Can I get Presidents Week 2011 thru RCI trade?

I was thinking I could tell previously with some listed 8/6 but am not certain. However, if they are listed as 6 and you request 8, they will not match at all. As I noted, Hilton is very responsive to requests so I doubt it'd be a problem and it sounds like a workable for a sleep 6 regardless for the family situation.

Yes, Dean I think my MIL put in request as sleeps 6, but not sure. I will mention it to her tonight, I agree that sleeps 6 would be workable. 2 Twin beds is ok too, I guess I never thought about it before. With DVC only having the bigger beds in the 2nd bedroom, I just assumed that all timeshares had this.

Can my MIL trade out for the RCI points based timeshares or just the weeks based timeshares? When I was looking at my list on the RCI website, some of the timeshares are points based like the Hilton's, Bonnet Creek, etc. Since she owns a weeks-based timeshare, does that matter at all? I don't want to give her my waitlist for properties she can't even waitlist for. I'm thinking it doesn't matter, but I want to be sure before I give her my final list:
DVC
Oasis Lakes at the Fountains
HGVC on IDrive
HGVC @ SeaWorld
Wyndham Bonnet creek
Sheraton vistana
The Fountains
Royal Palms
Houses at Summer Bay
Cypress Harbour

With all these on my waitlist, can I be almost sure to get something for presidents week 2011? Thank you so very much to all of you who have offered your advice and expertise! :goodvibes
Unless she own points, can't trade out for points. However, often inventory from points resorts is transferred to the weeks side so ultimately those resort are often available, esp for Orlando. The sleeping capacity in general is an area where DVC members often make assumptions that are not accurate. Kudo's to Brian for bringing it to the forefront for that where it matters. There are so many nuances to timeshare trading that a complete post covering every detail would be enormous and really impossible. My list for one without a car would be different in case others are looking. I personally would not list Vistana in this situation given your chances of getting the others is so high and that would be the lowest resort overall, others might add a couple to the list as well, YMMV.

If your mother-in-law won't be with you on the trip, don't forget to purchase the RCI Guest Certificate ($59.00) so you won't have any trouble checking in. One of my brother's has the same name as my dad so he doesn't have to ever purchase Guest Certificates when he uses my parent's timeshare on trades (one of the few times having the same name works to his advantage).

If your mother-in-law won't be with you on the trip, don't forget to purchase the RCI Guest Certificate ($59.00) so you won't have any trouble checking in.
I'd wait though and check with the resort. I've never had to purchase a guest certificate for a family or friend, DVC included. I just call the resort and ask if I can add them to the reservation and if they'll be able to check in. I've never had anyone ultimately say no. In one occassion I was told no on one phone call and the names were added on a separate phone call. This past year I gave each of my staff a week. So 4 weeks with 2 at Harbour Lakes, 1 at Grande Vista and one at Westage Gatlinburg, in all cases I was able to add them without paying for a certificate. I knew Marriott normally would but was surprised that Westgate did.

I'd wait though and check with the resort. I've never had to purchase a guest certificate for a family or friend, DVC included. I just call the resort and ask if I can add them to the reservation and if they'll be able to check in. I've never had anyone ultimately say no. In one occassion I was told no on one phone call and the names were added on a separate phone call. This past year I gave each of my staff a week. So 4 weeks with 2 at Harbour Lakes, 1 at Grande Vista and one at Westage Gatlinburg, in all cases I was able to add them without paying for a certificate. I knew Marriott normally would but was surprised that Westgate did.

That's good to know.

That's good to know.
It's very handy for some of us to save a few dollars, esp when you're trying to be nice to family/friends, etc. Given Westagate's reputation I was prepared for them to say no and that I'd have to spring for the certificate. They were the easiest to do so. I explained I was giving this week to a coworker as a gift and asked if I could add their names to check in. Not only was it an easy yes, the guy gave me Kudo's for doing so, I believe his word's were "that's a very nice thing for you to do". They had a great time. BTW, Westgate is one of the few that will allow pets though most don't advertise it from a timeshare standpoint. They normally charge a non refundable fee in the $60-80 range and they all handle it a little differently.

Unless she own points, can't trade out for points. However, often inventory from points resorts is transferred to the weeks side so ultimately those resort are often available, esp for Orlando. The sleeping capacity in general is an area where DVC members often make assumptions that are not accurate. Kudo's to Brian for bringing it to the forefront for that where it matters. There are so many nuances to timeshare trading that a complete post covering every detail would be enormous and really impossible. My list for one without a car would be different in case others are looking. I personally would not list Vistana in this situation given your chances of getting the others is so high and that would be the lowest resort overall, others might add a couple to the list as well, YMMV.

How come no Vistana on your list, even though it will be almost if not fully refurbished by 2011? Is it in a different class of resorts? I know, I'm picking your brain. And, what does YMMV mean??

How come no Vistana on your list, even though it will be almost if not fully refurbished by 2011? Is it in a different class of resorts? I know, I'm picking your brain. And, what does YMMV mean??
Your Mileage May Vary. IMO it's still below the others even with the a complete refurbishment. Not far below but just enough. If I thought you'd have trouble getting something I would have added it and a couple of others. If you list that resort you'll amost certainly get it.

Orange LAke Country Club has 3 or 4 different sections, so she has to add all of the numbers into the search. It is a large propoerty with a lot of availability. The units are nice and they have very good pool areas, lots of activities. It is a short drive to WDW via the back road--the property pretty much backs to AKL--the location is great for going to WDW. Also, many resorts have gotten VERY strict about the guest certificates--you should definitely call in advance to find out if you need one. I agree that you MIL might not have enough pull for DVC, so I would go with one of the others. She should be able to get something in the next month or so--as owners have to pay annual fees (due in Jan/Feb) before depositing weeks. Elaine

Orange LAke Country Club has 3 or 4 different sections, so she has to add all of the numbers into the search. It is a large propoerty with a lot of availability. The units are nice and they have very good pool areas, lots of activities. It is a short drive to WDW via the back road--the property pretty much backs to AKL--the location is great for going to WDW. Also, many resorts have gotten VERY strict about the guest certificates--you should definitely call in advance to find out if you need one. I agree that you MIL might not have enough pull for DVC, so I would go with one of the others. She should be able to get something in the next month or so--as owners have to pay annual fees (due in Jan/Feb) before depositing weeks. Elaine
We stayed there following a stay the the Tuscany Hilton, I would not stay there again unless I didn't have other options. Not bad, just not up to the other standards, IMO. IF I listed it, I would likely only list River Island. Now if I were set on a 3 BR, that might be a different matter given the lower numbers of those available.

We have stayed 2X at HGVC-Seaworld, 3X at OLCC and 2X at Vistana--on RCI trades, and IMHO, OLCC is at least on par with Vistana, if not a bit better. Since Vistana is on the list, I suggested OLCC, esp. for the great access to WDW. I agree that the OLCC units are not as nice as HGVC, and the low rise OLCC used to be the pits (I have read). But those were all gutted and redone, granite, etc. I would also place HGVC a step up from Vistana, as well. Elaine

We have stayed 2X at HGVC-Seaworld, 3X at OLCC and 2X at Vistana--on RCI trades, and IMHO, OLCC is at least on par with Vistana, if not a bit better. Since Vistana is on the list, I suggested OLCC, esp. for the great access to WDW. I agree that the OLCC units are not as nice as HGVC, and the low rise OLCC used to be the pits (I have read). But those were all gutted and redone, granite, etc. I would also place HGVC a step up from Vistana, as well. Elaine
That's why neither were on my recommended list because I feel they are inferior to the other group overall. At least with OLCC (Holiday Inn), you can specify the section. It's not that either are bad though and were I not confident the OP could get better options, I would have included both along with Silver Lake most likely, esp if a 3 BR unit were needed.

My mil said that when she spoke to the rci person, he told her that presidents week should be available at Okw and Ssr, so I'm hoping he knows what he is talking about. As far as I know, my mil didn't check to see if there were any nov/dec properties available, her response to my request was that she spoke with rci and they told her the above. Didn't want to push it. But, I gave her my list for her to set-up (which she will do via a phone call, not online because I don't think she knows how online), that makes me nervous, hope they get all the requests in right. I think I will wait it out thru summer to see if I get Dvc, if not then I'll take something else. If something other than Dvc matches up before summer, I think I might turn it down, we'll just play it by ear. If we get stuck with something we don't care for, that's just another reason for us to continue saving for Dvc, we can always use my mil's timeshare for another week, just not presidents week (when we love so much staying Dvc). Something that bugs me about using her timeshare is that she is doing all the planning, I love to do that and it's killing me that I can't get on that rci site. :sad2:

My mil said that when she spoke to the rci person, he told her that presidents week should be available at Okw and Ssr, so I'm hoping he knows what he is talking about. As far as I know, my mil didn't check to see if there were any nov/dec properties available, her response to my request was that she spoke with rci and they told her the above. Didn't want to push it. But, I gave her my list for her to set-up (which she will do via a phone call, not online because I don't think she knows how online), that makes me nervous, hope they get all the requests in right. I think I will wait it out thru summer to see if I get Dvc, if not then I'll take something else. If something other than Dvc matches up before summer, I think I might turn it down, we'll just play it by ear. If we get stuck with something we don't care for, that's just another reason for us to continue saving for Dvc, we can always use my mil's timeshare for another week, just not presidents week (when we love so much staying Dvc). Something that bugs me about using her timeshare is that she is doing all the planning, I love to do that and it's killing me that I can't get on that rci site. :sad2:
It's definitely true that there's a break in trade power between resorts. From what I've seen there is a break between OKW/SSR, then BWV/VWL, then AKV/BCV. We don't yet know about BLT, Disney tends not to deposit new resorts early in the process. If you're thinking about canceling any given match, I'd remove it from the list now and add it back in later if need be. Normally I'd really push you to only list DVC and see what happens but I'd get a little nervous doing that for 3 weeks (President's week, Easter & Xmas). Every resort on my recommended list is comparable OVERALL or VERY close to DVC including the units. The one that is truly different is the Houses at Summer Bay, a little further out and just a different animal being a 3 BR house many with their own pool and whirlpool. I do get a little nervous when you're working through someone who isn't that well versed on the process and may be trying to exert more control than you're comfortable with though I'm sure things will work out. Let us know what ultimately happens.

My mil's reply to my email with all the properties to waitlist was "thanks, I'll see what I can do". What's that mean, how hard is it to make a phone call and get them on the list! Better yet, just give me my member number so I can do it myself, sorry for complaining, and thanks to you Dean and all the others who have offered their advice and opinions. Keep you posted

President's Week 2011 at Sheraton Vistana is showing up on RCI's site as a cash rental (Extra Vacation) - a 2 bedroom is $611.99 for the week. Actually, I don't think that's a bad price for a President's Week rental.

Just wanted to let you all know I finally found out what my mil owns. It's the Vacation Village at Bonaventure in Weston Fl (ft lauderdale), it's rci #4025

Just wanted to let you all know I finally found out what my mil owns. It's the Vacation Village at Bonaventure in Weston Fl (ft lauderdale), it's rci #4025
You should likely go to TUG (Timeshare Users Group) and try to figure out if other owners there are able to see DVC. Off the cuff I'd be surprised if they were but don't know for sure. I know a lot of the owners there are RCI points which should get you into DVC during that time if she is. With that additional info and knowing the week you're looking for, I'd amend my initial recommendations to list at least a few more than DVC. Hopefully she owns Xmas, NY or a Feb/March week which are the highest demand time for that area and she deposited early, at least 10 months out. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Ok, thanks for all the help, it's appreciated. I'll keep you posted as to what finally happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter