Can it be done for $1500-2000?

erbeaman

Mouseketeer
Help! I may have bitten off more than I can chew... I have volunteered to coordinate a trip for a large group (up to 17 depending on which families decide to come for sure). One family of 4 would like to keep their budget at no more than $2000 including travel from mid-Michigan (they are willing to drive- 2 day drive), lodging, park tickets, and food. We are looking at getting two pool houses somewhere with two families sharing each house. Can it be done?

Here's the breakdown:
We are planning on going August 2014. They only want 4 days in the parks, no hopper. We would need a house that sleeps 9 in beds. I was hoping for free dining so we could maybe stay onsite, but it doesn't seem to be happening in August anymore lately... It can be done for less than $2000, right :scared:?

I just don't know. It is going to depend on what kind of rate you can get on the houses. 4 day base tickets for 2A2C are $871, almost half that buget.

I recently booked the first leg of our trip with free dining. I even upgraded to the one with a daily table service instead of all quick serve. I have 8 day tix (no hop), 3 day POP and 3 day free dining (which the vouchers are actually good for 4 days - midnight on check out day) for right around $1800. Then I did the resort discount for the last portion of our trip at WL without dining. If you want to do 4 day stay, 4 or 5 day tix with free dining at a value you would prob be within your budget. I am going when resort rates are lowest so that is a factor too.

I didn't even book til right at 2 months in advance. The payments were due quick but I am happy with the pricing. If you book you could always rebook if a promotion becomes available. You won't see resort or dining promotions for Aug 2014 for quite a while.

oh sorry .... just read the trying to get a house part. Oh well at least I shared close to what you can expect if you wanted to consider values ;)

It's doable (depending on family size).

PP mentioned price of tickets - that can't really be touched - so let's say $875.

Are you thinking a week long stay?

You can definitely find rental houses/condos for $1000 - $1500 for a week. Split between two families - that can be $500.

So that's $1375.

Gas both ways??? No idea at all - but maybe $300??

That's $1675.

One night hotel each way $50/each = $100.

That's $1775.

They are going to have to eat most/all meals in the rental and bring lunches/dinners/snacks to the parks to keep it under $2000 total. But it is doable - but TIGHT. And you might have to go a bit further away from Disney to get a rental house for that many people for $1000.

Help! I may have bitten off more than I can chew... I have volunteered to coordinate a trip for a large group (up to 17 depending on which families decide to come for sure). One family of 4 would like to keep their budget at no more than $2000 including travel from mid-Michigan (they are willing to drive- 2 day drive), lodging, park tickets, and food. We are looking at getting two pool houses somewhere with two families sharing each house. Can it be done?

Here's the breakdown:
We are planning on going August 2014. They only want 4 days in the parks, no hopper. We would need a house that sleeps 9 in beds. I was hoping for free dining so we could maybe stay onsite, but it doesn't seem to be happening in August anymore lately... It can be done for less than $2000, right :scared:?

How long are you staying? Figure the cost of gas and lodging (for the drive there and back) will be a substantial amount. I don't know how much gas they would use from Michigan though, or what type of motel/hotel they would settle for (if any).

I am doubtful. Driving from Indiana in march was $450.00 (strictly gas and does not include travel food or lodging prices)

2 adults 2 children and a value in January with 6 day base and free dining would be 1850.00 for us on top of transportation cost.

In march 2013 it was 1000.00 for DTD hotel, 1000 for 6 day base, 600 for food. You could likely get a cheaper hotel but parking fees would be added or shuttle fees (depending on hotel/condo).

Eta: aaa has a great gas calculator and was nearly right on with their estimate (we came in under by a bit)

Best wishes in your search.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

It's doable (depending on family size).

PP mentioned price of tickets - that can't really be touched - so let's say $875.

Are you thinking a week long stay?

You can definitely find rental houses/condos for $1000 - $1500 for a week. Split between two families - that can be $500.

So that's $1375.

Gas both ways??? No idea at all - but maybe $300??

That's $1675.

One night hotel each way $50/each = $100.

That's $1775.

They are going to have to eat most/all meals in the rental and bring lunches/dinners/snacks to the parks to keep it under $2000 total. But it is doable - but TIGHT. And you might have to go a bit further away from Disney to get a rental house for that many people for $1000.

Can you really get a house that sleeps 9 during the summer for $1000 a week?

Can you really get a house that sleeps 9 during the summer for $1000 a week?

Honestly, I've never tried...But I would guess you could, if you're willing to go 15 - 20 minutes away from the parks.

My family and I got a house that slept 14 in Windsor Hills for $1600 but that was off season.

OP says August of next year...so prices start to drop off after the first week of August...So I would say they have a shot.

Honestly - many condos sleep 8 too...SO you might be able to do that - if one kid sleeps on a couch.

So farther away and smaller place...I would think that you could do it for $1000 - IF NOT, I would skip the rental house altogether and go to an offsite hotel that includes breakfast. I've gotten STaybridge Suites LBV for $75 for a 2 bedroom (sleeps 8 - so two of these rooms might work for the whole group for OP). This place has great location, nice pool and a full HOT breakfast included. That's a lot of savings for that many people. Even if you don't get as good a deal as I had - if you think of this place as $120 per night, split in 2 - that's $60 per night x 7 nights = that's $420 total and that INCLUDES breakfast. And there is a kitchen - so meals at the hotel won't be a problem either. Actually, now that I'm running the numbers - I would definitely recommend this setup for the OP instead. It would be closer than any 'value' house rental that you could find and it includes breakfast. AND - likely a lot cheaper than the house....Assuming you can have 2 families in each of the 2 bedroom units.

Here's the breakdown:

Hotel offsite $100 night x 7 nights $700
Tickets $875
Travel Expenses $425

That puts you right at $2000. If you find a villa somewhere off property with kitchen facilities, you can grocery shop and eat in.

I think you can do it, but it will be tight. I priced a value vacation online just to get an idea, and I think you can save money if you want to get a house or stay in an offsite hotel.

Checking in 8/17/2014 and checking out 8/22/2014
Pop Century - 2 adults and two kids (3-9 years old)
Four day base tickets
Rack rate - $1716.18 (should also be the price paid if free dining is offered)
This year, Disney is offering 20% off the value resorts in late August - that would save about $20 per night.
Adding the quick service dining plan (not recommended, but just to see the numbers) - $2270.08
If the kids are older than 9, they pay adult ticket prices and adult prices for the dining plan, character meals and buffets. If under three, they don't need a ticket at all.

A house or an offsite hotel would be cheaper than Pop Century, but you would need to budget for parking at WDW. Some of the offsite hotels include breakfast.

You would need to add gas and hotels on travel days, which would put you over $2000 at Pop Century, but I think you can do it with an offsite place. I would suggest to the family that they allocate their weekly food budget to pay for food (since they won't be home), but they likely would not be eating out much at WDW at all.

Mousesavers.com has great tips for saving money on everything from hotels to tickets to food. They used to have an article about a family of four going to WDW for under $2000, but I can't find it on their site.

I would think that is cutting it close. For just my family of 4 we are staying a week at Windsor Hills at a townhouse which is about $950 ish, 2 days at Disney is around $770, rental car $200 ish, water park $200, flight $1100(hopefully). Doing a beach day also.

So for our trip it will be around $3220
But we will also bring about $2000 for food/souviners even though we never use even close to that much, just never know.

I think that is cutting it way too close. The price of food and gas is just too high. I think 2500 would be doable, maybe. Transportation is what is taking our trip from a splurge to almost unaffordable!

With that budget the family would be better off staying in a hotel with free breakfast unless someone is willing to cough up more money towards the house rental. We have done some major budget trips & have stayed in some cheap hotels to make it happen & still had a good time. It doesn't sound like a very fun trip though cutting it that close. If they have car problems or a medical issue what will they do?

On Undercover Tourist, I'm getting $1123 for 4 day base tickets for 2 adults & 2 kids.:confused3

$1123 tickets
$400 gas
$100 road hotel

Already at $1623, so that leaves $377 for food & lodging in Florida. I'm not seeing it.:worried:

They used to have an article about a family of four going to WDW for under $2000, but I can't find it on their site.

You probably can't find it because they probably removed it thinking yeah right Disney under $2000:lmao:

But it probably could be done if they drive, bring there own food to make food in there kitchen and pack lunches for the park. I understand wanted to save money but cooking on vacation and packing lunches don't sound fun to me, but that's just me I guess.

If you chose to stay off site, you will need to add in parking each day at the parks. I think it is about $15 per day now.

We stayed at Wyndham bonnet creek last may in a 3 bedroom that sleeps 10 for 1195 for 7 nights . Not sure what the price is in August - but we booked through vacation strategy .

I think you owe it to that family and the other families to say it will very likely be more than $2000 so they can make the commitment or not. Who has a crystal ball to say what gas prices will be next August, or ticket prices? If I'm one of the other families and I'd rather stay on site and book character meals, and this family backs out at the last minute because of price and I'm 30 minutes away from WDW in the cheapest home you can find without being able to book a reservation at Chef Mickey's, I'd be pretty irate. And if I'm this family and the $2k is a stretch and next year tickets for my family are another $200 and gas has gone up and suddenly I'm $2500 in, well, I wouldn't blame YOU but plenty of people would.

It would be VERY tight at 2K, but it could be done.

4 Day basic tickets through YES - $880 (2A2C)
4BR house at 7 Dwarfs Village Kissimmee w/ taxes divided by 2 families - $375
Gas for travel at 1000 miles each way, 20 mpg, $4 gas - $400
Hotels both ways -$100

Total of $1755

This would leave $245 for food, drive around gas, and parking. Don't forget that the food and driving around gas would be an expense they would have at home. That may cover part of the amount.

I think you owe it to that family and the other families to say it will very likely be more than $2000 so they can make the commitment or not. Who has a crystal ball to say what gas prices will be next August, or ticket prices? If I'm one of the other families and I'd rather stay on site and book character meals, and this family backs out at the last minute because of price and I'm 30 minutes away from WDW in the cheapest home you can find without being able to book a reservation at Chef Mickey's, I'd be pretty irate. And if I'm this family and the $2k is a stretch and next year tickets for my family are another $200 and gas has gone up and suddenly I'm $2500 in, well, I wouldn't blame YOU but plenty of people would.

This is my opinion as well. Rather than planning a vacation with such a strict budget, I would reset their expectations. If it isn't doable for them, it isn't doable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter