Can I use an old Amazon box to transport FE's w/ a luggage tag?

itzkelly

Mouseketeer
I'm packing up now for our cruise on Friday and realize my FE's take up a lot more space than I thought! I have a large Amazon box that would fit everything, and was wondering if I sealed the box and wrote our name/cabin info on it, as well as securely taped one of the Disney luggage tags they sent, would that do the trick to get it to our room? The box is too cumbersome to carry on.

Thanks!

Definitely! You can put your room number/luggage tag on just about anything (except restricted items, obviously) and have them show up in your room. We have done this with a large case of bottled water.

Definitely! You can put your room number/luggage tag on just about anything (except restricted items, obviously) and have them show up in your room. We have done this with a large case of bottled water.

I've always understood that liquids were one of this things the were not supposed to be checked. They need to go with you as carry on. I did a quick search of the Disney cruise site and could not find the that restriction mentioned

Yes, you can box up your FEs and check them with the porters. Make sure your box is sturdy, and the contents are very well packed and protected. Checked items are not handled gently, so if you have beverages or breakables in the FEs, you'll need to find a way to carry-on at least those items.

Enjoy your cruise!

I did a quick search of the Disney cruise site and could not find the that restriction mentioned
Actually, it is:
beverages must be packed in carry-on (not checked) bags or luggage.
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/prohibited-items/carrying-alcohol-onboard/

Anyway, back to the original question
I'm packing up now for our cruise on Friday and realize my FE's take up a lot more space than I thought! I have a large Amazon box that would fit everything, and was wondering if I sealed the box and wrote our name/cabin info on it, as well as securely taped one of the Disney luggage tags they sent, would that do the trick to get it to our room? The box is too cumbersome to carry on.

Thanks!
I'll just point out that luggage (checked) is not handled in the most gentle of manners. Here's a picture of one of the luggage staging areas onboard (and, yes, the bags were basically tossed onto the pile):
fantasy 2013 Luggage Holding.jpg

So, please make sure there are no liquids or breakables in your box.

Actually, it is:
beverages must be packed in carry-on (not checked) bags or luggage.
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/prohibited-items/carrying-alcohol-onboard/

I had seen that FAQ on the DCL site, but that seems to be only talking about the wine or beer that you are allowed to take on board. It doesn't seem to cover the case of water that a previous poster said that they had tagged. I've seen the piles of luggage so personally I wouldn't check a case of water even if Disney didn't require it to be checked.

I had seen that FAQ on the DCL site, but that seems to be only talking about the wine or beer that you are allowed to take on board. It doesn't seem to cover the case of water that a previous poster said that they had tagged. I've seen the piles of luggage so personally I wouldn't check a case of water even if Disney didn't require it to be checked.
There used to be another spot (on the "old" website) that said that "beverages" must be in carry on bags. But when they changed the alcohol policy, they removed that, and changed the wording on the spot where the alcohol policy is so that it seems to only apply to wine and beer.

It used to say: Please be advised: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage.

I wish they would be a bit more specific that all beverages must be carried on, like it used to state.

There used to be another spot (on the "old" website) that said that "beverages" must be in carry on bags. But when they changed the alcohol policy, they removed that, and changed the wording on the spot where the alcohol policy is so that it seems to only apply to wine and beer.

It used to say: Please be advised: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage.

I wish they would be a bit more specific that all beverages must be carried on, like it used to state.

Time to update your references for this then Princess.
Or you personally petition dcl to make them in line with the old standards.
Otherwise, it is open to interpretation.

That's odd. When we showed up with a case of water, the porter insisted that we check it and was happy to do so. We didn't even have any luggage tags, so he taped a piece of paper on it with our stateroom number. We received it with no sign of wear or tear. If I had to lug a pack of water around with me, chances are, it's not coming with us.

That's odd. When we showed up with a case of water, the porter insisted that we check it and was happy to do so. We didn't even have any luggage tags, so he taped a piece of paper on it with our stateroom number. We received it with no sign of wear or tear. If I had to lug a pack of water around with me, chances are, it's not coming with us.
One note - the porters work for the port, not DCL. They're happy to "make things easier for you", since it likely means a better tip.

was wondering if I sealed the box and wrote our name/cabin info on it, as well as securely taped one of the Disney luggage tags they sent, would that do the trick to get it to our room? The box is too cumbersome to carry on.

We just did this last month on the magic. used an old amazon box, put our FEs in it, wrote our name and stateroom number on each side along with "fragile", and taped a luggage tag to it. we checked it with the porters. it was the last thing to arrive in our room, but it arrived unscathed.

we also used it to get the FE gifts we received home; we kept tape with us so we could re-seal the box and tape the debarkation luggage tag to it, put it in the hall with our luggage, and picked it up in the terminal. it was not placed on the luggage carousel but rather in a corner with other specialty items (instruments, sports stuff, etc - people bring some crazy stuff on cruises!), so if you don't see it at first, ask. this was in miami.

You certainly can ... my DW and sister surprised me with a surprise birthday "Say It in Color Tin & Tower" package from the Popcorn Factory at our stay at the Portofino before the cruise ... there was one tier missing so the Factory sent a SECOND package ... so we had these two huge boxes (11 x 11 x 22 " high) that we took with us to the Port .. got them tagged by the porters and voila ... they appeared safe and sound in our stateroom later ...

We sailed on the Magic last week. Once again, we bought a large package of bottled water and put a luggage tag on it. Once again, it arrived in our stateroom in perfect condition.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter