love to have ME get my luggage & my parents (there's 5 of us) but I'm terrified of my bags getting lost. My GF had it happen to her in Vegas & we were all freaking out. If I was freaking out as bad as I was & it wasn't my luggage I can't imagine what I'd be like if it were mine :)

Ok so because I'm flying domestic I'm basically going to get off the plane, get on a shuttle, head to baggage claim, get my bags & head to ME check in? I would love to have ME get my luggage & my parents (there's 5 of us) but I'm terrified of my bags getting lost. My GF had it happen to her in Vegas & we were all freaking out. If I was freaking out as bad as I was & it wasn't my luggage I can't imagine what I'd be like if it were mine :)
Yes that is correct.

We flew out of Buffalo 2 years ago to MCO with the five of us. I thought they would lose our luggage. I thought there is no way they would get all of our pieces from Buffalo to our resort. I must say that all pieces showed up at our resort about 3 hours after we arrived. It is an amazing service. Just bring your essentials in your carry-ons. They really know what they are doing. Disney is like no other! Just put on your yellow tags and they will be delivered to your door. Then you just get off the plane, get on the shuttle and follow the people with the Mickey hands. You get into line and check in and then wait in line for your bus to take you to your resort. Sit back and enjoy your ride.

For me, 3 hours is ridiculous to not have your bags. We're not doing Disney the day we get there & I want my stuff. I like to be able to have a shower when I get into the room after travelling all day & not being able to take shampoo, conditioner, shaving cream or other likes in my carry-on doesn't sit well with me. We want to be able to go swimming & I need sunscreen to do that, again can't take it on my carry on. So because of that we'll pick up our bags.

I pulled this from the transportation board. I printed it and put it in my planning journal too!

"Everyone arriving into MCO has to take a shuttle tram from the gate area to the main terminal. So, when you get off the tram, you will walk towards the center of the terminal area...hotel is around it, lots of greenery and such. If you look up, you will see, in bright neon, Side A and Side B signage. You are on level 3 at this point. Walk over to Side B, and go down a level, you are on level 2 now...baggage claim. Go down another level, to level 1, which is ground transportation. At the end of that area you will find DME, past the rental car counters and the Mears area.
It's really very easy. "

Hope that helps! :)

Thanks for all the info. I spoke to my dad & he feels much better now. He was extremely disgruntled with MCO because of our last experience there. Although I don't remember it (I was 21 & probably didn't care), he was pretty bitter with the time wasted there.

When you land at MCO the baggage claim section for AirTran is located on the B-side, however that is also where the Magical Express check-in counter is located. So at least you won't have to go from the A-side to the B-side because it would take a few more minutes and etc.

I don't mind waiting for my luggage & saundering over to the DME. I'm not one of those people you see rushing in the airports. When I'm on holiday I go into relaxation mode. I'll get out of the airport when I get out of the airport.

Good to know that the baggage claim is on the same side as ME.

We don't find MCO complicated at all, and we haven't encountered any problems the last two trips. First time we did MM, and second time we rented a car. Both times just as speedy, although the car rental was a little confusing at first. LOL now we're seasoned pro's... well at least we think so anyways. LOL :laughing:

We've been in a ton of airports so I can't see MCO being that bad. I think because my dad doesn't fly much he was concerned with all the rigamaroll we went thru before. I've had to catch the shuttle at Atlanta between terminals to catch connecting flights with 45 mins to spare before, with a 7 month old, bags & stroller. I think we can handle MCO :) but it's nice to know what to expect

You can think of the MCO main terminal as a football field. Although there are "things" like concession stands and concert stages on it so you cannot cut diagonally across.

Arriving on any airline and getting off the tram, it's like entering the field at one goalpost or the other so you exit security more or less halfway between the A side and B side which are like the side grandstands respectively. From the high numbered gates (60 and above) you enter into the Hyatt hotel atrium which is like the portion of a field from the goal line out to the 20 yard line and the B side is to your left.

Someone mentioned this hint, if you take the elevator down to the B side (lowest level), turn left upon exiting the elevator door to head for the Magical Express welcoming area.

If you needed to go down the A side first, you have to return to the ticketing/security level (level 3) to cross over to the B side. All Disney guests arriving after 10 PM must go get their own baggage. (In a real stadium you must return to field level to cross over directly to the other side grandstand.)

Generally, international travelers who need to clear or re-clear customs in Orlando can keep their baggage at the customs station (off-field using the football analogy) and carry it all to the tram if desired. Occasionally the customs agents require that you put the baggage on the other belt and take the tram empty-handed. To use Disney's Magical Express baggage delivery, put the baggage on the other belt before leaving the customs station.

Occasionally the customs agents require that you put the baggage on the other belt and take the tram empty-handed.
In the past when my family and I had to clear US Customs in Orlando after picking our checked bags for the 1st time, we had to put them on the 2nd belt to pick them up again the main terminal. However we were allowed to keep our carryon bags with us, plus we would have no choice since those would not have any luggage tags that say MCO. So how would they know which baggage claim area in the mail terminal those bags should go to?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter