Can I transfer a 2013 cruise to 2014 when the dates are released?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by topsy, Sep 30, 2012.

1. topsy

topsy Mouseketeer

Hi,

You may have read before that I am desperate to book the Alaska crusie for our Honeymoon in 2014, but I am becoming more concerned that Disney just might not return to Alaska after 2013.

The lovely folks at Dreams Unlimited have given me a good quote for the cruise in September 2013 which I am tempted to book just in case. My fiance has agreed that we can make the trip in 2013 our reverse Honeymoon...having the trip before our Wedding!

My question is:

If I go ahead and book the 2013 cruise and then find that Disney release dates for a 2014 Alaska cruise, can I change my dates? If I can, how easy will it be and will I have to pay any more upfront?

If we go next year, in 2013, I'm worried I won't be able to go on great excursions as our saving time will have been cut from 2 years to just one. Along with paying for a Wedding, we might have to go on the cheapest/most basic excusrions!!

Thank you :)

2. bats

bats Enjoying Bahama Mama's

You should be able to change the date, but I don't use DU as my TA so best to check .. I think they will allow it though. My TA doesn't charge for a date change so I can't think why others would!

My mum went to Alaska, not on DCL, but said it was the most amazing cruise ever (she's done a fair few) ... She did plenty of excursions though so if you can't do those, perhaps a rethink?
    Hope you manage to sort something out? Perhaps ask for friends and family to buy towards your excursions rather than the normal wedding gifts of pots and pans! I would find the cost of the excursions I wanted to go on, break them down into sensible amounts of money (say $20-30 bits), then offer those up as presents on your gift list too!

3. sayhello

sayhello Have Camera, Will Travel Moderator

As long as you haven't passed the paid in full date for your 2013 cruise, you can basically cancel your 2013 reservation & rebook for 2014. You'll be paying whatever the 2014 prices are at that time, not the 2013 prices you book now. You can probably transfer the deposit rather than get a refund and pay again, but DU could tell you that. And if the 2014 date costs more, your deposit might go up a bit.

If you *have* passed the paid in full date when the 2014 dates come out (although I think that's unlikely) then you'd pay a cancellation penalty. The amount depends on just how close to your sail date you are.

Sayhello