Can I get Presidents Week 2011 thru RCI trade?

Alisha&Jay

Disney Fanatic
Hi there, just wondering... My MIL has an RCI timeshare (don't know where, but she said it's coded as Red, whatever that means). She told me I can use it for my family of 6 for Presidents week 2011 to stay at or near WDW (this is when we want to vacation). We were former DVC members, so we have stayed plenty of times in the DVC villas. My question is this- is it ever possible to book DVC thru an RCI trade for this week, in a 2 bedroom villa anywhere on property? my MIL checked availability for that week, and she booked me at the Sheraton Vistana in a 2 bedroom, appparantly nothing was available on property for the dates I gave her? My vacation will be from 2/19/11 to 2/26/11. She didn't give me her access info for the RCI website, so i couldn't check myself, bummer. Thanks.

Possible but unlikely to get that week. Depending on what she's trading there would be a real but low chance of getting that particular week assuming you'd take any resort. Vistana Villages is very nice though there are others I'd prefer. One of the reasons that's all that was available is that many of the better choices don't deposit this far out. For RCI I'd put DVC, then the Hiltons, Bonnet Creek, then The Fountains, then the Marriott's in RCI followed by Houses at Summer Bay then Vistana Villages. There are a number of other good places to stay but these are the top ones in RCI that I can think of right now. Realistically you should be able to get all but DVC and if you tried for DVC and didn't get if for a while, you should still have good choices later. She should be able to cancel until the end of business the next day without penalty. Then she can put in an ongoing search for DVC. You can add other resorts if you haven't matched at say 6 months out.

If you can't get DVC for that week (like Dean said - put in a request), I'd try for one of the Hilton Grand Vacation Cub resorts or Wyndham Bonnet Creek and then Sheraton Vistana. All of the original Sheraton Vistana should be refurbished by early 2011, so you should get a good unit. I don't think the newer Sheraton Vistana Villages is available anymore through RCI, as it's just II (Interval International) now. Of course, if you could get one of the Marriotts that are still with RCI, that would be great, too.

We recently stayed at Hilton's new Parc Soleil resort and it was fantastic. There are three Hilton vacation clubs in Orlando - Seaworld, International Drive, and the new one at Parc Soleil.

Good luck with your request.

If you can't get DVC for that week (like Dean said - put in a request), I'd try for one of the Hilton Grand Vacation Cub resorts or Wyndham Bonnet Creek and then Sheraton Vistana. All of the original Sheraton Vistana should be refurbished by early 2011, so you should get a good unit. I don't think the newer Sheraton Vistana Villages is available anymore through RCI, as it's just II (Interval International) now. Of course, if you could get one of the Marriotts that are still with RCI, that would be great, too.

We recently stayed at Hilton's new Parc Soleil resort and it was fantastic. There are three Hilton vacation clubs in Orlando - Seaworld, International Drive, and the new one at Parc Soleil.

Good luck with your request.
I see Vistana Villages all the time through RCI. Definitely do not forget the Fountains. Overall likely the nicest resort for Orlando for RCI after the Hilton's and has one of the best pool areas (mini water park) of any of the resort in the area, has a nice indoor pool (nicer than GV), etc.

this week was the 1st time to start seeing early-mid Dec 2010 DVC in RCI. It will most likely be March or even April before she could even see DVC in RCI for next Feb and DVC might not deposit that week right away and there might not be any 2 BR. It would likely be OKW or SSR, as most DVCs in RCI are those. Also, you MIL should search now and see what she can see in RCI for Nov and Dec. to make sure that she has enough trading power to even pull DVC--having a "red" week is not good enough--it also has to be a strong week (good place in high demand location, in season). If she can't see any DVCs for Nov and Dec, then forget about Feb. BUt, if she can see the DVCS, then you have to decide if you want a sure bet now (HGVC, Vistana, etc.), or wait for DVC. There would still be somewhere decent to stay if you wait until April. It just might not be your top pick. Also, with RCI, you have 24 hours to cancel, after that there are penalties--it's not like DVC where you can chagne your mind as long as there is availability. good luck. Elaine

Wow, thanks for all the info. I know virtually nothing about how RCI works. Like I said previously, we used to own DVC, but because of hard times we had to sell. Now my MIL bought this RCI timeshare and she told us we can use it every year if we want to. But, I really miss my DVC!! Anyway, it turns out my MIL wasn't able to book the Sheraton Vistana, it wasn't available when she called, I guess she looked online but maybe it's not real time availability? Not sure. But, I'm going to give her a list and she said she can put me on a waitlist for more than 1 property. Then if something becomes available I can either decide to book it or keep on waiting for something else on my list. So, that brings me to exactly what order of properties I need to give her, according to you experts (I love these forums!!!). Here's some more info about what we are looking for- it will be me, DH, and 4 kids ages 10, 8, 5, 4. We only visit WDW parks, nothing else. We drive down from CT, so we have a car to get to parks. We don't want to drive more than an avg. of 15-20 mins to the parks each day, i guess i'm saying that we don't want to be far away, like half an hour is too far. It would be fantastic if there were any properties that face the fireworks at epcot, i read one review for bonnet creek that said you could see them? Also, having some food choices onsite would be nice, like a market, although we will be cooking most meals. I will tell her:
1. DVC
2. Parc Soleil by Hilton Grand Vacations Club, Hilton Grand Vacations Club on I-Drive, or Hilton Grand Vacations Club at SeaWorld International Center
3. Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort
4. Sheraton Vistana
5. The Marriott's (what are the names of these properties exactly, so I can look them up), is it Cypress Harbour? what others exchange thru rci?
6. The Fountains

Lastly, Dean why do you put the HIltons as first on your list? I don't want to make a bad decision. I realize that as a resort becomes available, I will either have to book it, or pass it up for hopefully something better on my list. Should I go into July and then if nothing comes thru with DVC, then take what comes up with some of the other resorts?

Thanks to all who have helped me with this! I appreciate it.

this week was the 1st time to start seeing early-mid Dec 2010 DVC in RCI. It will most likely be March or even April before she could even see DVC in RCI for next Feb and DVC might not deposit that week right away and there might not be any 2 BR. It would likely be OKW or SSR, as most DVCs in RCI are those. Also, you MIL should search now and see what she can see in RCI for Nov and Dec. to make sure that she has enough trading power to even pull DVC--having a "red" week is not good enough--it also has to be a strong week (good place in high demand location, in season). If she can't see any DVCs for Nov and Dec, then forget about Feb. BUt, if she can see the DVCS, then you have to decide if you want a sure bet now (HGVC, Vistana, etc.), or wait for DVC. There would still be somewhere decent to stay if you wait until April. It just might not be your top pick. Also, with RCI, you have 24 hours to cancel, after that there are penalties--it's not like DVC where you can chagne your mind as long as there is availability. good luck. Elaine

Elaine- thanks for this info, I just posted my last reply before seeing your post. So, I will tell my MIL to go online and see if she can see any DVC for Nov and Dec.

Wow, thanks for all the info. I know virtually nothing about how RCI works. Like I said previously, we used to own DVC, but because of hard times we had to sell. Now my MIL bought this RCI timeshare and she told us we can use it every year if we want to. But, I really miss my DVC!! Anyway, it turns out my MIL wasn't able to book the Sheraton Vistana, it wasn't available when she called, I guess she looked online but maybe it's not real time availability? Not sure. But, I'm going to give her a list and she said she can put me on a waitlist for more than 1 property. Then if something becomes available I can either decide to book it or keep on waiting for something else on my list. So, that brings me to exactly what order of properties I need to give her, according to you experts (I love these forums!!!). Here's some more info about what we are looking for- it will be me, DH, and 4 kids ages 10, 8, 5, 4. We only visit WDW parks, nothing else. We drive down from CT, so we have a car to get to parks. We don't want to drive more than an avg. of 15-20 mins to the parks each day, i guess i'm saying that we don't want to be far away, like half an hour is too far. It would be fantastic if there were any properties that face the fireworks at epcot, i read one review for bonnet creek that said you could see them? Also, having some food choices onsite would be nice, like a market, although we will be cooking most meals. I will tell her:
1. DVC
2. Parc Soleil by Hilton Grand Vacations Club, Hilton Grand Vacations Club on I-Drive, or Hilton Grand Vacations Club at SeaWorld International Center
3. Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort
4. Sheraton Vistana
5. The Marriott's (what are the names of these properties exactly, so I can look them up), is it Cypress Harbour? what others exchange thru rci?
6. The Fountains

Lastly, Dean why do you put the HIltons as first on your list? I don't want to make a bad decision. I realize that as a resort becomes available, I will either have to book it, or pass it up for hopefully something better on my list. Should I go into July and then if nothing comes thru with DVC, then take what comes up with some of the other resorts?

Thanks to all who have helped me with this! I appreciate it.
You can't prioritize the list in RCI so you should only give the resorts you'd accept now then you can change the list easily later if nothing has come through. DVC resorts actually come only at 11 months out at times, even earlier a few times for resorts still in active sale. Also you want to be as close to the front of the line as possible when the units do come available, so you want to get the request in ASAP. Your aunt should be able to put the list in online and to confirm online if she has a deposit in RCI. Sounds like she may not be well versed either. Often seeing something online then calling is a recipe for missing that unit.

I think if you'll reread my posts you'll see that my listing with Hilton first was for after DVC, sorry that wasn't clear. I'd put the DVC resorts first overall but IF one were evaluating resort without location, I would put the Hilton's first. I think you need to make a fundabmental decision as to what you want and how much risk you're willing to take. Personally, I'd list all DVC resort at WDW now then have a back up list. That list would look like this for ME.

Request now - DV01, DV02, DV03, DV05, DV06, DV08, DV09 and RD01, RD02, RD03, RD05, RD06, RD08, RD09. As each resort has 2 codes. That's all the DVC resorts codes on property.

My back up list would be
Hilton Sea World - 3517
Hilton Tuscany (by outlets) - 6309
Oasis Lakes at the Fountains - 4852
The Fountains - 7605
Parc Soliel - 7979
Royals Palms (Marriott) - 1699
The Houses at Summer Bay - 6884
Vistana Villages - ?
Wyndham Bonnet Creek - 6369
Cypress Harbour (Marriott) - 2619

I do not see Vistana Villages on the list so it may be they are not giving any new deposits to RCI. There are certainly other places I'd stay at but these are where I'd draw the lines in your situation and that assumes a car as you stated. I would not list any of the other resorts on RCI's list in your situation including Vistana, Holiday Inn (Orange Lakes), other Summer Bay options, or Silver Lake Kingstown Reef, The Gardens or Vacation Villages. Though I'd stay in all of them, the others are nicer overall and I can't image you wouldn't get one. Of those I listed, the furthrest away is The Houses at Summer bay, maybe 10 miles. They are full 3 BR lake houses, many with their own private pool.

I will tell you that if you list all of these and DVC, you will almost certainly not get DVC. If you wait until about 6 months out and haven't gotten DVC, your chances are still good at getting something. Ultimately it depends on how much you want to gamble for DVC.

You do not need to add the RDXX codes to your search. Those are used only for rentals.

Also, you MIL should search now and see what she can see in RCI for Nov and Dec. to make sure that she has enough trading power to even pull DVC--having a "red" week is not good enough--it also has to be a strong week (good place in high demand location, in season). If she can't see any DVCs for Nov and Dec, then forget about Feb.
This is really important---you need to gauge the "trade power" of this deposit. If you can't see any 2BRs now, for any time period, then you won't get them for February. The next notch down is Bonnet Creek.

I'd try for one of the Hilton Grand Vacation Cub resorts or Wyndham Bonnet Creek and then Sheraton Vistana. All of the original Sheraton Vistana should be refurbished by early 2011, so you should get a good unit.
My understanding, after checking RCI's description and confirming by calling the resorts, is that the two older HGVCs may only have one bed in the second bedroom. That may or may not matter to you, but for us it removes them from consideration. The only exception is if you get a 2BR sleeps-8, but all of the 2BR deposits in Weeks seem to be coded as sleeps-6, so you might need a 3BR, and those might be hard for P-Week. I haven't called Soliel yet.

My wife and kids are going down in P-Week 2011 for a Universal and Sea World trip. I booked Vistana for them because of the easy access to I-4, the guarantee of two beds in the 2nd bedroom, and after calling the resort to verify the refurbishment schedule. According to the resort, there may still be a building or two closed during late February, but anything open to guests will be refurbished. I've looked at some of the refurbishment brochures, and they are doing a first-class job with them. Vistana had been off my list for several years, but with this update, they are back on.

DVC will start depositing units as early as late March. The latest ones will come in about six months prior---so August. Bonnet Creek will go in about 8-9 months prior, so figure May-June. HGVC isn't quite as predictable, because they tend to do larger bulk banks. They have already done 2010, through December. 2/2011 could come any day now, or they might wait months. Vistana has already come and gone for P-week '11 if you need a Saturday check-in. It's still there for Friday and Sunday---and more may be coming for Saturday. If she can't see the Friday check-in at Vsitana, you have no hope for DVC, and will have to take one of the older area resorts. Many of these are still quite serviceable.

P-Week tends to go pretty quickly at the better resorts, so you really do have to ask the bird in the hand vs. two in the bush question.

My understanding, after checking RCI's description and confirming by calling the resorts, is that the two older HGVCs may only have one bed in the second bedroom. That may or may not matter to you, but for us it removes them from consideration. The only exception is if you get a 2BR sleeps-8, but all of the 2BR deposits in Weeks seem to be coded as sleeps-6, so you might need a 3BR, and those might be hard for P-Week. I haven't called Soliel yet.
Our 2 BR at Tuscany had 2 beds in the second BR but some may have less.

After calling the resort, my understanding is that some do, but some don't, and if you are coming in through RCI, all the units are coded as sleeps six, so it would be a request, not a guarantee. It may be an issue of lock-off vs. dedicated, I'm not sure.

With all the lovely resorts in the area, this is not something I'm willing to risk, so I'd personally only take the HGVCs if I can get a 3BR there. If you don't need that second bed, though, I'd put HGVCs right up near the top of the list.

After calling the resort, my understanding is that some do, but some don't, and if you are coming in through RCI, all the units are coded as sleeps six, so it would be a request, not a guarantee. It may be an issue of lock-off vs. dedicated, I'm not sure.

With all the lovely resorts in the area, this is not something I'm willing to risk, so I'd personally only take the HGVCs if I can get a 3BR there. If you don't need that second bed, though, I'd put HGVCs right up near the top of the list.
I undestand and agree that for some it might be a deal breaker. OTOH, this resort (and system) is one of the most responsive to requests imaginable so I don't think it'd be an issue. The OP is for 6 only but I don't know the breakdown to know how they fit together. I don't have a current deposit to play with to see if you can tell from the listings which is which but I'm thinking you can tell the 8/6 from the 6/6 online. I'm also having trouble remembering whether you can specify the number traveling on the RCI weeks side but my recollection is you can only specify unit size, not number, unlike II though in II they'll only really let you list 6 for a 2 BR anyway. That's the problem with trading if you need a 2 BR that sleeps 8, you're really only limited to the resorts that only have that configuration, looking at instant matches where you can tell what you're getting or taking your chances. At least with non DVC exchanges, you can cancel in the first 24 hours.

I see Vistana Villages all the time through RCI. Definitely do not forget the Fountains. Overall likely the nicest resort for Orlando for RCI after the Hilton's and has one of the best pool areas (mini water park) of any of the resort in the area, has a nice indoor pool (nicer than GV), etc.

That's weird. I can only see Sheraton Vistana Villages in II. It's not listed in my RCI directory anymore, either. I can see the original Sheraton Vistana in RCI, though.

That's weird. I can only see Sheraton Vistana Villages in II. It's not listed in my RCI directory anymore, either. I can see the original Sheraton Vistana in RCI, though.
I just saw it yesterday on my points account but for a week coming up. May be just leftover inventory though.

I just saw it yesterday on my points account but for a week coming up. May be just leftover inventory though.

Ahh. I'm looking in weeks.

To the original poster, I'd definitely have your mother-in-law check and see if she can see any DVC units at all in RCI. If she can't pull DVC at all (check the sitings over on Tug or Timeshareforums), then I'd move on to Plan B for the next best thing.

I don't have a current deposit to play with to see if you can tell from the listings which is which but I'm thinking you can tell the 8/6 from the 6/6 online. I'm also having trouble remembering whether you can specify the number traveling on the RCI weeks side but my recollection is you can only specify unit size, not number
You can tell, and you can enter both unit size and occupancy in the ongoing request online. But, the problem is *all* of the HGVC 2BR deposits at both of these resorts are coded as 6/4 at I-Drive and 6/6 at Sea World. After discussing it with the resort, my impression is that this is done on purpose, so that they have flexibility in unit assignments.

For many people this probably doesn't matter---and the chances are good that you can request one and get it. But, I prefer to have a guarantee and given the number of great resorts in Orlando, I can afford to be picky.

Ok, got a little more info from MIL. She owns 2 timeshares with Rci, both weeks based. One is in Branson MO with floating weeks (late spring thru summer), but don't know the name of it, the other is in Ft Lauderdale and she said its a Westin resort with a set week, she said in August sometime. I asked my MIL to check Nov, Dec 2010 for DVC, we'll see if she checks, I don't want to pester her too much since it's a gift to us.

As far as breakdown of family, we do need the 2 queen beds or double beds in the 2nd bedroom, since I have my daughter (8), my two sons (5 and 4) and my husbands son (10). My boys will share a bed and DD will get her own, and step son will get his own bed, so I would like the pull out couch in livingroom.

I'll give my MIL my waitlist for all DVC properties plus the others we've discussed, including the Vistana. Thanks, Brian Noble, for all the detailed info you provided about when deposits are made. That's very helpful to a newbie like me. It would be helpful if my mil would give me access to the Rci website so I could browse around. She said I have a membership card since she purchased this timeshare for my family to use each year. But, she hasn't given it to me yet. I think I'll take my chances with the Hiltons and include them even though I can't guarantee the sleeps 8 part. I guess my plan is to take the first thing that comes available from my waitlist, I'll keep you posted!! I realize that means probably a zero chance of DVC, but I don't want to roll the dice. I want to make sure we get something really nice.

As far as breakdown of family, we do need the 2 queen beds or double beds in the 2nd bedroom, since I have my daughter (8), my two sons (5 and 4) and my husbands son (10). My boys will share a bed and DD will get her own, and step son will get his own bed, so I would like the pull out couch in livingroom.
You should have her list the occupancy of the request for 8, rather than 6, and this will guarantee that anything you match will have at least four beds that are all doubles or larger. Otherwise, you might end up with a unit with, say, twin beds in the 2nd BR, which might not work for you.

I think taking the first thing you get is wise. I doubt that a summer branson or August Florida week will pull DVC.

You can tell, and you can enter both unit size and occupancy in the ongoing request online. But, the problem is *all* of the HGVC 2BR deposits at both of these resorts are coded as 6/4 at I-Drive and 6/6 at Sea World. After discussing it with the resort, my impression is that this is done on purpose, so that they have flexibility in unit assignments.

For many people this probably doesn't matter---and the chances are good that you can request one and get it. But, I prefer to have a guarantee and given the number of great resorts in Orlando, I can afford to be picky.
I was thinking I could tell previously with some listed 8/6 but am not certain. However, if they are listed as 6 and you request 8, they will not match at all. As I noted, Hilton is very responsive to requests so I doubt it'd be a problem and it sounds like a workable for a sleep 6 regardless for the family situation.

Can my MIL trade out for the RCI points based timeshares or just the weeks based timeshares? When I was looking at my list on the RCI website, some of the timeshares are points based like the Hilton's, Bonnet Creek, etc. Since she owns a weeks-based timeshare, does that matter at all? I don't want to give her my waitlist for properties she can't even waitlist for. I'm thinking it doesn't matter, but I want to be sure before I give her my final list:
DVC
Oasis Lakes at the Fountains
HGVC on IDrive
HGVC @ SeaWorld
Wyndham Bonnet creek
Sheraton vistana
The Fountains
Royal Palms
Houses at Summer Bay
Cypress Harbour

With all these on my waitlist, can I be almost sure to get something for presidents week 2011? Thank you so very much to all of you who have offered your advice and expertise! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter