Can MS merge a reservation made with rental points then with my own points?

disprincess2213

DIS Veteran
Can MS "combine" reservations if made with rented points, then with my own personal DVC points? We rented points at a different home so we were guaranteed the room at 11 months. If the time comes closer and there are nights available at the end of the trip that I can use MY OWN points for, can MS merge the 2 reservations? Obviously they would be in the same room category, same number of people, etc?

They may be able to link the reservations but I don't think that they will merge reservations from 2 different member accounts.

:earsboy: Bill

They will recognize the two stays so that you don't have to move rooms, but they cannot "combine" the separate reservations into one. You will need to go to the front desk to check out of the previous reservation and check in to the next one, but you should be able to stay in the same room.

Yep, that would be the case. 2 separate member accounts. This is what i was wondering....

If the reservations can't be linked, have MS note the second reservation number as a continuing reservation, hopefully the room assigner will take note and leave you in the same room.

:earsboy: Bill

We've done this many times. We've always been told they cannot be merged or linked because they are from separate accounts, but they will note on both reservations that there is a continued stay attached in hopes of keeping you in the same room. We've always been lucky enough to stay put, however I did see a post on here about a year ago where someone had to move (but they DID have different room categories booked).

Also, even when linked verify when you check in. If the room assignor hasn't set it up it probably can be fixed then.

They should be able to link them but they cannot merge them into one reservation. Linking is used to alert the room assigner that two completely separate reservations are in fact one continuous stay. Obviously both reservations must be for the same room size and booking category.

As KAT said, double check this when you check in for the first part of your stay.

It will be helpful for the owner you rented the reservation from to call or email and tell them to note "Traveling with..." and your reservation. You can then do the same on the additional nights you book.

It will be helpful for the owner you rented the reservation from to call or email and tell them to note "Traveling with..." and your reservation. You can then do the same on the additional nights you book.
'Travel With' is used when you have multiple rooms for the same nights and you want those rooms assigned as near to each other as possible.
'Continuing Stay' is used when you have consecutive reservations booked on different memberships and want to try and keep the same room (subject to all being the exact same booking category).

We had MS link our reservations in June and November because we are using some points from my DSIL who didn't want them to expire. However, DSIL had to contact MS for her reservations and we had to confirm for our reservations--we did a 3 way call.

Thanks Michael for the proper wording of Continuing Stay to keep the same room.

It's been awhile but a DVC member friend & I have combined points for a stay and it was treated as one reservation. One time we even had 3 reservations. I booked night 1, she booked night 2 (weekend night), I booked nights 3 & 4.

It's been awhile but a DVC member friend & I have combined points for a stay and it was treated as one reservation. One time we even had 3 reservations. I booked night 1, she booked night 2 (weekend night), I booked nights 3 & 4.
A reservation can belong to only one membership. I don't see any way one reservation could be booked with points from more than one membership unless points were transferred from one membership to the other, so that the points belonged to just one membership at the time the reservation was made. Maybe you booked it as you describe and MS linked the separate reservations together? I don't think there is any way that one stay booked by two members as three separate reservations could be merged into one reservation.

I vaguely recall a brief period when Disney tried out the concept of a travel plan that could contain more than one reservation. Maybe you booked the trip during that time, assuming I'm correctly remembering how it worked.

A reservation can belong to only one membership. I don't see any way one reservation could be booked with points from more than one membership unless points were transferred from one membership to the other, so that the points belonged to just one membership at the time the reservation was made. Maybe you booked it as you describe and MS linked the separate reservations together? I don't think there is any way that one stay booked by two members as three separate reservations could be merged into one reservation.

I vaguely recall a brief period when Disney tried out the concept of a travel plan that could contain more than one reservation. Maybe you booked the trip during that time, assuming I'm correctly remembering how it worked.
The only way this could work now is if the points were transferred and the reservation was booked under one membership.

The only way this could work now is if the points were transferred and the reservation was booked under one membership.

As I said, it was awhile ago. We did it a couple of times - once at OKW and once at VGC. The VGC was more recent, maybe 3 years ago. We got key cards for the whole stay, we did not have to check out and check back in. The housekeeping schedule was based on the entire stay.

As I said, it was awhile ago. We did it a couple of times - once at OKW and once at VGC. The VGC was more recent, maybe 3 years ago. We got key cards for the whole stay, we did not have to check out and check back in. The housekeeping schedule was based on the entire stay.
There was a time when linking reservations made them act as a single reservation but now one must check in again on the change day even when linked. I believe this changed coincided with the last computer upgrade if I understood it correctly.

It used to be that a linked reservation operated as a seamless single reservation up until they did they upgrade when they started the travel plan that you mentioned - back when you could split a reservation to book the DDP for just a portion of your stay. What was that - 3 years ago or just 2? It was prior to MB's but seemed to be part of getting ready to implement MDE when that all changed.

It used to be that a linked reservation operated as a seamless single reservation up until they did they upgrade when they started the travel plan that you mentioned - back when you could split a reservation to book the DDP for just a portion of your stay. What was that - 3 years ago or just 2? It was prior to MB's but seemed to be part of getting ready to implement MDE when that all changed.
Ah yes, thanks for the reminder. Back in the days when linked reservations functioned as one seamless reservation, it worked as if points from multiple memberships could be used to book "one" reservation. It's possible members weren't even told their reservations had been linked since all that matters to the guest is that you check in once and stay in the same room the entire stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter