• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can kids order adult meals on dining plan

DizGeek

Are we there yet?
We have the dining plan and I was wondering if kids get to order off the regular menu or is it just the kids menu?

Yup, jjohnson is right-kids 3 to 9 must order off the kids meal if one is available. Which is a real bummer for my 8 y o. He does like "kids" food like mac & cheese. However, he would much rather have "adult" meals like salmon and lamb and so on. I can't see myself ordering grilled salmon when he has to eat from the kid's menu which is VERY limited at most restaurants at WDW. After reading a zillion menus, I opted more for buffets for his sake. Also, Concourse Steak house has a better kids menu with things like shrimp cocktail and grilled fish. Now I wish that I had told a little white lie :rolleyes1 and said he was 10!

Our whole family is going in December; we'll have 8 adults (including 12-year-old granddaughter) and 2 "children" (9-year-old grandson and 3-year-old granddaughter). My daughter and I plan to order meals that appeal to the 9-year-old, and let him share some of ours along with whatever he might order from the kids' menu. Heck, the 3-year-old might end up with two kids' entrees while he joins us in our meals. We won't waste food, but I see no problem in sharing our adult meals with him, when he likes that better.

:jumping1: :jumping1: What about the appetizers? According to the plan everyone is supposed to get an appetizer with their meal, yet very few TS restaurants have them on their kids menu. Can children order appetizers from the adult menu ? If so that might give your DS a taste of the better food.

jrjac said:
Yup, jjohnson is right-kids 3 to 9 must order off the kids meal if one is available. Which is a real bummer for my 8 y o. He does like "kids" food like mac & cheese. However, he would much rather have "adult" meals like salmon and lamb and so on. I can't see myself ordering grilled salmon when he has to eat from the kid's menu which is VERY limited at most restaurants at WDW. After reading a zillion menus, I opted more for buffets for his sake. Also, Concourse Steak house has a better kids menu with things like shrimp cocktail and grilled fish. Now I wish that I had told a little white lie :rolleyes1 and said he was 10!

I would look at all the menus for sit downs....some offer better choices than others. For example, Tony's offers pasta primavera, Alfredo's offers fettuccine alfredo, Spoodles offers a fruit plate for an apeptizer and a grilled beef strip.

My guess is that as time goes on, more and more restaurants will start offering kids appetizers and more options for a kids meal, because of the dining plan.

Julia

I do hope they will do a makeover of the kid's menus at WDW. As I looked over the menus, I felt like screaming if I saw one more that listed hot dog, mac & cheese and pb & j! aghhhh! What about fish? veggies? fruit?

I am in the same boat. I have a 6 and 9 year old nephew who only eat adult food. They can outeat me in shrimp and lobster anyday.

These are the restaurants I found with the nicest kids menu including steak, shrimp cocktail etc.

Narcosees (two tableservice credits)
Teppenkanyi in Epcot
Concourse Steakhouse at the Contempory

You may also want to hit the buffets such as Cape May where they can eat adult food.

When we were there in June, it seemed like most of the places had a kid appetizer--but I think there was just one option. I can't remember exactly what it was, but seemed like it was fresh veggies and cheese.

I am guessing (purely a guess) that most of the places will have a kid appetizer now.

Alot of restaurants have added children's apps. CRT has completely changed their children's menu & now includes prime rib & baked ziti.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter