Can I walk the Castaway Cay 5K?

disneyjunebug

Three greatest guys in the world: Bill Nye, Micke
I just had a Total Ankle Replacement and my running days are over. I am starting to distance walk hopefully next month and should be able to walk a 5K by October when my son and I do 3-night cruise on the Dream. I would love to try to walk it and get the certificate. Is this possible? It would give me something to work towards!

Thanks!

I just had a Total Ankle Replacement and my running days are over. I am starting to distance walk hopefully next month and should be able to walk a 5K by October when my son and I do 3-night cruise on the Dream. I would love to try to walk it and get the certificate. Is this possible? It would give me something to work towards!

Thanks!

Just ran it last week. The CMs only stay for an hour or so after it starts, and they checked us off as we came in. They gave us a medal at the finish, and a certificate was waiting in my room later. So as long as you can make it by then, you'll be good. Even if you don't finish in time, you'll have the bib they give you at the start which is a cool souvenir.

FYI, it's a decent walk from the ship to the starting line too, probably a 1/3 -1/2 mile or so?

Have fun!!!

I've not done the race yet, but if they stay for an hour, that is a ton of time. Walkers usually finish a 5k in between 40 and 45 minutes. I just looked at the results for the running club's 5ks last year (many of which are billed as run/walk) and the slowest finish time in any of them was 52 minutes.

Yes, you can walk it. But as PP said, the CMs only stay for about an hour after the start. And, to let you know, when I ran it in November, I didn't get any kind of certificate or medal. So if you're doing it for a certificate or medal, there might be a chance that you won't get one. You will still get a bib though. It's a lot of fun!

We had walkers in our 5K. Not a problem at all. No medal though... which cruise was that on? I hear they do more for the 5K on the longer cruises. Ours was a 3-night.

We had walkers in our 5K. Not a problem at all. No medal though... which cruise was that on? I hear they do more for the 5K on the longer cruises. Ours was a 3-night.

4 night 1/29 Dream. I wasn't expecting it, (I did it to try to run off the food I was eating!) but was happy to get it at the finish line, since the rest of my family was moving slow that morning at hadn't even disembarked yet!! :sad2:

About 40 or so folks did it ---good group!

The math: You'd have to walk faster than 3 mph to finish a 5k in an hour.

I walked it in October. The CM's warned us that they had to leave early for some training; so they were long gone by the time I was done. No certificate or medals, but did get a bib. This was on a 4-night Dream cruise.

I did the 5k on the 4-night Bahamas cruise in January. We didn't get a medal, but I saved my bib. You'll have to be able to walk a mile in about 19 minutes (19:20 to be precise) to finish a 5k in an hour. I'll be doing the 5k on the 7-night Western Caribbean in December - fingers crossed for a medal!

I have done the 5k on 4 night Wonder, 3 night wonder, 4 night Dream and 7 night Magic cruises and have never gotten a bib, metal or certificate. I hope to get one sometime in the future.

On our last April 4 night Dream cruise they had both a 5 k run (starting point near the bike rental hut) and a 5 k walk (starting point at the dock). The run started a little before the walk, so we had walkers in the run as well. I do not know if they still do both, but you could walk either. The range of speeds run is quite variable, so no matter how fast you go, there is a good chance you will be around someone else. My wife walked as fast as some of the runners, and often walks on the "run".

When do you sign up for the 5K? onboard? And about what time does it start, I know it's early, just wondering how early.

Thanks everyone! I hope they have one on my 3-night Dream in October! I'm walking (on the treadmill at physical therapy) at about 2 mph right now, so hopefully I'll be up to the right speed (and distance!) by October!

When do you sign up for the 5K? onboard? And about what time does it start, I know it's early, just wondering how early.

You don't have to sign up, just show up near the bike rental hut. We started about 9:00-9:15. But that probably is dependent on when you dock.

P1000895.jpg

The bike rental hut is on the right.

You don't have to sign up, just show up near the bike rental hut. We started about 9:00-9:15. But that probably is dependent on when you dock.
Really? I always thought the 5k started before everyone else was allowed off the ship.

Really? I always thought the 5k started before everyone else was allowed off the ship.

Guests are not allowed off the ship until it's cleared by local authorities, which is usually 9am for CC, most people don't get off until about 10am however, so you will be one of the first people off, but they can't let you off until they can let everyone off. if that makes sense.

We were on the Magic 1/21-1/28 and there was a sign up from 9:30 to 9:45 at Diversion and then we went over to the start as a group. There were both runners and walkers in the group. I am more of a shuffler and finished in 40 minutes and there were several people still behind me. The CM was still there handing out medals. I am guessing the sign up is so they can distribute the magical moments certificates later in the day.

On this day, they started allowing everyone off the ship around 8:30. I was one of the first off and by the time I walked all the way to the bike rental hut, it was almost 9:00. There were others getting off the ship also that weren't running.
Maybe they do the sign ups when they are planning on handing out medals/certificates? I wish they were a little more consistent about that.

On the 1/8 Dream cruise, we had to meet in 687 (I'm not sure about the time, but it might have been 8:30) to get our bibs, which were our souvenir, though there might have been a Magical Moments certificate, too. We then all walked out together to the Bike Rental place for the start. It's really nice that they have an official race clock, too.

Now I am looking forward to the 5k next month to see if these are permanent changes. On our previous cruises we never got anything for doing it, no bib, no certificate, nothing. A cast member did send a note to our room so my daughter could get the mileage credit at school last year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter