Can I ship food down prior to my visit?

Honey_Belly

Earning My Ears
I've heard that people send food down to their resort a few days before arriving -- that way they don't have to go out shopping, etc.

I don't have a whole lot (mostly water and snacks) -- but I wanted to make sure you could send the food/water down and I could pick it up at check in.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

I would think that it would be expensive to ship down water & snacks. The water is heavy. It may not be worth it. You would spend more on shipping than on buying water there. If you look on the back of your ressie sheet, it states not to use the address until you check in. But if you want to be 100% sure on the answer, call the hotel directly & they will let you know.

You absolutely can ship food to your resort....check online with the transit of your choice to determine when to ship...you should time your shipment arrival to within a day of your check-in...
You need to put your name on the package...date of check-in...and of course address it to your hotel....

I would not recommend shipping beverages...as the previous poster indicated....you will be spending much more in shipping charges...

DO...send ahead all other food items...(non-perishable) that you wish!!

Don't know if you are using a towncar service from the airport to your hotel.....if so....you could arrange for a 30 minute grocery stop...and purchase your beverages...non-perishable items at that time.

If you're thinking of shipping food, netgrocer.com might be easier and about the same or cheaper than mailing stuff from home (b/c their shipping costs are based on total cost, not weight).

I'm thinking of doing this instead of stopping for the 30 minute towncar stop and checked out their site. Groceries aren't discounted, but the prices are ok, and shipping costs aren't too bad either (I'm thinking $8 for $50 of groceries...).

I shipped a box to my resort ahead of time with no problem. I did call the resort first to verify that they would accept it. They said no problem and they gave me the address to ship it to (it was slightly different than the address shown on my reservation, although either address may have worked). They told me to address it to: “Resort Guest ‘your name here’ “ Arrival date : mm/dd/yy then put in the resort name and address. When I checked in, they had a note in my file that they were holding a package for me and offered to bring it out to me or have bell services deliver it to the room.

I sent my box by UPS ground, that was cheaper than USPS (later I saw on one of the posts on this site that the USPS doesn’t deliver to the resorts, but UPS, FedEx and someone else does, you might check with your resort to find out who delivers to them). I shipped my box so that it arrived 3 days before we left home, that way I could use the tracking number and confirm that the package arrived and have the name of the person who accepted it….I figured if there was problem, UPS would have a couple of days to locate the package before I left home (it arrived on schedule, no problem).

Shipping the items ahead worked out great for me.

I just shipped one on Monday, it was a heavy box, about 35 in X 35 in. It cost about 18.00. That with 200.00 in insurance. UPS.

My cost was in that range also. The cost depends on the zip code you are shipping from/to, weight and box dimensions and the service you choose (regular ground, next day delivery, etc). To save some money, check your overall box dimensions (length + width + height) and make sure your package doesn't fall into the 'oversize' category, or you will pay a surcharge. You can go to the website for FedEx and UPS and they tell you how to measure your package and they have calculators that let you put in the from/to zip codes, package weight and dimensions, additional insurance (if desired...I think they are automatically insured for $100)....it will calculate the shipping cost and also show you how many days the package will take to arrive.

Just an idea.... Staples offers free shipping for over $50. I believe they carry bottled water. Of course, nobody would probably need THAT much water, but if you can find some other "office snack" type items that would serve you well on vacation, or even save up a major purchase (such as color inkjet cartridge for the printer - expensive but small), then you can go over the $50 threshold for free shipping.

Disnee Dad Says.................................We pack a cooler with dry goods, and carry it on the plane. It comes back full of souvenirs. Cost to ship , ZERO. Why pay to send it when you can bring it free? Our trip in November we were even one bag short of our limit of carryons, and we never check baggage. It was a little hard for the ten day trips but the 8 day one, no problem at all.

I believe that the airlines are starting to crack down on food inside checked baggage... because of security measures, etc. You may want to check with your carrier before showing up at the airport with a box full of food in tow...

Just an update --

Shipping worked out great, and the CBR cast members easily found my packages when I checked in.

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter