Can our friends join us at the DLH pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkmcan

Official Mouse Fan
We are staying on property for the first time ever in Oct. (2 nights at the DLH and 2 nights at the Grand) and we are so excited!

Some friends of ours are driving over to meet up with us for some dinner and Downtown Disney time. Would they be allowed to come to the pool with us for some hang out time?

Thanks!

I would say NO...that they would not be able to join you at the pool.

The use of the pool is for GUESTS paying to stay at the hotel.

Those are guest only pools but many people do not pay attention to what they are..we saw a number of folks at the GCH pool that would wait for some one to open the gates and follow in..one family was asked for their room card(over heard since they were next our cabana), thet were asked to leave when they could prove they were staying at the hotel. For the most part I am sure it would be easy to do but at the same time these pools get very crowded and I am sure it would not make some guests happy. Have a wonderful time.

Jack

Only hotel guests are allowed to use the pools.

Some hotels in Hawaii make you wear a wrist band to prevent people from wandering in off the beach....
Pool chairs are sometimes hard to come by, and people get there early to stake claim, having non-registered guests there would make the situation worse.

Lori

Some hotels in Hawaii make you wear a wrist band to prevent people from wandering in off the beach....
Pool chairs are sometimes hard to come by, and people get there early to stake claim, having non-registered guests there would make the situation worse.

Lori

Stormaway Bay (pool at Yacht & Beach Clubs in WDW) has wristbands too.

Stormaway Bay (pool at Yacht & Beach Clubs in WDW) has wristbands too.

Same for the Polynesian depending on the day. We were at the Volcano pool and some kid says to my husband, "So, what hotel are you from?" :eek: He then proceeded to tell my husband that they were at some other hotel. The pool wasn't very crowded that day -- hence the absence of wristbands which made their appearance in the following days.

It seems like a good idea, but it is very frustrating for the guests who have paid for use of the pool and amenities. I guess if they just want to see the pool and have a drink by it, that's fine, just don't use the lounge chairs.

DLH does not use wristbands. However you need a room key to get into the pool area.

Technically, no, as the pools are only for hotel guests, and specifically guests of DLH (for example you're technically not supposed to stay at GCH and use the pool at DLH even) but in my experience they seldom check except on really busy days. If you really want to do it, I doubt anyone will care so long as you all go in as one group, and of course someone has a room key to unlock the gate.

As a travel agent, usually I find that at any hotels this is not allowed or at least discouraged. This takes away from someone paying $50/nt at the Super 8 (for example) and then using the facilites at the DLH w/their friends. I also think it is rude for the guests to expect their friends to be able to use the pool, etc. as well. In Mexico they have a great idean, if people want to meet up w/others and use the facilites, they pay for a day pass. Then it is fair. I wouldn't do and wouldn't try to sneak other in, but that's just me.

thanks for the responses. Not a big deal. Just thought all the kids could enjoy some swim time together.

thanks for the responses. Not a big deal. Just thought all the kids could enjoy some swim time together.

I bet it would fun for the family and I am positive many people will try and get away with it, just not right.

Jack

If you have 4 people in your room, and it allows 5 people you could get a 5th key for one extra person. There were no wristbands when we stayed. We are a family of three and my in-laws met us in SoCal since they were there visiting family during our trip to DLH last year, and they came and joined us at the pool and enjoyed watching DS play though they aren't swimmers. Nobody asked us about who was staying in the room or not, and they needed an extra key anyways for the parking that was included in our room (DVC).

If you have 4 people in your room, and it allows 5 people you could get a 5th key for one extra person. There were no wristbands when we stayed. We are a family of three and my in-laws met us in SoCal since they were there visiting family during our trip to DLH last year, and they came and joined us at the pool and enjoyed watching DS play though they aren't swimmers. Nobody asked us about who was staying in the room or not, and they needed an extra key anyways for the parking that was included in our room (DVC).

When you stay at a Disney hotel they get they names of every guest in your room. Your rate is based on how many you say are in your room and that's how many keys you get. The keys have names on them, so each is assigned to a registered guest.

If you really want it all on the up and up, ask the hotel and see what they say.

I guess I don't see what the big deal is?
Especially if it isn't really busy.

We have family that lives about an 1 1/2 hrs away and may plan on visiting us at our hotel for a bit while we are there.

I don't see why a couple more bodies, from our paid visit, would make much more of a difference.

I could see if just some people off the streets came wandering in to use the facilities that that would not be ok, but we are paying customers not trying to take anything from anyone! Just continuing to make memories with the family.

Just my 2 cents.

Those family members of yours are no different than anybody off the street. Therefore, they are not entitled to use the facilities. It is like stealing in a way and is against policy. If they want to use the facilities, they should pay like any other guests. I think that is a very simple thing and am surprised anyone would have a hard time understanding that.
PS: It's just as bad to give your key to people so they get free parking. That is terrible. I can't believe people would think to do that:(

I guess I don't see what the big deal is?
Especially if it isn't really busy.

We have family that lives about an 1 1/2 hrs away and may plan on visiting us at our hotel for a bit while we are there.

I don't see why a couple more bodies, from our paid visit, would make much more of a difference.

I could see if just some people off the streets came wandering in to use the facilities that that would not be ok, but we are paying customers not trying to take anything from anyone! Just continuing to make memories with the family.

Just my 2 cents.
Again, that is why I would ask, and then follow what you are told. The deal is that the pools at the Disney hotels are in high demand. Lots of families can't afford to stay there, so they don't. They stay across the street. Maybe their friends or relatives do stay at a resort hotel. Does that mean the across the street folks, who did not pay for right of use of the pools, should get to use them anyway? Not really. If you are talking about one visitor, maybe, but more than that (and even that really) isn't right, and I'm pretty sure against the rules. Again, ask, see what the hotel says. The whole extra key thing though is just wrong.

Those family members of yours are no different than anybody off the street. Therefore, they are not entitled to use the facilities. It is like stealing in a way and is against policy. If they want to use the facilities, they should pay like any other guests. I think that is a very simple thing and am surprised anyone would have a hard time understanding that.
PS: It's just as bad to give your key to people so they get free parking. That is terrible. I can't believe people would think to do that:(
Again, keys are for registered guests only, and the hotels all ask for the names of all guests in your room. If you list those family members as occupants of the room, they may park or use the pool at will, otherwise, it is kind of like stealing/cheating to me.

And remember, if you're going to list some family members on your foom, you pay according to the number of occupants and rooms have maximum amounts, so you probably can't add 3 people to your room, so this really wouldn't be an option. So if that doesn't work and your aren't willing to pay for them as occupants of the room, then no they should not come and use the facilities.

When you stay at a Disney hotel they get they names of every guest in your room. Your rate is based on how many you say are in your room and that's how many keys you get. The keys have names on them, so each is assigned to a registered guest.

If you really want it all on the up and up, ask the hotel and see what they say.
When you stay on DVC points you can have up to 5 people in a room for the same flat rate of points. We got 5 keys. Seriously not an "down low" kind of thing. What is the difference between my family of 3 using the hotel at night + 2 using the resort during the day and a family of 5 that uses the hotel day and night for the same price? Less wear and tear on the facilities my way, otherwise none.

jilld11
Giving a key to my in-laws for free parking was fine, since my dues as a DVC member pay for the parking lots at the DL hotels - its a line item on my annual maintenance fee statement. I did not have a car, and with every DVC reservation, one is allowed to park up to 2 cars at a resort. If one stays for cash, one pays a fee of $15 per car for overnight parking. If you pay a fee, will Disney care if its your car or a friends? I think not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter