Can iphones/ipad access wifi?

kara486

Earning My Ears
All the Disney info refers to wifi being available on the ship (at a cost of course) for "wireless ready" laptops. But can ipads and iphones access that wifi as well?

Thank you!

The wifi is slow but last time on the Dream DD12 and I shared 100 minute package and exclusively used our ipads and her ipod touch without any problems (save the slow connection). We only used wifi in our room and were on deck 12, so maybe someone else can chime in with how reception is on other decks.

We were on the Fantasy in December with a stateroom on Deck 8 and we had no problems. It was slow but other than that, no problems. We used a tablet, ipod and BB.

Thank you!

We'll be on the Magic but hopefully the wifi works the same way. Our kids will be thrilled to up their photos to instragram in the moment. ha ha

The wifi on the ships is extremely show and you'll spend most of your minutes just trying to log on. IMHO it's not worth it until something can be done to increase internet speed.

Last year on the Fantasy, the wifi was much better than I had expected. I would equate it to 3G speeds on your cell. My wife continued her daily Facebook-ing and I read the news on my ipad. No problems whatsoever. Maybe better since it was the new ship?

We were on a 3 night cruise on the Dream in Oct '11. We had 100 minutes of wifi. I spent most of that time just trying to get logged into the system and kept getting logged out. Our surprise sea day, could not dock at CC, was even slower for wifi because I am sure everyone else was going online. I was using my iPad.

Turn off the phones, pads etc. You are going a once in a life time adventure. Walked past the terminals on Magic in back of promenade lounge and only saw a hand full of people on them.

Spend the time with your kids, grandchildren, or friends. Their is more to do on board ship that can be done.

We chose to stay connected due to family health issues at home (but I turned off my work email!). As noted above, yes, i-phones will connect but WARNING: If you do not log out (go to logout.com if you can't find the button) but just turn off your Wifi, you're still connected. DH did this (twice!!!) before going to bed which burned through our minutes. I have (mostly) forgiven him now.

Having said that, it really wasn't that slow - we were mostly just checking email, making sure family members were doing OK. I did upload a few photos, and that was slow, so I just didn't do a lot.

(We were on the Fantasy, if that matters.)

I bought the 100 minute package in January and made it last for the 7 night cruise with no problem. I like to keep in touch with friends, and yes, work. It's no big deal, and it doesn't distract from the fun, I've noticed that some people seem to be offended by this, to each their own. I was pleasantly surprised with the speed, considering that its a satellite connection. I was also pleased that on the Dream and Fantasy the wifi is available basically everywhere. Could someone chime in about the wifi availability of wifi on Magic and Wonder? The last time I was on those the wifi was available only in specific areas, I'm wondering if it has been upgraded since then.

Turn off the phones, pads etc. You are going a once in a life time adventure. Walked past the terminals on Magic in back of promenade lounge and only saw a hand full of people on them.

Spend the time with your kids, grandchildren, or friends. Their is more to do on board ship that can be done.

While I agree in theory there are many reasons not all of us can be out of contact for a week. I have to check in daily with home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter