• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can Magic Bands be Re-programed?

hapandpam

DIS Veteran
I have 3 gray magic bands from previous trips, and a red one from my last trip. The red one is linked to my current AP. My family will be taking a trip in a few weeks and staying at SoG. Is it possible to go to Guest Relations and have their tickets put on these gray bands? If so, can it be a guest relations outside a park? We are buying the Memory Maker and I think it will be easier if they have magic bands. Thanks for any advice.

I have 3 gray magic bands from previous trips, and a red one from my last trip. The red one is linked to my current AP. My family will be taking a trip in a few weeks and staying at SoG. Is it possible to go to Guest Relations and have their tickets put on these gray bands? If so, can it be a guest relations outside a park? We are buying the Memory Maker and I think it will be easier if they have magic bands. Thanks for any advice.

It isn't possible.

If Memory Maker is linked to your MDE, just let them wear your old bands for MM purposes only.

All your MBs are linked to your MDE account not to specific Tickets unless your AP is linked to a different MDE.

Is everyone set up on MDX? If so, and everyone's accounts are linked just add them to the Memory Maker and they can scan their own bands.

Is everyone set up on MDX? If so, and everyone's accounts are linked just add them to the Memory Maker and they can scan their own bands.

The family members don't have MBs. They are staying at SoG. Less expensive to use the old MagicBands for Memory Maker ride photos and videos.

Once you have a band assigned to you and linked to your MDX account, you cannot remove that band and assign it to someone else. The most you can do is deactivate it.

Just to clarify, your AP is linked to your MDEx account, not a specific band. Any bands that were created for you can be used interchangeably as they will all read whatever is linked to your MDEx account.

As others have said, no, you cannot reprogram MBs. Your family members can buy MBs or just have the photographers scan their park tickets.

If you buy a magic band you can link it to your account here https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/link/magic-bands/

If someone has a magic band that they deactivate couldn't someone else link it to their mde account?

Even though Disney uses "activate/deactivate," they really mean "link/unlink" from your MDE account. Disney doesn't want the masses to know the MagicBand is always active - unlinking just disallows others from accessing your MDE content.

The finger scans are also MagicBand specific that's why they can't be given to others to use.

Even though Disney uses "activate/deactivate," they really mean "link/unlink" from your MDE account. Disney doesn't want the masses to know the MagicBand is always active - unlinking just disallows others from accessing your MDE content.

The finger scans are also MagicBand specific that's why they can't be given to others to use.

Deactivating a MB does not "unlink" it from your account. It tells the system this is an inactive band, which means it won't work for MM+ services. It's still linked to your account.

The biometric scan is not MB specific, it's specific to the ticket entitlement. Each ticket on your account can potentially have a different bio associated, it has nothing to do with the band used to access it.

Deactivating a MB does not "unlink" it from your account. It tells the system this is an inactive band, which means it won't work for MM+ services. It's still linked to your account.

The biometric scan is not MB specific, it's specific to the ticket entitlement. Each ticket on your account can potentially have a different bio associated, it has nothing to do with the band used to access it.

But if you have to use the correct MagicBand to enter the park with the ticket that is attached to you and not your spouse, it does make it MagicBand specific - this is the information that Disney disseminates in regards to entering the parks using MagicBands.

Activate/deactivate confuses Guests. They believe the MagicBand becomes inactive - it is always active. Deactivating removes it from being active in the system which means it doesn't link with the system yet it always remains active... there is no way to "turn off" the MagicBands' RFID capabilities.

If you buy a magic band you can link it to your account here https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/link/magic-bands/

If someone has a magic band that they deactivate couldn't someone else link it to their mde account?

No, because once it is linked to an account, it cannot be removed from that account. Deactivating the band only means the band is rendered unable to read information from the account. It can be reactivated but not reassigned. and you cannot assign one band to two different accounts.

But if you have to use the correct MagicBand to enter the park with the ticket that is attached to you and not your spouse, it does make it MagicBand specific - this is the information that Disney disseminates in regards to entering the parks using MagicBands.

Activate/deactivate confuses Guests. They believe the MagicBand becomes inactive - it is always active. Deactivating removes it from being active in the system which means it doesn't link with the system yet it always remains active... there is no way to "turn off" the MagicBands' RFID capabilities.

1) No, it's specific to the ticket entitlement. If you have two tickets linked to you, they each store a separate bio. Doesn't matter what MagicBand you use to enter the park. Your answer implied that using a different band(say I have 5 linked to me) would garner a different result - it doesn't.

2) The proper term is to deactivate. And it means to deactivate the band in MM+ - not the band itself. Unlink means to remove entirely from an account. A guest is not able to do that. If you deactivate a band, it is still linked to you, thus why it appears in your MagicBand and cards list. It will still Identify you on touch to identify devices.

1) No, it's specific to the ticket entitlement. If you have two tickets linked to you, they each store a separate bio. Doesn't matter what MagicBand you use to enter the park. Your answer implied that using a different band(say I have 5 linked to me) would garner a different result - it doesn't.

2) The proper term is to deactivate. And it means to deactivate the band in MM+ - not the band itself. Unlink means to remove entirely from an account. A guest is not able to do that. If you deactivate a band, it is still linked to you, thus why it appears in your MagicBand and cards list. It will still Identify you on touch to identify devices.

If you have read the major Threads on this board, many believe "deactivate" shuts down the MagicBand, thus extending the battery life. Maybe there should have been a better proper term that Disney chose for this.

I do have a question: because tickets can be purchased and held in hand to enter, if my daughter entered using a ticket and her biometric was linked to that ticket, in theory, if that ticket were then linked manually to my MDE account, could she use my MagicBand to enter the park using that specific ticket's entitlements?

She won't be able to enter the park with a ticket that is not already linked to her MDX. Even if you have a ticket card and hold it in your hand, it has to be linked to you. You are looking to have her enter a park with a ticket that is assigned to YOU if you want her to use your band for everything. The RFID on the ticket doesn't store information, only the MDX account does.

She won't be able to enter the park with a ticket that is not already linked to her MDX.

Let's say DD 1 walks up to a ticket booth and buys a ticket. Enters the park using the ticket and the scan reads and saves her biometric.

She opens up my MDE account and enters the ticket.

Now, the MagicBand linked to my MDE account will then read her biometric as linked to that ticket and she can use my old MagicBand.

Mnrled has established that MagicBands are not linked to specific biometrics, it's the ticket that is linked to the biometric.

So, in essence, an old MagicBand can be used by another person if the new ticket is linked to the new biometric.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter