• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can Sis use ME? Not part of Package?

Singinglizzie

DIS Veteran
My Sis wants to join us for part of our trip. We are going to be staying onsite at WDW. IF, she comes, She would join us one day late, and leave one day early. I just called CRO and was told by a CM that since she would not be there our entire stay, she would just have to sign in at the resort to stay in our room? (I thought every one had to be on the same package, so was surprised that this is what I was told). Anyhow my question is, would she be eligible to use the ME? I had planned to rent a car, but was thinking about cancelling it and just using ME as well. She is thinking about flying SWA? Anything special that I would need to know??? Thanks. Liz

Unless she is listed on the reservation she can't use DME. If you have a package she would need to have the same.

Safetymom is correct, but the extension of that response is: When your sister arrives at MCO and claims her luggage, she needs to proceed to the Mears counter on Level One. That is the ONLY way she can arrange transportation via Mears (shuttle) to Disney. It's $19 one way, $32 or $35 round trip. This makes it the least expensive option for her - assuming nobody in your party will have a rental car and can pick her up.

It's likely but not guaranteed that Mears will place her on a Magical Express bus.

The other options would be a town car for a fixed rate, or a taxi for a metered rate.

You can inquire about adding her to the room reservation the day she arrives. If she is on your room reservation prior to her arrival in Orlando then she may use Magical Express. If she is not on the room reservation then she may not stay in the room.

I did something similar to this when my DH joined us part way into our trip in August. I could not add him to the room until he was physically there. They needed to see him. :confused3 They also checked on my reservation to make sure I was not exceeding the maximum number of adults allowed. They would have charged me if I had more than 2. They asked for his ID when he got there and added him to the room. He took Mears to Pop Century for $19. No ME because he was not on the reservation yet. He took a Mears van not a Magical Express bus to the hotel. It made about 4 stops before his stop. Since he was on the reservation, I was able to get him Magical Express on the way back to the airport. The happily added him and adjusted my departure time so we could all ride together. :banana:

Singinglizzie -
We have the same situation coming up in February where my nephew is joining our party a day after we check in, and only staying 4 days of our 10 day stay.
I conducted an online chat session with Disney guest services and was told he could use DME. When we arrive at the resort, we were told to register him at the check in desk the morning of the day he is due to arrive. We do not plan to add him to our package, but rather to purchase him separate park passes for his length of stay. My chat with the cast member was very specific, and he gave instructions to have my nephew go directly to DME when he arrives (which is in the evening), and they will have record of his arrival by that time in the system, and allow him to board the bus without a voucher. We're advising my nephew to just bring a carryon versus checked luggage. Although we're told if he has checked luggage, to give the DME rep a description of his luggage on check in and they would retrieve and deliver to the resort.
I see a post to the contrary that this was not allowed so I'll give my nephew some backup instructions for Mears - just in case.
I'll PM you my chat transcript if you'd like to see all the details I discussed with the cast member, let me know.
Good luck!

I conducted an online chat session with Disney guest services and was told he could use DME. When we arrive at the resort, we were told to register him at the check in desk the morning of the day he is due to arrive.
I woud NOT take that as Gospel. I would recommend calling the Magical Express toll-free number (available in one, if not all, the DME-related 'sticky' threads at the top of this forum) and ask a Cast Member at THAT number if it is possible and how to go about it.

It seems HIGHLY unusual that it would be possible to make a same-day DME reservation for anyone, based on Disney's contract with Orlando International Airport regarding Magical Express service.

At least try to make the DME reservation for her at least a day in advance.

Then if she is not registered in the room upon arrival, the worst that would happen is that she would be dishonored on the spot. After that she could walk a few feet to the Mears Shuttle counter.

Singinglizzie -
We have the same situation coming up in February where my nephew is joining our party a day after we check in, and only staying 4 days of our 10 day stay.
I conducted an online chat session with Disney guest services and was told he could use DME. When we arrive at the resort, we were told to register him at the check in desk the morning of the day he is due to arrive. We do not plan to add him to our package, but rather to purchase him separate park passes for his length of stay. My chat with the cast member was very specific, and he gave instructions to have my nephew go directly to DME when he arrives (which is in the evening), and they will have record of his arrival by that time in the system, and allow him to board the bus without a voucher. We're advising my nephew to just bring a carryon versus checked luggage. Although we're told if he has checked luggage, to give the DME rep a description of his luggage on check in and they would retrieve and deliver to the resort.
I see a post to the contrary that this was not allowed so I'll give my nephew some backup instructions for Mears - just in case.
I'll PM you my chat transcript if you'd like to see all the details I discussed with the cast member, let me know.
Good luck!
Others have done this, exactly as described, with great success. So, get him on the reservation as soon as you are able to. Tell them he needs to use DME. His name should be in the system when he gets to the DME counter. Using SW is not an issue. The only thing that is different is that you can't get your bags checked right at the resort before heading back to the airport. But, since he will have carryon only, he can just bring that bag to the bus with him when it's time for him to return to the airport.

If something happens, and he can't get on the DME bus, he can just walk over to the next counter area, Mears, and get on a bus to the resort there. It will be $19, one way, and is pretty decent. I did it myself to the Swan in Sept. It didn't take much more time than the DME bus would have.

Good luck and let us know how it all works out when you get back home.

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I'm thinking that maybe I just ought to stick to the car rental so I can pick her up. She will arrive around 10:15 pm, so it probably would be nicer for her to have me give her a lift than try to get on DME then have her "dishonored":rotfl: . Then the "cheap" part of me says no need to have the car and the extra expense. :confused3 . Well I have a few days to mull it over. FYI, 7 or 8 years ago I "crashed" her family's WDW vacation and her husband picked me up at the airport in the evening, which means he gave up one of his park evenings to do this for me. but... maybe she's forgotten this :lmao: !!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter