Can I join my family in the Kilimanjaro line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
. If you take a child for a potty break and return, you are rejoining your original place, and not cutting. What op is talking about is blatant line cutting and in mho is wrong.

I agree that meeting your group after you pull a fast pass is wrong- but I kind of don't understand the potty break exception either. It seems blatantly unfair to single parents. So if you came as a group, you can "double dip" by line waiting and potty breaking at the same time. But if you are a single parent with your child, you can't do these things at the same time. You'd be stuck getting at the back of the line, whether you had to delay getting into the line or if you had to leave the line for the potty break.

I certainly wouldn't say anything- but it still doesn't seem 'fair'.

Unless your with a kid that has to use the bathroom(or an old relative), or had a real problem. Than I really don't care. But if your purposely using that time to go get fastpasses that you usually wouldn't have, had you been waiting inline with your family. Thats you playing the system and I see an issue with that. So yeah IMO it's wrong and if I saw you with fastpass in hand trying to move past me I would probably say something not very nice. Just think about other guests, it's rude. Can't wait till fast pass legacy is gone.

All it takes is one person to block your path back to your family. Your best bet will be to have your family wait for you outside the queue. They'll have to park the stroller anyway, so you probably won't be but a few minutes more. And you won't encounter much of a wait when you get in line 15 minutes after the park opens.

You don't park your stroller at the safari ride. You use it in line and they take it from you right close to the front of the line and put it in a special stroller area.

I agree that meeting your group after you pull a fast pass is wrong- but I kind of don't understand the potty break exception either. It seems blatantly unfair to single parents. So if you came as a group, you can "double dip" by line waiting and potty breaking at the same time. But if you are a single parent with your child, you can't do these things at the same time. You'd be stuck getting at the back of the line, whether you had to delay getting into the line or if you had to leave the line for the potty break.

I certainly wouldn't say anything- but it still doesn't seem 'fair'.

If I were in line, and a single parent said to me that he/she had to take a child to the restroom, I would have no problem maintaining that person's place in line (I can't speak for anyone else around me).

Your example of the single parent illustrates a point I have made in response to people who think the FP- system is inherently equally "fair" to everyone. People who can get around faster, especially those who can employ a FP runner, can take advantage of the system more than others.

Regardless of the above debate, if your family heads to Safari immediately and you head to EE to grab FPs, your family would most likely already be on a Safari vehicle on the ride before you could grab the FP and get back over there. The vehicles fit a lot of people and the loading is pretty fast in the morning when things first get going. Even if they weren't already on the ride, they would be very near the front of the line, and it would be very hard to get to where they were.

I agree with this. Especially of you are not very familiar with the park layout. I know my way around without any maps but I really don't think that I could go to EE while the rest of the family went to KS and make it back there before they were on the ride , at rope drop it just moves too fast.

I agree with everyone else--please do not cut in line to catch up to your family.

We went to AK with a baby last week and had no use for a FP for EE. We each took turns riding single rider. Took each one of us about 10 minutes to wait in line and ride. Just an option to think about.

Also, if your party rides the safari first thing, then heads to EE, I'd imagine the FP return times wouldn't be too far out.

delmar411 said:
Having had to join my family at the safari line (my MIL didnt get the message to wait before she entered the line) and being uncomfortable pushing past people, my solution was to wait for them at the stroller drop off point and join them as they hit that point. That way I didn't push past anyone and the CMs saw me waiting there the whole time and had no issue letting me join the rest of the family. That might be your best solution if they are in the line more than a family or two ahead of you.

This is a great solution

BadgerGirl84 said:
Also, if your party rides the safari first thing, then heads to EE, I'd imagine the FP return times wouldn't be too far out.

We also found this to be true in October.

Meh, I guess I'm on the "I don't care" camp. One person going ahead to meet up with someone isn't a big deal to me.

For the most part, Disney takes a "Laissez-Faire" approach to queues. Many other parks have VERY strict policies against line cutting and don't even allow someone to re-enter the line if they have to leave it for ANY reason (to include bathroom break). I've seen people removed from lines and even ejected from parks for cutting in other places.

Even though Disney basically does nothing to deter this behavior, some of your fellow patrons will. My observation has been that the Disney population is pretty evenly divided:

1/3 don't care if someone cuts in the line. They assume it was either a potty break or they just figure it's "only one person" so who cares?

1/3 don't like it but are "not going to let it ruin my vacation" so they just put up with it.

1/3 will actively try to prevent people from getting ahead of them in the line and will report the offender to a CM.

FP+ will soon make the FP runner obsolete. In fact, this is probably the real reason for getting rid of FP-. It solves the problem of rampant line-cutting by FP runners. :rotfl2:

OP here. This was certainly interesting.

Here in Manhattan, it is very common for a single person to get in line, and hold a place for his or her entire party.

Anyone who thinks that this is not acceptable behavior is likely to feel like a sucker as they watch the line expand in front of them. (Not that long ago I waited in line for the rain room at MOMA, and on average each person waiting in line had two people join them later. Everyone understood that this was acceptable, including the staff who actively managed the line, and supported this behavior.)

I can think of a few exceptions (SNL) where there is active enforcement of a one person / one spot policy. But those really are exceptions that prove the rule.

What I have learned from this threads is that this behavior is not OK at WDW. WDW has a policy against it, but that policy is not enforced.

I've also learned that my family is only likely to lose 5 or 10 minutes while waiting for me, so this isn't nearly as big a deal as I thought it would be.

As someone mentioned you won't make it back in time.
If you are there when the park opens the line for the safari doesn't really stop moving.

If I were in line, and a single parent said to me that he/she had to take a child to the restroom, I would have no problem maintaining that person's place in line (I can't speak for anyone else around me).

Your example of the single parent illustrates a point I have made in response to people who think the FP- system is inherently equally "fair" to everyone. People who can get around faster, especially those who can employ a FP runner, can take advantage of the system more than others.

We have done this before. No problem.

If, as soon as the park opens, my family heads directly to the safari, while I pick up fast passes from Expedition Everest and then join them, will I be able to join them in the safari line, or will there be something blocking me?

(They won't be the first in line at the safari, because we'll be rolling a baby carriage).

Thanks.

So...are you staying offsite or onsite? If you are staying on Disney property, why not use fastpass+ and go ahead and reserve them so you dont have to worry about it?

I don't really think it will be enforced but it isn't usually appreciated. I don't really like when people do that, but for the most part I don't let it bother me too much. People may give you a hard time about getting ahead though.

Put me in the camp of not caring.

The only time it annoys the crap out of me is when it's 5+ people moving to catch up.

Nothing is fair for single parents. But they shouldn't expect it. I went to Star Wars weekend solo with my son. We waited for an hour and a half for the hyperspace hoopla show to start, and had a potty break right before. Nevertheless- he needed the potty right before the show. I had to go with him- a group with two parents would have been able to save the spot. I tried, but when I got back there were people sitting in my spot. Moved my blanket and everything. Sucks- but that's life. Potty breaks are exceptions in lines. That's it. Try to avoid them, but can't always.

What I have learned from this threads is that this behavior is not OK at WDW. WDW has a policy against it, but that policy is not enforced.

I've also learned that my family is only likely to lose 5 or 10 minutes while waiting for me, so this isn't nearly as big a deal as I thought it would be.

:thumbsup2

I also hope you have learned that even though sometimes people get a little snarky around here, this is hands-down THE BEST resource for Disney planning and information in the Universe. If there IS an answer to your question, you will get it here. Welcome aboard!!!

A little late to the party, but you could run to EE for fp and have your family take their time and enjoy some minor sight, otherwise missed. Like sign up for wilderness explore for example. If they give you 10mins head start you should be able to meet at the entrance. I'm fine with you meeting your family in line though, just not your family of 5 meeting you while you hold the line spot. That's not too nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter