Can someone explain fire ban?

LISmama810

Mouseketeer
I saw there's a campfire ban at Disney World. Does that include the Chip & Dale campfire/singalong, too? (My marshmallow roasting forks JUST arrived!) Can we use the barbecues at the cabin sites? I'm assuming no fire pits?

Last we heard still no open flames, including charcoal grills and fire pits. Propane grills are allowed and another Diser had reported that there some "community" gas grills available for use.

No fire pits. No Chip & Dale fire - only sing along and movie. No charcoal grills. Propane grills okay.

Oh no! My 8-year-old is devastated about the Chip & Dale campfire (and I kind of am, too). My husband is a career fireman, though, so I get it.

They have gotten some rain the last few days. Fingers crossed they lift the ban.

Anyone know what must happen for them to lift the ban? Not sure if it's been raining lately, but there is a lot of rain forecast for the next 7 days. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Anyone know what must happen for them to lift the ban? Not sure if it's been raining lately, but there is a lot of rain forecast for the next 7 days. Thanks! :)

While I do not know what their exact requirements for rain are for lifting the ban. It is a matter of public safety and a matter of protecting their investment. Disney is aware that everyone wants to cook and attend the campfires, but they have to think about everyone's safety. They will look at the rainfall, projected weather upcoming, winds, weather history, hopefully before making a decision. What we may consider a lot of rain, is not necessarily a lot of rain when it comes to slowing down a wildfire or reducing the chance of one starting. Tinder can get a lot of rain and within a couple hours based on others factors be capable of igniting.
So bottom line, I am sure they will keep the ban in place for the time being, maybe even thru the summer, until September rains come.
And yes I have been a Wildland Firefighter for some years now.

While I do not know what their exact requirements for rain are for lifting the ban. It is a matter of public safety and a matter of protecting their investment. Disney is aware that everyone wants to cook and attend the campfires, but they have to think about everyone's safety. They will look at the rainfall, projected weather upcoming, winds, weather history, hopefully before making a decision. What we may consider a lot of rain, is not necessarily a lot of rain when it comes to slowing down a wildfire or reducing the chance of one starting. Tinder can get a lot of rain and within a couple hours based on others factors be capable of igniting.
So bottom line, I am sure they will keep the ban in place for the time being, maybe even thru the summer, until September rains come.
And yes I have been a Wildland Firefighter for some years now.

I appreciate your reply, but it doesn't answer my question. I am from California and realize the threat of wild fires. Of course we want Disney Fort Wilderness to remain safe. I am curious what the prerequisites are for the ban to be lifted, as there must be some determinants.

First, it's not Disney that has the ban in place, it's the department of Agriculture. It seems that they have an FDI (Fire Danger Index) that guides their decisions. http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Div...Service/Wildland-Fire/Current-Fire-Conditions

While I don't know if it's a hard and fast rule, I suspect it's more of a guideline and that there is a "Board" who makes the determination probably by a consensus.

Probably a very similar thing in California as well.

From the website listed above:

Summary and Fire Potential Outlook
Florida is forecast to become drier and warmer this spring. February is when we typically see severe weather roll through the state, however, aside from the line that came through northern Florida in January, there hasn’t been much significant rainfall at all. Much of the state is in a rainfall deficit, and it’s expected to stay that way until the rainy season begins in the summer. Predictive Services with the National Interagency Fire Center in Boise are forecasting that in April, regions of Florida east of the Suwannee River will have an above normal Significant Wildland Fire Potential. This will expand to include the whole state in May and June.

The next seasonal outlook will be the first week in July, 2017.

I suspect you won't see much change before that July 2017 Seasonal Outlook.

First, it's not Disney that has the ban in place, it's the department of Agriculture. It seems that they have an FDI (Fire Danger Index) that guides their decisions. http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Div...Service/Wildland-Fire/Current-Fire-Conditions

While I don't know if it's a hard and fast rule, I suspect it's more of a guideline and that there is a "Board" who makes the determination probably by a consensus.

Probably a very similar thing in California as well.

From the website listed above:

Summary and Fire Potential Outlook
Florida is forecast to become drier and warmer this spring. February is when we typically see severe weather roll through the state, however, aside from the line that came through northern Florida in January, there hasn’t been much significant rainfall at all. Much of the state is in a rainfall deficit, and it’s expected to stay that way until the rainy season begins in the summer. Predictive Services with the National Interagency Fire Center in Boise are forecasting that in April, regions of Florida east of the Suwannee River will have an above normal Significant Wildland Fire Potential. This will expand to include the whole state in May and June.

The next seasonal outlook will be the first week in July, 2017.

I suspect you won't see much change before that July 2017 Seasonal Outlook.

Thank you for your response. We will stay in an RV and use propane to grill, but would miss the bonfires. Still hopeful the drought will subside for the good of Disney visitors and the Florida wildlife in general.

There is a burn ban map PDF which I assume is kept current.

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/content/download/4735/30181/county_burn_bans_map.pdf

Disney's website has a pop-up weather link that alerts the ban on fires on their Fort Wilderness Campsite reservations link below.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/campsites-at-fort-wilderness-resort/rates-rooms/

Hopefully they will also alert when ban is lifted. Do you know of a direct link we can check to see the status for Disney World area?

Do you think the ban will be lifted by September? I will be going down the last week of September, and was hoping to grill out for a couple of my meals.

Do you think the ban will be lifted by September? I will be going down the last week of September, and was hoping to grill out for a couple of my meals.

Even if the ban is in place, there are community grills placed out for campers to use that are propane. So you would still be able to cook dinner.
We are also camping from Mid Sept to Oct first, so we also hope it is lifted, as we enjoy the sing along campfire.

Even if the ban is in place, there are community grills placed out for campers to use that are propane. So you would still be able to cook dinner.
We are also camping from Mid Sept to Oct first, so we also hope it is lifted, as we enjoy the sing along campfire.

Sept. 23-28th here. My father has a propane camp grill I may borrow, but I am going to play it safe and make ADRs just in case. I can always cancel later if things work out. I was thinking seafood one night and steak another. The advantage to camping on your own is you don't have limitations on food, since you are only cooking for one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter